This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

Let's not forget who interceded with the Madoff trustee to entrench the Wilpon regime. The Madoff trustee had witnesses who testified Fred and Saul were told what was up. Fred should have been forced to sell to pay clawback. Selig's loan was small potatoes by comparison.
    Selig/Fred were in the good ole boys club. Selig should have forced the sale (as we have both said many times), but he didn't.

Not go down another road, but Selig was a hideous commissioner, and every bit the lower type of human that Fred is. The handling of the steroid situation was all we needed to see.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

Selig/Fred were in the good ole boys club. Selig should have forced the sale (as we have both said many times), but he didn't.

Not go down another road, but Selig was a hideous commissioner, and every bit the lower type of human that Fred is. The handling of the steroid situation was all we needed to see.

Fred and Bud were partners in nefarious activities for years. Doubleday filed suit after he got screwed by them out of his remaining half of the team.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...ts7-story.html

But regarding the "campaign contribution", we should remember who helped Fred slither out of the Madoff scandal, while hanging onto the Mets and hundreds of million of stolen money. It was the then-mayor and then (and current) governor. His father, the elder statesman, was the one who met with Picard to personally apply the pressure. Here he is giving Fred a congratulatory chest bump on the courthouse steps:

They say, past a certain age, you get the face you deserve.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

They say, past a certain age, you get the face you deserve.
        I guess he doesn't have a portrait of himself in his attic....

20-Game Saturday Plan, Prom Box 423.

Comment

• The Wilpons are in talks to sell the team to Steve Cohen.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...d&cmpId=google

The owners of the New York Mets are in talks to sell up to 80% of the Major League Baseball team to billionaire Steve Cohen, who is already an investor in the club, according to person familiar with the matter.

Mets in talks to sell 80% of team to Steve Cohen

The transaction would value the team at $2.6 billion, said the person, who asked not to be identified because the talks are private. The Mets confirmed the talks in a statement.

Steve Cohen
          Photographer: Simon Dawson/Bloomberg

Fred Wilpon, the team’s principal owner, will remain in his current role for at least five years, at which time Cohen will have a path to controlling the franchise, said the person. Jeff Wilpon, his son, will remain as the team’s chief operating officer for the five-year period, the person said.

Cohen, whose net worth is $9.2 billion, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, will remain as chief executive of Point72 Asset Management, the person said. He didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

Fred Wilpon is making the move as part of estate and philanthropic planning, the person said. The Wilpons will retain a stake in the franchise they assumed control of in 2002, the person said.
          Last edited by Mongoose; 12-04-2019, 02:07 PM.

Comment

The Wilpons are in talks to sell the team to Steve Cohen.
            Very interesting to say the least...
            I hope it's the whole megillah (Team, Stadium (lease), TV Network), and not just the team...

Comment

• Originally posted by dstoffa View Post

I hope it's the whole megillah (Team, Stadium (lease), TV Network), and not just the team...
              That would be nice, but frankly, so long as they relinquish organizational control, and the team can be run like it belongs in a big city, I'll be just fine with it.

Put it in the books.

Comment

• Originally posted by dstoffa View Post

The deal with SNY is so bad, the team alone might not be very profitable. Hence, the relatively low sale price. I think the SNY contract runs out in 2031. Too busy to check right now.

Comment

• Per ESPN if it goes thru, Cohen will be the richest owner in MLB and second to Clippers owner in professional sports.

I almost drove off the FDR drive when I heard this, flipping between Michael Kay and Mike Francesa.

Comment

• Mets in Talks to Sell 80% of Team to Billionaire Steve Cohen
                    by Scott Soshnick

The owners of the New York Mets are in talks to sell up to 80% of the Major League Baseball team to billionaire Steve Cohen, who is already an investor in the club, according to person familiar with the matter.

The transaction would value the team at $2.6 billion, said the person, who asked not to be identified because the talks are private. The Mets confirmed the talks in a statement.

Fred Wilpon, the team’s principal owner, will remain in his current role for at least five years, at which time Cohen will have a path to controlling the franchise, said the person. Jeff Wilpon, his son, will remain as the team’s chief operating officer for the five-year period, the person said.

Cohen, whose net worth is $9.2 billion, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, will remain as chief executive of Point72 Asset Management, the person said. He didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

Fred Wilpon is making the move as part of estate and philanthropic planning, the person said. The Wilpons will retain a stake in the franchise they assumed control of in 2002, the person said.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...cohen-k3rra77k
                    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• Interesting tweet by Joel Sherman:

https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/sta...29233193869312

"There's long been talk Fred Wilpon’s brother-in-law Sol Katz wanted out of the #Mets business and his children did not want to partner with Jeff Wilpon. There were going to be succession issues. This allows the Wilpons/Katzes to slowly sell to get $, stay in charge a bit longer."

Looks like Jeffy's cousins don't like him either.

Comment

Interesting tweet by Joel Sherman:

https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/sta...29233193869312

"There's long been talk Fred Wilpon’s brother-in-law Sol Katz wanted out of the #Mets business and his children did not want to partner with Jeff Wilpon. There were going to be succession issues. This allows the Wilpons/Katzes to slowly sell to get $, stay in charge a bit longer."

Looks like Jeffy's cousins don't like him either.
                        I saw his article earlier this evening and, aside from thinking the title was a little odd considering all the information in it, thought to myself how key this is. I mean, I could be wrong, but my gut says if they liked each other, this probably doesn't happen. Maybe it's a good thing JefFred isn't well liked.

Anyway, how nice is it to think that a true fan with deep pockets (and an intent to invest) will have an effect that won't take long to be felt? I've been walkin' around all night gigglin' like a schoolgirl.

https://nypost.com/2019/12/04/steve-...r-the-yankees/
                        Put it in the books.

Comment

• The next step is getting intelligent people to spent his money. Any idiot with a checkbook can sign the Coles and Strasburgs of the world, but the farm system, drafting scouting and little things matter. The word negotiations and, staying on 5 years make me queasy.I just pray this does not turn into a Daniel Snyder.

Comment

• Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
                            The next step is getting intelligent people to spent his money. Any idiot with a checkbook can sign the Coles and Strasburgs of the world, but the farm system, drafting scouting and little things matter. The word negotiations and, staying on 5 years make me queasy.I just pray this does not turn into a Daniel Snyder.
                            Or Dolan. Cohen is worth between 7 and 10 Billion MORE depending if Forbes or Bloomberg is more accurate.

Comment

The deal with SNY is so bad, the team alone might not be very profitable. Hence, the relatively low sale price. I think the SNY contract runs out in 2031. Too busy to check right now.
                              I read in a Q&A Article (I think it was the Post), that SNY is not being included in the deal. So, if the new owner of the Mets wants to own the TV network, the new owner will need to pull the same type of deal that the Yankees did with MSG when YES was started up. I have no idea what duration remains on the carriage agreement between the Mets (team) and SNY (TV). There was no mention of the "Queens Ballpark" entity in the Q&A.

Comment

• Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
                                The next step is getting intelligent people to spent his money. Any idiot with a checkbook can sign the Coles and Strasburgs of the world, but the farm system, drafting scouting and little things matter. The word negotiations and, staying on 5 years make me queasy.I just pray this does not turn into a Daniel Snyder.
                                I mentioned yesterday that Joey Van Slick needs to dust off his resume and update it. Time to get rid of the dead weight.

I dont think we can have anything negative seeping in right now.........like Snyder. The worst thing that ever happened to the Mets were the Wilpons. Getting rid of them is nothing but positive until proven otherwise.

This is the best day in Mets history in about 30 years. Mets fans should feel like they were just acquitted of a criminal charge that they served 3 decades for doing, and now found innocent.

I heard yesterday that Cohen's effect will be felt immediately, maybe not in full, but it will be felt. That is a very good thing. 5 years seems to long, but if it only becomes a title thing - so be it.
                                Last edited by Paulypal; 12-05-2019, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X