Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Mets Ownership / Management Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Losing doesn’t force ownership change.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
      It works for me, most of the time.
      I am not attempting to fool myself.

      There was a quote in a really bad movie by the villain in the movie that has stuck with me. It went (in his foreign accent) "everybody wants heaven but nobody wants dead".

      Great quote because if there is a heaven everybody wants to go, but nobody wants to die to get there.

      Everybody wants the Mets to win consistently. Me included. Everybody wants the Mets organization to want to win. Me included. Now in my case I want those two items more than I want random wins in July of 2019. I enjoy some of the wins that have occurred, but overall no bueno.

      So I assess the situation because I can think on my own and not hypnotized by a jersey, and in my opinion the best way to get to the above is if the Wilscums are gone. .......so far so good.

      So again I assess -- well what it is the best way to get rid of them. A) Is it the getting 75-80 wins a season, making a playoff run every decade or so, and giving the fan base just enough to hang on to, toiling getting bottom of the barrel players? I say no that isnt the way. What my own assertion was - while not looking for approval of the masses -- B) was have the bottom fall out. Lose game after game for multiple seasons if necessary. Have attendance drop, have public opinion force these lower life forms to change their business model or sell the team.

      Maybe plan B doesnt sit well with some. Too bad for them. They make think it is impossible to feel that way and it is just smoke an mirrors. Again too bad for them because I cant understand perpetuating the same thing year after year after year. Getting the Wacha's of the world and hoping they win so we can do it all again next year. Definition of insanity?

      I want to get to "heaven" - in this story that is a winning team with an organization that cares about doing so, but to do so I was willing to be "dead" - in this story that is losing, and more losing of baseball games to rid of the biggest obstacle the fan base has.

      Again if someone cant understand that is on them.

      Although I didnt get the losses, and jersey praising didnt get the wins - we may still get what we want because Jeff is enough of a vile human being that his own family doesnt want to work with him. Lets hope so.

      By any means necessary.

      Any further conversation on the subject by other posters I will ask them to refer to POST 4067 in this thread. I have explained my position.
      Last edited by Paulypal; 12-17-2019, 09:49 AM.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

        I am not attempting to fool myself.

        There was a quote in a really bad movie by the villain in the movie that has stuck with me. It went (in his foreign accent) "everybody wants heaven but nobody wants dead".

        Great quote because if there is a heaven everybody wants to go, but nobody wants to die to get there.

        Everybody wants the Mets to win consistently. Me included. Everybody wants the Mets organization to want to win. Me included. Now in my case I want those two items more than I want random wins in July of 2019. I enjoy some of the wins that have occurred, but overall no bueno.

        So I assess the situation because I can think on my own and not hypnotized by a jersey, and in my opinion the best way to get to the above is if the Wilscums are gone. .......so far so good.

        So again I assess -- well what it is the best way to get rid of them. A) Is it the getting 75-80 wins a season, making a playoff run every decade or so, and giving the fan base just enough to hang on to, toiling getting bottom of the barrel players? I say no that isnt the way. What my own assertion was - while not looking for approval of the masses -- B) was have the bottom fall out. Lose game after game for multiple seasons if necessary. Have attendance drop, have public opinion force these lower life forms to change their business model or sell the team.

        Maybe plan B doesnt sit well with some. Too bad for them. They make think it is impossible to feel that way and it is just smoke an mirrors. Again too bad for them because I cant understand perpetuating the same thing year after year after year. Getting the Wacha's of the world and hoping they win so we can do it all again next year. Definition of insanity?

        I want to get to "heaven" - in this story that is a winning team with an organization that cares about doing so, but to do so I was willing to be "dead" - in this story that is losing, and more losing of baseball games to rid of the biggest obstacle the fan base has.

        Again if someone cant understand that is on them.

        Although I didnt get the losses, and jersey praising didnt get the wins - we may still get what we want because Jeff is enough of a vile human being that his own family doesnt want to work with him. Lets hope so.

        By any means necessary.

        Any further conversation on the subject by other posters I will ask them to refer to POST 4066 in this thread.
        Post 4066 plus public opinion doesn’t force ownership change.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

          Post 4066 plus public opinion doesn’t force ownership change.
          Again I will ask you read this section of post 4067

          Although I didnt get the losses, and jersey praising didnt get the wins - we may still get what we want because Jeff is enough of a vile human being that his own family doesnt want to work with him. Lets hope so.

          By any means necessary.


          Thank you
          Last edited by Paulypal; 12-17-2019, 09:49 AM.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

            Post 4066 plus public opinion doesn’t force ownership change.
            And the TV money the team receives from every Pay-tv subscribers in just the tri-state area alone (who have no skin in the game and just want to watch their stories) ensures that enough cash will flow in to keep the lights on.
            20-Game Saturday Plan, Prom Box 423.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

              Again I will ask you read this section of post 4066

              Although I didnt get the losses, and jersey praising didnt get the wins - we may still get what we want because Jeff is enough of a vile human being that his own family doesnt want to work with him. Lets hope so.

              By any means necessary.


              Thank you
              That is not post 4066, hence my confusion.
              Ownership will change when they are made an offer they can't refuse. Cohen, possibly, and sooner rather than later.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

                That is not post 4066, hence my confusion.
                Ownership will change when they are made an offer they can't refuse. Cohen, possibly, and sooner rather than later.
                Good call right there. That was the post I quoted.

                Actually it is 4067. I will amend previous directions.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

                  Well its been a long long time and I have had a couple of times over that decade plus where I was rooting for them to win. Very few. That doesn't mean I haven't enjoyed certain games and wins along the way. Overall - Ill take the losses over wins.

                  You can call it whatever you like -- holier than thou or whatever else you want. You can think its a defense mechanism so losses don't hurt. (BTW - do losses hurt you?)

                  I say this if you think those things - YOU HAVE NO CLUE. ZERO. I wanted them to lose for one reason - to force ownership change. Ownership change for me means a win for the Mets.

                  Your favorite band record label analogy makes ZERO SENSE and once again shows you don't have a clue about what I am talking about. If you cant grasp it that is fine, but stop beating the dead horse, and making what I feel something that you can understand. Clearly you cant.

                  The record label or manager doesn't dictate the talent they want in the band. Do they? When Aerosmith showed up at their record labels door did they say well we cant afford Steven Tyler so we will replace him with Joe Smith. Did they? No they wanted the best band possible to sell records-- so try something else.

                  I am not undermining anything - you insisted that I am being a fraud in my rooting against the team. It is you my friend undermining what I think and what I want. You say you hate the Wilpons but must root because it says Mets on the shirt. Ok terrific. I cant understand that as one is destroying your enjoyment of the other, so be it - that is your way - not mine.

                  You are the one that had a baby because my fandom is different than yours. You used terms to describe me as holier than thou, and how I use my fandom as a defense mechanism without having the first clue about me.

                  So yeah I am of sick of it too.

                  You root the way you want and I will do the same. When we get an organization that has winning as a priority I will root for them to win until then not so much.
                  You don't see the irony in boldly proclaiming your elitist "upper echelon" observational superiority immediately after someone accuses you of arrogance? I do.

                  Just because something makes ZERO SENSE to you doesn't mean it makes ZERO SENSE to everyone. I said it, so it must make SOME SENSE, no? Unless you think of me as SENSELESS.

                  This is precisely what I mean. Putting someone down and building yourself up can be the same thing (and often are). Not undermining anything, huh? Insisting you're a fraud, huh? Had a baby? What thread are you reading? You refer to the fanbase, of which I am a part, as hypnotized, blind, worshipful, gullible, clueless, and unable to think to think for themselves, with little to no ability to comprehend the intricate complexities of Paulypal v. Wilpon. After all, according to you, if everyone were as astute as you, Metland would be a better place to be.

                  If you don't see how condescending and demeaning you've been, then YOU HAVE NO CLUE. ZERO.

                  And talk about putting the horse before the drum. You beat this rhythm to death. People can't even buy a seat and a beer without feeling your wrath in some capacity. What Met fan can come here without reading your same dogmatic rhetoric over and over and over again? What does it tell you when you feel compelled to repeatedly stick your "unique" point of view in everyone's orange juice? Do you think you're the only one here with a brain? No one here doesn't know where you stand, Paul. You're a winner when they lose, and a winner when they win. Good for you.

                  Life's too short for me to boycott a baseball team with the remote hope that the org changes hands. It's only by the grace of God that our wish is hopefully about to come true. Don't make it out like you had anything at all to do with affecting the change.

                  One difference between us is you think we're entitled to a winning team. We're not. It'd be great to have one, but it's not a birthright.

                  And no, Met losses don't hurt me. I have no control over the outcomes of the games, nor do they affect my life's results. I also have no control of what the organization does. Neither do you.
                  Put it in the books.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by milladrive View Post

                    You don't see the irony in boldly proclaiming your elitist "upper echelon" observational superiority immediately after someone accuses you of arrogance? I do.

                    Just because something makes ZERO SENSE to you doesn't mean it makes ZERO SENSE to everyone. I said it, so it must make SOME SENSE, no? Unless you think of me as SENSELESS.

                    This is precisely what I mean. Putting someone down and building yourself up can be the same thing (and often are). Not undermining anything, huh? Insisting you're a fraud, huh? Had a baby? What thread are you reading? You refer to the fanbase, of which I am a part, as hypnotized, blind, worshipful, gullible, clueless, and unable to think to think for themselves, with little to no ability to comprehend the intricate complexities of Paulypal v. Wilpon. After all, according to you, if everyone were as astute as you, Metland would be a better place to be.

                    If you don't see how condescending and demeaning you've been, then YOU HAVE NO CLUE. ZERO.

                    And talk about putting the horse before the drum. You beat this rhythm to death. People can't even buy a seat and a beer without feeling your wrath in some capacity. What Met fan can come here without reading your same dogmatic rhetoric over and over and over again? What does it tell you when you feel compelled to repeatedly stick your "unique" point of view in everyone's orange juice? Do you think you're the only one here with a brain? No one here doesn't know where you stand, Paul. You're a winner when they lose, and a winner when they win. Good for you.

                    Life's too short for me to boycott a baseball team with the remote hope that the org changes hands. It's only by the grace of God that our wish is hopefully about to come true. Don't make it out like you had anything at all to do with affecting the change.

                    One difference between us is you think we're entitled to a winning team. We're not. It'd be great to have one, but it's not a birthright.

                    And no, Met losses don't hurt me. I have no control over the outcomes of the games, nor do they affect my life's results. I also have no control of what the organization does. Neither do you.
                    I am not entitled to anything, but what I want is not a stretch.

                    Condescending? I hope you are looking the mirror dude. For months you are trying to tell me "how I really feel about the team".,and recently I am "holier than thou". CLUELESS is for telling me how you think I feel and what you think you know, but dont. So cmon talk to me about condescending. .....actually dont. I am done on the subject. Hopefully you are too.

                    If you dont like the way I root or dont root...dont respond. Very simple.

                    I will root for losses until I the Wilscums are gone.

                    I am glad that my fandom or lack of has fascinated some to the point that they must argue that I cant really feel a way they cant understand or dont agree with.

                    We have a lot of off season moves by the Wilpons to discuss - why waste our time on such trivial matters as my fandom. LMAO
                    Last edited by Paulypal; 12-17-2019, 01:10 PM.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

                      I am not entitled to anything, but what I want is not a stretch.

                      Condescending? I hope you are looking the mirror dude. For months you are trying to tell me "how I really feel about the team".,and recently I am "holier than thou". CLUELESS is for telling me how you think I feel and what you think you know, but dont. So cmon talk to me about condescending. .....actually dont. I am done on the subject. Hopefully you are too.

                      If you dont like the way I root or dont root...dont respond. Very simple.

                      I will root for losses until I the Wilscums are gone.

                      I am glad that my fandom or lack of has fascinated some to the point that they must argue that I cant really feel a way they cant understand or dont agree with.

                      We have a lot of off season moves by the Wilpons to discuss - why waste our time on such trivial matters as my fandom. LMAO
                      For months? I misspoke one day, and had the common decency to admit I was wrong within an earth's rotation. Gimme a break.

                      I'll respond when I see fit, thanx. Very simple.
                      Put it in the books.

                      Comment


                      • What kind of guy is this Cohen dude? Do you think it would be getting better? Or is he more looking for a good investment?
                        I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by dominik View Post
                          What kind of guy is this Cohen dude? Do you think it would be getting better? Or is he more looking for a good investment?
                          From what is out there:

                          He is a big Met fan
                          He is very much into analytics in his business so it is expected that he expand on what the Mets have done analytically
                          Most importantly it is said that he is coming here to win
                          Depending on where you get info - once the ink is dry he will be the richest owner in MLB

                          So far we have to like what we hear/read. To be honest anything would feel like an upgrade over the two that own the team now.

                          We will see when the rubber hits the road - until then its all talk.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by dominik View Post
                            What kind of guy is this Cohen dude? Do you think it would be getting better? Or is he more looking for a good investment?
                            Consensus is Steve is not Fred.

                            When the punch bowl has a turd in it, your first priority is to get it out.

                            A New York team with its own TV network is a money printing press. I know of no other owner that's ransacked a big market team like Fred. Anybody that reinvests revenue in the team, at a league average rate, would be better than Fred.


                            "The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

                            Comment


                            • So the sale of the Mets to Steve Cohen is off?

                              Considering Fred's abusive dealings with Nelson Doubleday and David Einhorn, I never expected the process to be smooth or necessarily successful. To borrow a phrase, Fred is a habitual line stepper.

                              Fred seemed to want the sale of the team to work like a reverse mortgage. I've never heard of a 5 year transition period. It's got to be a short list of entities that would buy the team detached from SNY (its main revenue engine), much less wait 5 years for Jeff to mangle the roster some more.

                              But even Fred doesn't expect to live forever. It was reported estate considerations were driving the sale. Mr. B might be able to enlighten us further. What happens if Fred doesn't sell the team, in terms of inheritance taxes, etc.? How necessary is the sale?

                              I'm guessing the market for the Mets is small without SNY attached. To an extent, this is a vanity purchase - at least until the current deal with SNY is over. Can Fred drain enough for inheritance taxes from SNY and other operations before his death?

                              These questions dictate whether the sale eventually happens.
                              Last edited by Mongoose; 02-05-2020, 11:37 AM.


                              "The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

                              Comment


                              • As if we needed another reason to hate the Wilpons...
                                They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X