Can anyone explain what this Koosman reference means

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone explain what this Koosman reference means

It's a long article so I'll just post the link.

In the fifth paragraph the writer brings uses Koos' name to symbolize something. I think.

Can any one decipher what he means

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...des/index.html

It doesn't mean anything in regards to Koosman specifically. It's just a very bad writer's poor attempt at being snarky. He seems to have pulled Koosman's name out of the air as an attempt at being clever and, at least to many of his readers, obscure.

Comment

The only thing I pulled from the article was that Lee and Koosman are both left handed...a Google search on Martinez didn't pulled up anything involving alcohol...so as the commissioner suggests...a bad reference.

Comment

"It's just a very bad writer's poor attempt at being snarky."

Bingo. If anything, one should associate Koosman with a guy who pitches forever, eats innings, and has a good cutter. Well...that and a guy who gets crummy run support (some of Koos' 1970's years were absolutely brutal in that sense...terrific ERA, horrible W/L).
        "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
        -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X