Beltran's curtain call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beltran's curtain call

It was very interesting to see what happened after Carlos just hit his homer now. The fans called for him, and he really didn't want to go out -- Julio Franco had to egg him on. Carlos did duck out for a very brief and cursory wave. The announcers are spending time on it.

Originally posted by VIBaseball
    It was very interesting to see what happened after Carlos just hit his homer now. The fans called for him, and he really didn't want to go out -- Julio Franco had to egg him on. Carlos did duck out for a very brief and cursory wave. The announcers are spending time on it.
    Watching it on MASN. The Washington announcers did the same.

It can't be said fan reaction has been any too warm regarding Beltran's lack of production these three games. He's catching it for last year, too. At $19 mil per year, the fans want more. So does Wilpon.

Carlos no doubt has this going through his mind. Can he handle the New York crowd, the press?
    Last edited by Bob Hannah; 04-09-2006, 03:21 PM.

Comment

They booed him each time he came to bat last night and part of tonight, frankly I don't think the fans deserved a curtain call. It's a sign of respect to the fans, if they don't respect you they don't deserve the same respect back.
      Best posts ever:
      Originally posted by nymdan
      Too... much... math... head... hurts...
      Originally posted by RuthMayBond
      I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

You could see he wasn't very happy about going back out there. Many pundits wondered if he was mentally tough enough to play in NY. He is a sensitive person.
        Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Here is a video about the curtain call:

http://www.15sports.com/new-york-met...ain-call-video

Here is a TV segment showing the curtain call incident:

http://media.putfile.com/beltran-speaks

Comment

There's another article about this in today's NY Post. Apparently it wasn't Julio Franco who got Carlos to go out there -- it was the Lord.

"...in the beginning I didn't feel like doing it, but I just put myself in the situation of what God would have done...I'm a Christian..."

For those of you who are old enough, this reminds me of the sappy religious-themed Claymation show that used to run early on Sunday mornings, Davey and Goliath. Goliath the dog would always say to the boy, "But Davey...what would Jesus do?"

Comment

Originally posted by VIBaseball
              There's another article about this in today's NY Post. Apparently it wasn't Julio Franco who got Carlos to go out there -- it was the Lord.

"...in the beginning I didn't feel like doing it, but I just put myself in the situation of what God would have done...I'm a Christian..."

For those of you who are old enough, this reminds me of the sappy religious-themed Claymation show that used to run early on Sunday mornings, Davey and Goliath. Goliath the dog would always say to the boy, "But Davey...what would Jesus do?"
              Christian/curtain call. I don't see the connection. Actually in a way I do.

Comment

He's a big baby...If you get paid $19 mil a year, and you're not earning it, you're going to get booed -- especially in NY. He has to earn the respect of the fans, and it only helps to make a curtain call...
                ~MOE

Moonlight Graham
                ...one game, no at-bats...

RisingApple.com

Comment

Curtain calls are WAY overdone. Carlos, if you don't want to come out for one, that's fine. Stick to your guns. Talking about it like it's something that some god would do makes you sound like a nut.

Comment

Originally posted by wamby
                    Curtain calls are WAY overdone. Carlos, if you don't want to come out for one, that's fine. Stick to your guns. Talking about it like it's something that some god would do makes you sound like a nut.
                    Yes, I agree, they are overdone. But the fact of the matter is that if you watched the video of it, he actually looked like an angry infant when Franco was convincing him to do it. It's just something that you do in baseball -- even if it is overdone.
                    ~MOE

Moonlight Graham

RisingApple.com

Comment

Originally posted by moebarguy
                      Yes, I agree, they are overdone. But the fact of the matter is that if you watched the video of it, he actually looked like an angry infant when Franco was convincing him to do it. It's just something that you do in baseball -- even if it is overdone.
                      They one of the newer elements of baseball that I hope go into the scrapheap soon.

Comment

I don't think it's THAT bad...
                        ~MOE

Moonlight Graham

RisingApple.com

Comment

Another good day for Beltran.

Will we look back on that curtain call as a turning point? Who knows. :noidea

But i do know it would have been a colossal mistake if he didnt go out for the curtain call.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X