Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should the Mets sign in the upcoming free agency?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who should the Mets sign in the upcoming free agency?

Some Mets in the offseason will be come free agents such as 1B Carlos Delgado. Heres the free agent list.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/1...lb-free-a.html

I think we should go for Brandon Webb or Jason Bay.
    Brandon Webb
    18.18%
    Josh Beckett
    0.00%
    Jason Bay
    18.18%
    Victor Martinez
    13.64%
    Miguel Tejada
    4.55%
    Melvin Mora
    4.55%
    Matt Holliday
    9.09%
    Magglio Ordonez
    4.55%
    Vladimir Guerrero
    9.09%
    Jermaine Dye
    0.00%
    Jim Thome
    0.00%
    Cliff Lee
    4.55%
    Rich Harden
    9.09%
    Jason Giambi
    0.00%
    Other (be specific)
    4.55%

If the Mets don't win this year or at least do well, then they should really shake things up. I would like to see some new blood and a change of some of the core.

Obviously Delgado will be gone, so you need a new 1b (please no in house options since all appear to suck including Murphy) but maybe a trade involving Reyes as well.

I would definitely scrape the minors bare, but so what if you get back reasonably young talent in return? It's not like the minors are any great shakes anyway.

So.....
    try to make an Fmart/Neise/Putz trade for Adrian Gonzalez who is young and a very good 1b with power (even playing at Petco).

Sign Rich Harden for the number 2 spot in the rotation, I am guessing 12-14 mil?

Try to trade: Reyes, Evans and a decent lower level pitching prospect for Carl Crawford to play left, or "con" them into taking Perez if we pay a bunch of salary.

If the Reyes deal is successful, trade for Jack Wilson. I believe the Pirates have an option for 2010. Maybe Murphy and Gee...or Church in there somewhere.

Sign Adam Dunn, around 10 mil per year???

With the money coming off the books, plus the swapping of salaries, the Met's payroll would be about the same give or take.

Lineup:

Crawford lf
    Castillo 2b
    Beltran cf
    Dunn rf
    Gonzalez 1b
    Wright 3b
    Wilson ss
    Santos c

rotation:

Santana
    Harden
    Pelfrey
    Maine
    Redding

Parnell and Stokes could try out for the 8th inning slot and Green and Holt could try out for the seventh inning slot in the pen.

Just some crazy ideas for fun

Comment

A lot of those guys have options for 2010 which their teams are likely to pick up.

John Lackey may be a free agent if he and the Angels don't work out an extension. It's a long shot but I'd definitely go after him and give him Lowe money.
      Last edited by NYMets523; 05-20-2009, 10:46 PM.
      "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Originally posted by NYMets523 View Post
        A lot of those guys have options for 2010 which their teams are likely to pick up.

John Lackey may be a free agent if he and the Angels don't work out an extension. It's a long shot but I'd definitely go after him and give him Lowe money.
        Exactley my thoughts! I also believe that Berdard, Wakefield, and Wolf are options that could be likley, all though I'd like to see Parnell as a Starter, he throws strikes and gets everyone out.

Comment

brandon webb,josh beckett.victor matinez,cliff lee have options and will likely be picked up

jason bay,vladimir and mevlin mora will most likely resign with their respective teams

jason giambi,jim tome are like delgado so whats the point

matt holidays agent is scott boaras so theirs no way the mets even come close the asking price.they'd sooner stick murphy back in in left

jermaine dye really doesnt want to play in new york

Rich harden.not bad but frailty is a concern

miguel tejada.if your not gonna trade reyes then theres no point even giving him a thought

Comment

Originally posted by NJMetfan4life View Post
            Exactley my thoughts! I also believe that Berdard, Wakefield, and Wolf are options that could be likley, all though I'd like to see Parnell as a Starter, he throws strikes and gets everyone out.
            Wakefield has a perpetual option with the Red Sox and they will probably pick it up.
            "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Depending on the extent of his injury, and if Arizona for some reason decides not to exercise their option on Webb, he might prove to be a fantastic pick up.

Comment

Ok, how about an alternative to total retooling and consider trading for a guy like Brad Hawpe from Colorado to play left field. He is a real outfielder who plays good defense. His splits away from Coors show a .288 BA and an OPS of .931. He will turn 30 in June... makes about 5.5 mil. Not too shabby. Let Murphy play first until a ball hits him in the noggin. Then maybe trade for Nick Johnson. The defense would be a lot better.

Comment

Hawpe is insanely streaky, can't sniff lefties, and has poor range in the OF. We need righties anyway.

Comment

Angels are cheap and the big deals they make tend to be lousy (Hunter, Matthews Jr)

Comment

Serious? He's a .273/.328/.471 hitter and is barely above average (106 OPS+) over his career.

Comment

Mets should trade for Adrian Gonzalez. Sign Webb and look for a replacement at catcher.
                        "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives."
                        -Jackie Robinson

Comment

San Diego has said they won't trade Gonzalez and the Mets don't have the farm system to do it anyway. Webb has an option which is definitely going to be picked up.

Comment

Originally posted by NYMets523 View Post
                            Angels are cheap and the big deals they make tend to be lousy (Hunter, Matthews Jr)
                            I'd tend to agree that "Sarge" Jr. was probably a major mistake. But Torii Hunter cannot be lumped in as a bad signing. That guys a major ball hawk, and a winner. Beltran could take lessons from Hunter to be a complete ballplayer.
                            sigpic
                            LETS GO METS !!!

Comment

Originally posted by JerseeJerry55 View Post
                              I'd tend to agree that "Sarge" Jr. was probably a major mistake. But Torii Hunter cannot be lumped in as a bad signing. That guys a major ball hawk, and a winner. Beltran could take lessons from Hunter to be a complete ballplayer.
                              Hunter did not deserve the contract he got.

What has he won? Saying Beltran can learn some lessons from him is an insult to Beltran. Beltran doesn't need to learn anything from Torii Hunter who is inferior in every offensive statistic over his career to Beltran.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X