Putz needs to go back to Seattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putz needs to go back to Seattle

No wonder the Mariners gave up this guy. Putz is absolutely lost, and frankly he has sucked for the better part of the last month. I would've brought in Parnell if he was available. They deserve to lose this game the way they have played tonight.
    sigpic
    LETS GO METS !!!

When Keith said "Jerry isn't walking Young..." I thought "Why bother? Putz is just going to walk him anyway." The thing I hated the most about his performance tonight was his intentional walk. Sounds like a weird complaint but his body language looked like he just didn't care. One pitch was, as Gary pointed out, nearly a strike and the last ball was far to Schneider's left. If you're going to give an IBB, at least concentrate.

I wouldn't say he has to go back to Seattle. He can still be an important player in the pen. But he needs to be used in less critical situations.

Something has to be wrong with his arm. He's not been throwing his splitter which is his out-pitch and I don't believe he threw any breaking pitch tonight, it was all fastballs.
    "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

I was pretty lukewarm about the deal because 1) Sean Green ain't any good, and 2) it was highly unlikely that the dominant Putz was in the house still - otherwise why would SEA, who had a crappy bullpen behind Putz, let him go for not much?

Also, if you look at Putz' minor league numbers, there was no indication that he could ever have been as dominant as he was for a couple of yrs... I dunno how he did it, but the magic is worn off.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=putz--001jos

A decent RP was all you could have realistically hoped for, and now it seems he may not be 100%. Perhaps he's gutting it out because it's his contract year? (It is his contract year, right? I am not sure)

Comment

Perhaps we should get Schoeneweiss and Heilman back?

Give the guy a break. He's an exponentially better reliever than anything we had last year. As well, it takes just a little adjustment to go from elite closer to 8th inning set-up man. I say give him a chance. He's been with the team for only a little more than two months.
        Put it in the books.

Comment

sometimes closers have trouble pitching in non save situations

Comment

sometimes they have problems pitching in mop up situations

Comment

Well, now the truth is coming out as Putz is hurt, again. I know it's the first time as a Met but this guy has been an injury risk in the past. That might explain his horrid pitching lately.
              unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
              unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
              unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

Originally posted by theAmazingMet View Post
                Well, now the truth is coming out as Putz is hurt, again. I know it's the first time as a Met but this guy has been an injury risk in the past. That might explain his horrid pitching lately.
                So in essence JJ is Ka"Putz" for the next 10-12 weeks?
                sigpic
                LETS GO METS !!!

Comment

Shame, because Putz can be very effective.
                  Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST View Post
                    Shame, because Putz can be very effective.
                    It is a shame. Let's hope he'll be himself again when he returns down the homestretch. ...and for the rest of his career.
                    Put it in the books.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X