Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mets re-branding/logo refresh... is it time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mets re-branding/logo refresh... is it time?

I've been a Mets fan for all my life but I've been thinking if it's time that perhaps they updated their image. I'm not talking about a complete overhaul and makeover, but keep the same basic elements and just refresh them for a cleaner and simpler look.

I don't know how long Boston had this, but I recently noticed on their away uniforms they basically have only two colors... a gray uniform with solid dark blue lettering. It looks very clean and simple.

On contrast, the Mets have blue lettering, orange outlines, and black backdrops on all their logo types - I think it just looks too busy, even comic book-like. Same goes for the insignias on the black caps it looks like it's trying to be 3D or something.

Obviously this is NOT the most concerning issue with the Mets but something I'd like to bring up nonetheless. Anybody else agree that the Mets lettering and logos should be a little cleaner? It's a mix and match of too many colors IMO.
    STOP ABUSING COFFEE

Sure, get rid of all the black. Back to basics. Pinstriped whites at home, road grays. Blue hats all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by metfan13 View Post
      Sure, get rid of all the black. Back to basics. Pinstriped whites at home, road grays. Blue hats all the time.
      Works for me!

Comment

To give a better understanding of what I meant with the Red Sox unis, here's a pic:

Notice how clean, simple, and nice it looks?

On contrast the Mets have 3 different colors on their letters because of the outlines and backdrops and it looks too busy (the fact that that blue/orange are contrasting colors makes it even worse). I'm not a fan of the 3D backdrop effect.
        Last edited by RayNY; 05-04-2009, 03:16 PM.
        STOP ABUSING COFFEE

Comment

Those road uniforms are like their 80's ones. I hate the sox on the sleeve though. But I digress...

The black should be phased out. The ONLY color the interlocking NY should EVER be is solid orange. I hate the blue with orange outline and I hate the blue with white and black outlining.
          "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Yea the mets have to many color/ jersey combinations. One day they have black jerseys, then they have white jerseys with black shirts/ sox underneath, plain white with blue underneath, then they have white pinstripes with blue shirts/ sox underneath. Get rid of the black, get one home and away jersey, then have one blue alternative
            1901 1957 1958 1981 1982 2008

19 4 34 44 42

Comment

Get rid of the black.

Comment

My main subject matter on this thread was actually about the logotypes themselves (METS, NEW YORK, NY) and how I dislike them looking so busy with the outlines and backdrops with the contrasting colors as the outlines... it looks cartoonish IMO especially with the black backdrop shadows behind the logos.

But I agree with you guys about there being too many different uniforms as well. Get rid of the black. I also don't like the black/blue cap. A solid blue cap with an orange insignia is all they need.
                STOP ABUSING COFFEE

Comment

Originally posted by RayNY View Post
                  My main subject matter on this thread was actually about the logotypes themselves (METS, NEW YORK, NY) and how I dislike them looking so busy with the outlines and backdrops with the contrasting colors as the outlines... it looks cartoonish IMO especially with the black backdrop shadows behind the logos.

But I agree with you guys about there being too many different uniforms as well. Get rid of the black. I also don't like the black/blue cap. A solid blue cap with an orange insignia is all they need.

I agree. I just thought that eliminating black from their color scheme was the easiest way to simplify the look of the logos, etc.

Comment

Also on board. Lose the black drop shadows. Home white stripes with Mets, road gray with NEW YORK. Done.

Hate team names on the road.
                    Classic baseball and ballparks https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

Comment

My fave is the pinstripes and the white uni's with blue hats. But I dont mind the other combos. I actually would love to see us incorporate the old school pullover pinstripe jerseys with the thick orange and blue stripes down the sleeves. And for the grey i wouldnt mind seeing the OLD New York font we used in the 80's. The blue hats are the classics and the best, but I do like having other color hats to wear myself everyday to match with different outfits, etc.
                      Last edited by Jbutta29; 05-05-2009, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RayNY View Post
                        I've been a Mets fan for all my life but I've been thinking if it's time that perhaps they updated their image. I'm not talking about a complete overhaul and makeover, but keep the same basic elements and just refresh them for a cleaner and simpler look.

I don't know how long Boston had this, but I recently noticed on their away uniforms they basically have only two colors... a gray uniform with solid dark blue lettering. It looks very clean and simple.

On contrast, the Mets have blue lettering, orange outlines, and black backdrops on all their logo types - I think it just looks too busy, even comic book-like. Same goes for the insignias on the black caps it looks like it's trying to be 3D or something.

Obviously this is NOT the most concerning issue with the Mets but something I'd like to bring up nonetheless. Anybody else agree that the Mets lettering and logos should be a little cleaner? It's a mix and match of too many colors IMO.
                        I'm a uniform freak, and am a stickler for the correct detail. have been since the mid 1980's since I worked for a sporting goods chain in New York named Gerry Cosby's. If you're a native New Yorker, and a sports fan you know them well. The numbering/lettering style they currently use is techinically called "drop shadow". I have thought about this for awhile, and have replied to a couple of posts already.
                        I always have loved the home pinstripeg models since my first game as a little boy back in 1970. I loved the road grays as well.
                        I would love to see the following combinations used:
                        Home- White w/ pinstripes, Blue cap
                        Road- Gray, Black/Blue cap
                        Alternative- Black top "Mets" for Fox/ESPN games only, Black/Blue cap
                        Ditch the following "Snow White" uniforms, all Black Cap. The team has ditched the Black alternative top w/ "New York" across the front.
                        The drop shadow lettering/numbering as far as I am concerned can stay put.
                        Just my 2 copper circles.
                        sigpic
                        LETS GO METS !!!

Comment

Originally posted by metfan13 View Post
                          Solid.
                          Oh for a sunny afternoon at Sicks...

Comment

It seems most everyone prefers the Mets traditional home and road uniforms, including myself. Note, too, that their official alternate logo now depicts black skyscrapers. Wikipedia states, "With the introduction of black as an official color, an alternate team logo was created. It is identical to the original logo, but the skyline is black instead of blue."

It's a shame they don't wear their traditional uniforms more often. I'm curious as to why they did away with the black "New York" road uniforms?
                            Last edited by Let's Go Mets!; 05-21-2009, 10:13 AM.
                            Let's Go Mets!
                            New York Mets fan since 1962

Comment

I'm all for re-branding. As in, this should be their only logo:

And this should be their only home uniform:

No name, no drop shadow and stirrups, as well!

And this should be their only road uniform:

Name on back acceptable for the road.

And this should be their only hat:

And this should be their only dugout jacket:

Back to basics!!! Traditional ballpark, traditional uniform!

And if it means anything while we're at it: Yankees! Get rid of those crappy dugout jackets with the new script and go back to the old script!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X