jackie robinson rotunda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jackie robinson rotunda

i would like to comment on how discusted i am in the mets decision to erect the jackie robinson rotunda. let me first say that i have the utmost respect for jack as a player and a person and what he stands for in baseball and in life. but the mets continue to miss the boat when it comes to paying homage to their own! when i walk thru the rotunda, mr wilpon, i want to see the 69 championship to the left and the 86 championship to the right. so when kids of future generations come to citifield they instantly learn about OUR history, met history, not a player who never played for OUR organization. once again i understand jackies place in new york baseball history, but its not the met fans fault that the dodgers moved and by the way still exist in LA. they should pay homage to him there. i dont even have a problem with the mets having an area somewhere in the ballpark for him. but i can tell you this; you NEVER see the yankees paying homage to anyone else but their own, and as much as i hate them, i give them kudos in this respect. That stadium and their franchise eats sleeps and.''.........'' yankees... they do it right ,and set themselves up for future yankee fans to embrace the tradition... the mets should take notes from them

countdown to coreyNYC in 3,2,1...

Comment

i dont know who corey nyc in 3,2 1 is or what the reference is but if the mets thought more about 69, 86 and 41 , not to mention 14, they would be doing the franchise justice. its too bad we have an owner whos obsessed with his childhood team and not the one he owns

Comment

hey i am in agreeance with you, but this has been discussed about a billion times here so just be prepared to hear that or not get any responses. I dont mind the Rotunda IDEAL, but I would prefer our main entrance be reserved for METS history as well.

Comment

I posted about this on both our "page" and the Dodger page and "battled" with many Met and Dodger fans. I went to a game on April 27th and I came in through the Left Field entrance. I won't go through the rotunda as long as I am able. Jackie Robinson was not a Met. No disrespect to Sir Jackie but I have no desire to root for the "3rd" favorite team in a "2" team town.

Comment

some of us are behind you all the way shea. i miss big shea. i think the mets disgraced the franchise by paying homage to a non-met like robinson. who cares about him anyway? i want to see mets stuff at a mets stadium. let the dodgers have robinson. i say tear down the rotunda and start fresh!!!!

Comment

thanks sky king... and by the way, what ever happened to the kingman fallout shelter?.....theres a memory.... and also... blind spots galore at citi.. went to game sunday vs. fish missed every ball hit in the Lf corner, which were all game changing plays...800 mill and theres blind spots....mingatz

Comment

Originally posted by shea organ 69 View Post
                thanks sky king... and by the way, what ever happened to the kingman fallout shelter?.....theres a memory.... and also... blind spots galore at citi.. went to game sunday vs. fish missed every ball hit in the Lf corner, which were all game changing plays...800 mill and theres blind spots....mingatz

i agree with you completely about the rotunda......but EVERY baseball park has blind spots, its just the way it is. Fans expecting every seat to be a fantastic, non-altered view were expecting something thats impossible (no matter what mets brass said)
                "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Comment

You are all entirely, horribly, and embarrassingly wrong.

Indeed, I'm ashamed that you're all Mets fans! Gives the phrase a bad name.

The JRR is one of the great public spaces constructed in New York in the last generation - and it pays tribute to the single greatest player in NYC baseball history, a giant of a man who put himself on the line with incredible dignity and grace to change this country.

How can you be so blind to the man's accomplishments and his singular place in New York baseball history, particularly National League baseball history.

The JRR inspires me and more importantly, it inspires my kids. If you think we should 'follow the Yankee way' then please, I'm begging you, go the whole hog and switch your allegiance to one of the last teams in baseball to integrate. Leave.

That said, it's also clear you're in the smallest of minorities (no pun intended) of Mets fan, most of whom love the Rotunda. Every time I pass through and see fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, grandfathers and little ones looking up at Jackie's words, it's just a grand thing. A few haters can't change that brilliant scene.
                  Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

I think that the JRR is a nice thing, very well made, looks good, and a good idea, except I cannot understand what that has to do with the Mets. If they want to honor him, build a park in his honor, not a stadium. I have nothing against him, I completely admire what he did, don't get me wrong, but he has no place in a METS ballpark, maybe as I stated earlier, a park or baseball field, made by whomever (Wilpon) but not a stadium for an barley connected team.:twocents:

Comment

Oh, for chrissake, who cares what the rotunda is called.

As Strawman said eloquently, "The JRR is one of the great public spaces constructed in New York in the last generation."

It's a nice big spacey area. Something Shea never had. And, as someone else once said (I think it was Shakespeare), what's in a name? A rose is a rose is a rose.

Speaking of Rose.... No, I promised myself to no longer go off on soapbox rants.
                      Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by Strawman View Post
                        You are all entirely, horribly, and embarrassingly wrong.

Indeed, I'm ashamed that you're all Mets fans! Gives the phrase a bad name.

The JRR is one of the great public spaces constructed in New York in the last generation - and it pays tribute to the single greatest player in NYC baseball history, a giant of a man who put himself on the line with incredible dignity and grace to change this country.

How can you be so blind to the man's accomplishments and his singular place in New York baseball history, particularly National League baseball history.

The JRR inspires me and more importantly, it inspires my kids. If you think we should 'follow the Yankee way' then please, I'm begging you, go the whole hog and switch your allegiance to one of the last teams in baseball to integrate. Leave.

That said, it's also clear you're in the smallest of minorities (no pun intended) of Mets fan, most of whom love the Rotunda. Every time I pass through and see fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, grandfathers and little ones looking up at Jackie's words, it's just a grand thing. A few haters can't change that brilliant scene.
                        I couldn't have said it better. To get upset at him being honoured is simply ignoring his accomplishments for the sport.

Comment

No one is mad at him being honored, we are mad that he was honored before all the great players,coaches and moments and even STADIUM who are the actual REASON for us being METS FANS. I actually think its a great thing that they paid homage to him in NY and meaningful, but I think that the fans would have been even MORE ecstatic with a METS HALL OF FAME MUSEUM or a METS HISTORY ROTUNDA. IF they wanted to do the JRR fine, but they should have had equal urgency to add something to honor past mets greats.

Comment

Originally posted by shea organ 69 View Post
                            i would like to comment on how discusted i am in the mets decision to erect the jackie robinson rotunda. let me first say that i have the utmost respect for jack as a player and a person and what he stands for in baseball and in life. but the mets continue to miss the boat when it comes to paying homage to their own! when i walk thru the rotunda, mr wilpon, i want to see the 69 championship to the left and the 86 championship to the right. so when kids of future generations come to citifield they instantly learn about OUR history, met history, not a player who never played for OUR organization. once again i understand jackies place in new york baseball history, but its not the met fans fault that the dodgers moved and by the way still exist in LA. they should pay homage to him there. i dont even have a problem with the mets having an area somewhere in the ballpark for him. but i can tell you this; you NEVER see the yankees paying homage to anyone else but their own, and as much as i hate them, i give them kudos in this respect. That stadium and their franchise eats sleeps and.''.........'' yankees... they do it right ,and set themselves up for future yankee fans to embrace the tradition... the mets should take notes from them
                            Every time someone walks into that stadium, they will be reminded of what he stood for, and hopefully will conduct themselves in a similar manner. Life is greater than baseball. If they put it somewhere else, not as many fans would be able to read his words and remember his courage. Too often we ignore or forget people as significant as Jackie Robinson. I'm glad the Wilpons embrace these values.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson.

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
                              Oh, for chrissake, who cares what the rotunda is called.

As Strawman said eloquently, "The JRR is one of the great public spaces constructed in New York in the last generation."
                              Quote for truth.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X