No announcement yet.

Mets call up highly regarded Fernando Martinez

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sent back "down" to Buffalo? Uhh, no. IMO here's how Jerry should've handled it:

Innings over and the Mets are going to take the field. Just as Martinez reaches the top step of the dugout, Jerry yells out

"Hey! Rook! Come here! How about you take a seat next to me. you like watching the game so much, come watch it with me. REED! Grab your glove and get out to Right"

And then don't say another word to him about. Then on Friday, put him back in RF and the #6 spot.
    "...coming into the dugout and you're getting your ass hammered by guys, it's no better feeling than to have that done.'' - Matt Stairs :applaud:

Comment

Jerry handled it fine. I'm sure he spoke to him about it after it happened. He knows he messed up and you don't need to show him up to teach him. These are the kind of rookie mistakes that only happen once. The ball could have gone into foul territory anyway.

To me, not running out a groundball is more of a sin. I've lost track of all the times I've seen Delgado, Beltran, everyone barely move out of the box. Heck, recently Castro practically stopped halfway between 1B and 2B when someone hit a DP groundball to SS. That is something I hate more than a mistake like Fernando made.
      "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

[QUOTE=NYMets523;1530275]Jerry handled it fine. QUOTE]

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but for my money that's not a "mistake". The kid gave up on the play. That's something you have to put an end to IMMEDIATELY. Because if it starts with a pop fly, where does it end? More than that...a rookie? in his first callup to the bigs? He's supposed be like a shark...constantly moving. NO ONE should ever have to tell a rookie to "hustle". Then again i'm a bit more old school than most...
        "...coming into the dugout and you're getting your ass hammered by guys, it's no better feeling than to have that done.'' - Matt Stairs :applaud:

Comment

Originally posted by kimthemetschick View Post
          they don't have Little League down there? :ooo: Damn, all the things we take for granted...
          Yes unfortunately they don't. Sorry to burst your bubble. They do however have very nice mitts made from the finest cardboard boxes found in Latin America.
          sigpic
          LETS GO METS !!!

Comment

As much as I hate to say it, he's not the only person that isn't running things out. Has anyone else noticed that David Wright never hustles on ground balls? Although kudos to Tatis, HE runs everything and almost beats out most of it.

Comment

Originally posted by RunTimoDammit! View Post
              Sent back "down" to Buffalo? Uhh, no. IMO here's how Jerry should've handled it:

Innings over and the Mets are going to take the field. Just as Martinez reaches the top step of the dugout, Jerry yells out

"Hey! Rook! Come here! How about you take a seat next to me. you like watching the game so much, come watch it with me. REED! Grab your glove and get out to Right"

And then don't say another word to him about. Then on Friday, put him back in RF and the #6 spot.
              Right on! That is how Jerry should have handled it. Send him to Buffalo. That would be foolish. One mistake, I am quite sure that he learned his lesson from it.
              Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

Comment

Originally posted by RunTimoDammit! View Post
                Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but for my money that's not a "mistake". The kid gave up on the play. That's something you have to put an end to IMMEDIATELY. Because if it starts with a pop fly, where does it end? More than that...a rookie? in his first callup to the bigs? He's supposed be like a shark...constantly moving. NO ONE should ever have to tell a rookie to "hustle". Then again i'm a bit more old school than most...
                Martinez apologized for it and said he would never let it happen again.
                "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

He knows he messed up and you don't need to show him up to teach him.
                  Didn't we say the same thing about Reyes?

Comment

Originally posted by EasilyFound View Post
                    Perhaps you did. However, I for one did not. Reyes was more injury prone than mistake prone his 1st two seasons, anyway. The stark reality is that how much the Mets (or any other team for that matter does) pump up their prospects, they're going to be prone to making the rookie mistake, from time to time. I remember going to Shea back in 1998 right after we acquired Piazza, and the fickle, impatient Mets fans were all over him. In retrospect 11 years later how did that work out? Yes he wasn't a rookie then, but yet he made a number of mistakes based on the fact that he was unaccustomed to playing in a market as large as New York. Martinez, if he's indeed the future of this franchise needs to have some slack cut as he goes through his learning curve.
                    sigpic
                    LETS GO METS !!!

Comment

[QUOTE=RunTimoDammit!;1530331]
                      Originally posted by NYMets523 View Post
                      Jerry handled it fine. QUOTE]

There's a lot more issues on this team, then a raw rookie not hustling. If he never does it again, terrific. However, if he does it again he does it again, then he needs to have someone like HoJo sit him down, and talk to him.
                      sigpic
                      LETS GO METS !!!

Comment

Look at how Reyes' production dropped when Willie showed him up. Not everyone needs to be taught that way.

Originally posted by JerseeJerry55 View Post
                        There's a lot more issues on this team, then a raw rookie not hustling. If he never does it again, terrific. However, if he does it again he does it again, then he needs to have someone like HoJo sit him down, and talk to him.
                        They'll cross that bridge if/when they get to it.

Comment

Look at how Reyes' production dropped when Willie showed him up. Not everyone needs to be taught that way.
                          Well, then maybe someone should teach him to look at the guy who plays SS for the other NY team to learn how to act like a professional.

Comment

Well, then maybe someone should teach him to look at the guy who plays SS for the other NY team to learn how to act like a professional.
                            All Jeter is good for is Gillette, Gatorade, and Nike commercials.
                            Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X