X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mets call up highly regarded Fernando Martinez

As taken from http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/news/art...=.jsp&c_id=nym

NEW YORK --
    The Mets placed shortstop Jose Reyes and right fielder Ryan Church on the 15-day disabled list Tuesday, calling up star prospect Fernando Martinez in the process.

Reyes, who has missed eight of the team's past 11 games, is still struggling with tendinitis in his right calf. The move is retroactive to last Thursday, when he took himself out of a game in Los Angeles in the third inning.

"When we went to San Francisco, I expected to miss one day," Reyes said. "Now this -- this is hard for me."

Ramon Martinez will make his sixth start of the season in Reyes' place, while the Mets also acquired veteran infielder Wilson Valdez from the Indians for cash considerations.

"We just thought this was the best course of action to take today," general manager Omar Minaya said. "We didn't see the progress from yesterday to today that we wanted to see."

One day after receiving good news from an MRI, Ryan Church was also put on the disabled list. Church is nursing a right hamstring injury and has not played since leaving Friday night's game in Boston.

It was around this time last season when Church missed close to two months with a concussion. He's happy at least that the injury is a little simpler this time.

"I'd rather deal with this thing than my head," Church said. "It's not going to be two months -- I'm not dizzy, and I know who I am."

Church was placed on the disabled list in part because of the uncertain status of center fielder Carlos Beltran, who will not start against the Nationals on Tuesday. Beltran had an MRI earlier Tuesday and was diagnosed with a bone bruise and inflammation of his right tibia. He will likely sit out the next two games with the intention of returning Friday when the Mets open a three-game series with the Marlins.

"Now in my head, I know there's nothing wrong with my hamstring or inside my knee," Beltran said. "I'm going to take it easy these next couple days, and the day off will help and hopefully next series I'll be ready."

With Church and Beltran out, the Mets will turn to 20-year-old Martinez in the outfield. Martinez, who was hitting .291 with eight home runs for Triple-A Buffalo, will bat sixth while patrolling right field Tuesday.

Both Minaya and manager Jerry Manuel each said Martinez will receive his share of starts until Church returns.

"When I get a young player, I like to put him in the lineup right away -- I like to put him in there and see what he can do," Manuel said. "I think it's important that he plays and gets an opportunity to get a feel for the Major Leagues. Once he gets that opportunity, he'll determine the rest of the playing time."

Reyes and Church join Carlos Delgado and Brian Schneider as Opening Day starters on the disabled list. The Mets did, however, receive some good news, as infielder Alex Cora said he is on track to return from the disabled list when he is eligible June 3 in Pittsburgh. Cora, who injured a ligament in his right thumb May 17 in San Francisco, plans to have surgery on the thumb after the season.

All the injuries mean the Mets' starting lineup will include just two players who started Opening Day in David Wright and Luis Castillo. The other six starters in the field have accumulated just 275 at-bats thus far this season -- or 10 fewer than Wright and Castillo have combined for.

"It happens to every club," Minaya said of the injuries. "You've got to ride it. The good thing is we're winning."
    Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

F-Mart is faster than I expected, he's got around Reyes speed, but didn't look to good in the field.

Comment

Originally posted by NJMetfan4life View Post
      but didn't look to good in the field.
      First MLB game jitters maybe?

Comment

Probably, although he does have a nice swing.

Comment

another met with horrible fundamentals.....

how do you not run out a popup?

Comment

A lot of players don't.
            "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Originally posted by areezee View Post
              another met with horrible fundamentals.....

how do you not run out a popup?
              When was the last time that you watched a MLB game? MOST of them don't because it is usually a sure out.

Comment

Really? Most just stand there and watch, not running even a step? Jerry should have pulled him right there and sat him down. He's playing his second game. You have to run. In fact, I'd send him back to Buffalo for good measure and make him walk to the airport.

Comment

Originally posted by EasilyFound View Post
                  Really? Most just stand there and watch, not running even a step? Jerry should have pulled him right there and sat him down. He's playing his second game. You have to run. In fact, I'd send him back to Buffalo for good measure and make him walk to the airport.
                  Good thing you're not a manager.

He got booed and apologized for it after. You really want to send him down and bring up god-knows-who to teach him a lesson? The last thing we need again is a manager who hates young guys and shows it.
                  "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Originally posted by NYMets523 View Post
                    Good thing you're not a manager.

He got booed and apologized for it after. You really want to send him down and bring up god-knows-who to teach him a lesson? The last thing we need again is a manager who hates young guys and shows it.
                    I totally agree. The last thing this team needs is a not trusting the young players Dusty Baker type. Yes while I agree Martinez should've busted it out of the box, he didn't. Listening to it on WFAN right after it happened, Howie Rose was livid, very animated, and all over Martinez stating that "Manuel should've pulled Martinez right there". Uhh Howie I usually agree with you, but not this time. As far as I am, concerned he made a rookie mistake, and you'd hope he learns from it. As a matter of fact today on WFAN they're all killing Martinez for it. The catcher should've caught it BTW. Most MLB players okey doke from time to time, going off assumption that the opponent will make the play. But to send him (Martinez) down off one poor decision, I definitely don't agree with that line of thinking. He's gotta learn how to be a MAJOR LEAGUE player, you don't do that down in the MINOR'S now do you???
                    sigpic
                    LETS GO METS !!!

Comment

"he made a rookie mistake"

Bingo. And there's a reason they call them rookie mistakes, too. Seriously...some of us are all over this guy before he plays five MLB games. Are they serious?
                      "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
                      -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

I don't think it was tragic, what he did last night. As others have said, how many veterans don't run out pop-ups, or other plays that obviously are out? Sure, it's a little league thing, but give the guy a break.
                        In LOVE with a Yankees fan :silent:

Comment

Originally posted by EasilyFound View Post
                          So in your estimation he's failed, doomed to be a bust, never to be seen again. I don't quite get it. I guess you never saw the following fine upstanding Mets players I am going to list:
                          Dave Kingman, Eddie Murray, Bobby Bonilla, Vince Coleman, Alex Ochoa, Ryan Thompson, Carlos Baerga, Roberto Alomar, Mackie Sasser, Gregg Jeffries, Kevin Elster, Todd Hundley, Darryl Strawberry, Ricky Henderson, Doc Gooden, David Cone. Shall I go on. All the players (and if I really thought about it I could've come up with more) I listed above at one time, or another did the following:
                          1) Loafed
                          2) Attacked the media, and in Bonilla's case almost physically
                          3) Threw fireworks into a crowd of people (Vince)
                          4) Refused to leg out a hit
                          5) Did drugs
                          6) Failed to throw the ball back to the pitcher (sorry Mackie)
                          7) Abused women
                          8) Did steroids supposedly (Hundley???)
                          All above listed issues are far worse than a rookie mistake in last nights game, in not running to 1B
                          sigpic
                          LETS GO METS !!!

Comment

Originally posted by kimthemetschick View Post
                            I don't think it was tragic, what he did last night. As others have said, how many veterans don't run out pop-ups, or other plays that obviously are out? Sure, it's a little league thing, but give the guy a break.
                            Agreed. Although chances are he never played little league in his country
                            sigpic
                            LETS GO METS !!!

Comment

Originally posted by JerseeJerry55 View Post
                              Agreed. Although chances are he never played little league in his country
                              they don't have Little League down there? :ooo: Damn, all the things we take for granted...
                              Last edited by kimthemetschick; 05-28-2009, 01:10 PM.
                              In LOVE with a Yankees fan :silent:

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X