Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ramon Castro...TRADED

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by NYMets523 View Post
    Schneider is not one of the worst catchers. He is good defensively but poor offensively as 90% of all catchers are.
    Thank you for posting what I was just about to post.

    Personally, as much as I liked Castro --as both a player and a person -- I'm okay with the deal. Perhaps Santos' performances has made me a bit biased, but one of them had to go, and I'm glad Omar opted for Castro. I think it works well for both the Mets and Castro. I wish him all the best in the world.
    Put it in the books.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
      Fully agree. Schneider is one of the worst catchers out there. Castro, while not great was a pretty good part time player. Dumb move by Minaya but I can imagine that nobody would take Schneider and Broadway once was considered a prospect.
      In a word, wrong. We gave up a backup catcher, who yes has had success from time to time, but was expendable. In return we recieved a RHP who has definite upside potential. The last time we did the same type of move was in 1987. We dealt an average B/U catcher Ed Hearn for a RHP who had definite upside potential. His name was David Cone. Below you will see their stats from the year before they were dealt to the Mets.
      David Cone 1986 KC (AL): W-0 L-0, ERA 5.56,IP 22.2, H 29, R 14, ER 14, BB 13, SO 21, HR 4
      Lance Broadway 2008 Chi (AL) W-1 L-0, ERA 7.07, IP 14, H 20, R 11, ER 11, BB 5, SO 7
      As far as I'm concerned a pretty similar deal, and if I am right Braodway will pay more dividends for the Mets than Castro ever would have.
      sigpic
      LETS GO METS !!!

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
        Thank Minaya for that one. Ellsbury is not a very good player and never will be. Even Francona made a veiled reference to that yesterday.

        He is a good player at Fenway where he can loop little fly balls into the wall. Anywhere else that is an easy out.

        Pelfrey has a chance to be a good middle of the order starter. Worth a lot more than a part time starter / pinch-runner.
        His stats are certainly helped out by Fenway, but it's really a stretch to say he's "not a very good ballplayer". I hope you are right and that over the long haul Pelfrey does turn out to have been the better investment.

        Comment


        • #19
          Even if he doesn't, why would the Mets have drafted Ellsbury, a CF, when they had just signed Beltran to a 7-year deal?
          "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

          "If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

          "At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by NYMets523 View Post
            Even if he doesn't, why would the Mets have drafted Ellsbury, a CF, when they had just signed Beltran to a 7-year deal?
            I'm pretty sure he could have learned how to play one of the corners.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
              Fully agree. Schneider is one of the worst catchers out there. Castro, while not great was a pretty good part time player. Dumb move by Minaya but I can imagine that nobody would take Schneider and Broadway once was considered a prospect.
              Then how was it a dumb move? Anyway...listening to Dan Warthan on WFAN the other day, he side-stepped saying anything positive about Castros skills calling a game and working with the pitchers. He did compliment Santos directly and stated the pitchers really like throwing to him. At worst, Schneider gives them a LH bat.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by NYMets523 View Post
                Even if he doesn't, why would the Mets have drafted Ellsbury, a CF, when they had just signed Beltran to a 7-year deal?
                Teams draft based upon talent and projection regardless of the 40-man roster.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by The Commissioner View Post
                  His stats are certainly helped out by Fenway, but it's really a stretch to say he's "not a very good ballplayer". I hope you are right and that over the long haul Pelfrey does turn out to have been the better investment.
                  If a first round pick turns out to be a MLB regular, consider it to be a successful pick. The Mets considered Pelfrey to have more upside at the time of the draft. Nitpicking over the order is ridiculous since projecting a player 3, 4, 5 years forward is a most difficult "science".

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by The Commissioner[/quote
                    I'm pretty sure he could have learned how to play one of the corners.
                    Need someone with more power for the corner OF spots.

                    Originally posted by ReyesOfHope View Post
                    Teams draft based upon talent and projection regardless of the 40-man roster.
                    The fact that they signed Beltran to a 7-year deal the offseason before was very likely taken into account, too.
                    "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

                    "If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

                    "At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by NYMets523 View Post
                      The fact that they signed Beltran to a 7-year deal the offseason before was very likely taken into account, too.
                      No. You don't know where a player is going to wind up (you said it yourself, he could play a corner OF position), or more importantly - whether or not he succeeds. Nor do you know if the player you signed will become injured, etc. And players have been dealt in the middle of long term contracts. You always take the player rated highest on your draft list.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by ReyesOfHope View Post
                        No. You don't know where a player is going to wind up (you said it yourself, he could play a corner OF position)
                        I didn't say that.

                        You always take the player rated highest on your draft list.
                        Not always.
                        "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

                        "If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

                        "At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Is to. Is not.

                          Comment

                          Ad Widget

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X