No announcement yet.

Has our skipper entered the panic room?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has our skipper entered the panic room?

15 games in and standing @ 6-9, has our manager entered the panic room? It sure seemed like it by starting Sheffield, and Cora. If this was Willie instead of Jerry he'd be getting his head handed to him. I look at it this way, Manuel can only play the players he has been given. Has he made mistakes??? Yes. He named Murphy the LF about 1 week into Spring Training, and IMHO it has backfired defensively. Murphy is going to be a very good hitter when all is said, and done. However in my estimation he lacks fundamentals towards playing the OF, and that only comes with practical playing time, so I feel we'll have to sink, or swim with Murphy until he gets better. Playing Sheffield about 50% of the time isn't the answer either, nor is signing Willie Mo Pena and hoping he can contribute. Yesterday's lineup had some positives to it. Beltran, and Wright switched around seemed to work, and would have resulted in a win had Hernandez, and some of the other pitchers give up the 12 runs to St. Louis. The bottom line is unless the Mets start becoming really good, especially in clutch hitting situations, and the Marlins come back to earth, it's gonna be a long year. Frankly I also don't see the GM of this team making any deals to get the quality pieces we need to contend. I'm not pushing the panic button, just being realistic.
    sigpic
    LETS GO METS !!!

I'm not worried yet. Everything that could go wrong with the exception of bullpen collapses has. Our SP outside of Santana has been horrible, and the lineup can't hit with RISP. If our SP pitches decent and we get a few clutch hits we can turn this around. It's not asking much, and I think we are a very talented team, which will turn it around. I say we even make the playoffs this year. Here's hoping I don't eat my words! :gt
    unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
    unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
    unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

It WAS a day game after a night game. I wouldn't read too much into the lineup changes.

They got Wily Mo Pena to fill the minor league roster. A lot of teams are looking for that right handed power bat in the OF. If he hits, you call him up and give him a shot. If not, nothing lost. Look at last year when they lost OFs and some of the guys they called up.
      Last edited by NYMets523; 04-24-2009, 02:54 PM.
      "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Originally posted by theAmazingMet View Post
        Everything that could go wrong with the exception of bullpen collapses has.
        Ironically, that was our biggest prblem last year

the lineup can't hit with RISP. If our SP pitches decent and we get a few clutch hits we can turn this around.
        I think this is our priority. How many, like 18 left on last night? Come on!! :hissyfit:

I say we even make the playoffs this year. Here's hoping I don't eat my words! :gt
        Not holding my breath yet. The bright side is, it's only april. Maybe we'll brak tradition and finish off with a bang!
        In LOVE with a Yankees fan :silent:

Comment

Originally posted by JerseeJerry55 View Post
          I look at it this way, Manuel can only play the players he has been given. Has he made mistakes??? Yes. He named Murphy the LF about 1 week into Spring Training, and IMHO it has backfired defensively. Murphy is going to be a very good hitter when all is said, and done. However in my estimation he lacks fundamentals towards playing the OF, and that only comes with practical playing time
          So how was this a mistake? How would naming Murphy as the Mets LF affect his play defensively. He needs playing time - as you state. You seem to contradict yourself. An explanation is required.

Comment

Originally posted by ReyesOfHope View Post
            So how was this a mistake? How would naming Murphy as the Mets LF affect his play defensively. He needs playing time - as you state. You seem to contradict yourself. An explanation is required.
            No expanation will be given.
            sigpic
            LETS GO METS !!!

Comment

Originally posted by ReyesOfHope View Post
              I think he's just saying that installing Murphy as the everyday LF when he had very little experience out there might have been a mistake. He clearly wasn't ready to take the field. Yes, his hitting is strong, but he still needs work on his defense.

The good news is that Murphy seems to be playing more solidly in the field, perhaps because Manuel is giving him nights off to occasion so he isn't overwhelmed.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X