Mets circular logo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mets circular logo

I didn't know that the logo showed two buildings i've never seen before. on the far left and the far right. i wonder if those are real-life buildings,or there just to round out the logo.the bridge is also a bit longer. also,the building where the "NY" would be looks different. kinda different than today's logo.

Originally posted by DukeBX View Post
    I didn't know that the logo showed two buildings i've never seen before. on the far left and the far right. i wonder if those are real-life buildings,or there just to round out the logo.the bridge is also a bit longer. also,the building where the "NY" would be looks different. kinda different than today's logo.
    Good eyes. It certainly has been changing through the years. There's also the black alternate logo (with shadowing), in use since 1999.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Let's Go Mets!; 05-28-2009, 12:35 PM.
    Let's Go Mets!
    New York Mets fan since 1962

Comment

Seems to me the blue logo posted above has the standard buildings in it. If you look at the logo with the NY I posted in the re-branding thread, it has the same building setup.

I'm sure in the earlier days, when there wasn't instant communication to ensure uniformity in such matters, the buildings would differ sometimes from logo presentation to logo presentation.

Comment

Not to mention that the little "NY" in that photo has serifs and the baseball seam has a line, unlike the standard version of the logo:
        Attached Files

Comment

great find guys! I also noticed the "e" and s" has a smaller opening than in today's look.

Comment

For what it's worth, the Mets' early history is replete with multiple versions of their logos.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DukeBX View Post

Here's the explanation from The Ultimate Mets Database:
              The logo was designed by sports cartoonist Ray Gatto, and was unveiled on November 16, 1961.
              The logo features the following
              1) Far left is a church spire symbolic of Brooklyn, the borough of churches.
              2) The Williamsburgh Savings Bank building. The tallest building in Brooklyn.
              3) The Woolworth Building in Manhattan.
              4) A general skyline of Manhattan, with the Empire State Building directly in the middle.
              5) Far right features the United Nations building.
              Incidentally the new Mets patch on the uniforms does NOT feature the NY inside the baseball that the original patch used.
              sigpic
              LETS GO METS !!!

Comment

Originally posted by JerseeJerry55 View Post
                Here's the explanation from The Ultimate Mets Database:
                The logo was designed by sports cartoonist Ray Gatto, and was unveiled on November 16, 1961.
                The logo features the following
                1) Far left is a church spire symbolic of Brooklyn, the borough of churches.
                2) The Williamsburgh Savings Bank building. The tallest building in Brooklyn.
                3) The Woolworth Building in Manhattan.
                4) A general skyline of Manhattan, with the Empire State Building directly in the middle.
                5) Far right features the United Nations building.
                Incidentally the new Mets patch on the uniforms does NOT feature the NY inside the baseball that the original patch used.
                Plus, as stated...."The bridge in the center symbolizes that the Mets, by bringing National League baseball back to New York, represent all five boroughs".
                Let's Go Mets!
                New York Mets fan since 1962

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X