Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ramon Castro...TRADED

http://myespn.go.com/s/conversations/show/story/4216808

The Mets traded Ramon Castro to the Chicago White Sox for RP Lance Broadway. Thoughts?
    ~MOE

Moonlight Graham
    ...one game, no at-bats...

RisingApple.com

Terrible trade, I would have preferred them jettison Schneider who has never really impressed me, doesnt get any timely hits, and just doesnt seem to fit on this team. I really have liked Castros contributions.

Comment

Castro was massively overrated by this team's fanbase and, thanks to Omir Santos, somewhat expendable (he'll regress, but utility catchers truthfully aren't THAT hard to find). Broadway was a former 2005 first round draft pick who still has decent stuff, is capable of starting, was in Ozzie Guillen's doghouse, and is somewhat of a project who needed a change of scenery. If we can convert him back to starting and get anything out of him (i.e. have him pitch better than Tim Redding), I'll consider it a success.
      "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
      -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

Originally posted by Jbutta29 View Post
        Terrible trade, I would have preferred them jettison Schneider who has never really impressed me, doesnt get any timely hits, and just doesnt seem to fit on this team. I really have liked Castros contributions.
        We weren't going to get a lot for a catcher who right now probably has not a lot of upside. Remember like most of the average, to below avarage players this team has had recently (Endy Chavez, Damion Easley, Marlon Anderson, etc) that were thrust into starting positions for extended periods of time, they eventually came crashing back to Earth, because they were incapable of being long term solutions. You get a guy like Broadway in return, and Emil Brown for that matter, send them to AAA and see what they have down on the farm. Then they can possibly contribute from late June through September if they get promoted. Not earth shattering moves, but more like moves you need to make to fortify a stretch run. Remember Philly added Matt Stairs late last year. How did that work out??????? Pretty good I'd say.
        sigpic
        LETS GO METS !!!

Comment

Originally posted by moebarguy View Post
          http://myespn.go.com/s/conversations/show/story/4216808

The Mets traded Ramon Castro to the Chicago White Sox for RP Lance Broadway. Thoughts?
          25 year old RHP drafted in 2005 (1st round 15th overall) out of TCU. Has about 3 months ML service. Got in Ozzie's doghouse obviously. I like this deal for us.
          sigpic
          LETS GO METS !!!

Comment

I, too, like the deal. Although Castro played well at times for the Mets, Schneider is a much better defensively catcher who calls a better game, which is the main purpose of the catching position. Santos has played well enough to earn the shot at staying with the Mets. Broadway has a better amount of upside and can possibly be the #4 or 5 starter the second half of the season. Pitching is really what cost the Mets the past two seasons and they are trying to not repeat the same mistakes. Now, if everyone can get healthy and start hitting again.......

Comment

Wasn't Broadway the kid who Ozzie wanted to throw at a batter and he didn't so Ozzie took him out of the game for not hitting the batter. (Yes, that was a question, and yes it is a long run on sentence.)
              Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

Comment

They weren't going to trade him b/c he's making $5M (Nats gave him that contract just to clarify). He's much better than Castro defensively. Ramon has had his share of choking in important at-bats. Castro's work ethic, if it exists, has never impressed the Mets.

Ken Davidoff posted his thoughts on the deal. While he's usually wrong on rumors, I think he's accurate on this.

http://blogs.trb.com/sports/baseball...ramon_cas.html

He makes this comment "Throw in the facts that Castro a) has been anything but a positive clubhouse presence, and b) is brittle, and this is a risk worth taking, IMO."

A commentor asked: "Ken when you talk about Castro not being a postive clubhouse presense what do you mean? I know he has a rep as being lazy and he did show up to the ballpark late a couple of times or is it something more? We all know he's not a good guy as he was arrested and charged with sexual assault (he pleaded no contest) but wasn't he well liked in the clubhouse and looked as a prankster?"

His response: "Lazy and apathetic, graves9. Didn't take the job very seriously. People laughed at him but I don't think many respected him."

Yeah, the gum/Gatorade cup hats are cute but someone will keep doing that. I recall Adam Rubin saying on Daily News Live that the Mets told Castro in ST 2008 that he had a chance to be the everyday catcher and he was less then enthusiastic about that which was a turn off for them. In baseball stereotype speak, Castro wasn't a "hungry player" as a guy like Tatis (or Santos) is.

Originally posted by Dalkowski110 View Post
                Castro was massively overrated by this team's fanbase
                So very true. No one seems to acknowledge the fact that he's fallen apart every season with the Mets. We had Mike DiFelice and Sandy Alomar Jr as our 2 catchers at one point in 2007.

If we can convert him back to starting and get anything out of him (i.e. have him pitch better than Tim Redding), I'll consider it a success.
                That won't be hard.
                Last edited by NYMets523; 05-30-2009, 12:19 PM.
                "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Redding is pretty terrible...yeesh. I remember reading an interview with him and he came off totally cocky...

Comment

Originally posted by Dalkowski110 View Post
                    ...Broadway was a former 2005 first round draft pick who still has decent stuff...
                    Let's not talk about that draft. That's the one where the Mets selected Mike Pelfry over Jacoby Ellsbury. Nothing against Pelfry, he might still prove to have a great career, but I can't help but think Ellsbury might be helping them out a lot more.

As for the trade itself, so far Broadway hasn't shown much since college, but it's worth gambling on a new arm that won't even be 26 until August. It's good for him because he gets a fresh start, good for Castro because he'll get more playing time in Chicago, and good for Santos because it shows that the club has confidence in him.

Comment

"As for the trade itself, so far Broadway hasn't shown much since college, but it's worth gambling on a new arm that won't even be 26 until August."

I wouldn't QUITE say he's not shown much. He's had flashes of out and out brilliance, but has been very inconsistent, sometimes from game to game, sometimes from inning to inning. He's a finesse pitcher with a pretty good curve who, when he's hitting his spots with his fastball, is very good. His stuff isn't particularly conducive to being a reliever. He may have to throw his secondary stuff more, too.
                      "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
                      -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

Fully agree. Schneider is one of the worst catchers out there. Castro, while not great was a pretty good part time player. Dumb move by Minaya but I can imagine that nobody would take Schneider and Broadway once was considered a prospect.

Comment

Originally posted by The Commissioner View Post
                          Let's not talk about that draft. That's the one where the Mets selected Mike Pelfry over Jacoby Ellsbury. Nothing against Pelfry, he might still prove to have a great career, but I can't help but think Ellsbury might be helping them out a lot more.
                          Thank Minaya for that one. Ellsbury is not a very good player and never will be. Even Francona made a veiled reference to that yesterday.

He is a good player at Fenway where he can loop little fly balls into the wall. Anywhere else that is an easy out.

Pelfrey has a chance to be a good middle of the order starter. Worth a lot more than a part time starter / pinch-runner.

Comment

Originally posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
                            Fully agree. Schneider is one of the worst catchers out there. Castro, while not great was a pretty good part time player. Dumb move by Minaya but I can imagine that nobody would take Schneider and Broadway once was considered a prospect.
                            Schneider is not one of the worst catchers. He is good defensively but poor offensively as 90% of all catchers are.
                            "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

I was saddened about Castro's trade. As far as his saying he didn't want to be a regular catcher, well what are backup catchers for? And isn't he brittle? Maybe he knows it too. I wouldn't take that as amotivational. Give him credit for at least knowing his limitations, IFF that's the case.

I'm happy for Santos, especially his homer off the cocky, arrogant, bratty Papelbon. I still am not yet sold on him because older minor leaguers, if they do well when they arrive in the majors, usually crash and burn in a short time. I sure as hell hope Santos will be an exception. We need him to produce, and thank God he was in the mix today.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X