This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by brooklynboy View Post

Okay you have a owner in his 80's who has said he's actively trying to sell the team..With his record, can we, as fans, actually believe him.
    Katz and Wilpon are both in their 80’s though. With the next generation with no interest except for one.

With everything happening today they may already regret their inaction on the Cohen deal. Disposable income in the form of fan spending? Among the first things to go if unemployment soars and the economy goes south.

Comment

• Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

Katz and Wilpon are both in their 80’s though. With the next generation with no interest except for one.

With everything happening today they may already regret their inaction on the Cohen deal. Disposable income in the form of fan spending? Among the first things to go if unemployment soars and the economy goes south.
      I agree - they must be seriously regretting their greed....yes even the Wilpons can regret greed. They had someone willing to buy, but because Jeff was throwing a tantrum the deal was lost.

Fred must be kicking himself right now.

Jeff is still clutching his toy.

As you said sports is disposable income -- for the short term that may be in short supply.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

I agree - they must be seriously regretting their greed....yes even the Wilpons can regret greed. They had someone willing to buy, but because Jeff was throwing a tantrum the deal was lost.

Fred must be kicking himself right now.

Jeff is still clutching his toy.

As you said sports is disposable income -- for the short term that may be in short supply.
        I, along with many a Mets fan, seriously doubt if Popa Fred regrets his greed. Any team that's for sale in the NY area will be sold...eventually..The only thing Fred regrets is not having a son who can do something on his own without Dad's help or money.

The Mets will be sold for a hefty price.
        North of the Big Apple but missing Central Fla :atthepc

Comment

I, along with many a Mets fan, seriously doubt if Popa Fred regrets his greed. Any team that's for sale in the NY area will be sold...eventually..The only thing Fred regrets is not having a son who can do something on his own without Dad's help or money.

The Mets will be sold for a hefty price.
          True they will be sold but they did have $2.6B in their grasp by someone that had it without having to put a group together. That could have been a fairly simple transaction. They will sell if they want it sold, but a bird in the hand............

Comment

I, along with many a Mets fan, seriously doubt if Popa Fred regrets his greed.
            Give him some credit. He worked very hard to reach this level of incompetence.
            The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue387 View Post

Give him some credit. He worked very hard to reach this level of incompetence.
              Blue, I stand corrected

Comment

• I don't subscribe to The Athletic or I'd post the original article. Perhaps someone else does and can.

Anyway...https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2020/03/27...ct-on-economy/

Wilpons still trying to sell Mets despite coronavirus impact on economy

Nick Stellini (NBC Sports)
                2 hours ago

The Athletic’s Daniel Kaplan reports that Fred and Jeff Wilpon are still interested in trying to find buyers for the Mets.

Kaplan says that Allen & Co., a firm retained by the Wilpons in an advisory role, has been making calls to get a picture of the potential market. That’s surprising given the recent bodyblows taken by the stock market, brought on by daily life grinding to a near halt to try to combat the spread of coronavirus. The uber-wealthy potential buyers have all lost money in the past weeks, which would surely drive down the scope of the offers the Wilpons might receive.

The Mets were nearly sold in February to Steve Cohen for $2.6 billion before the deal fell apart over disagreements about how long the Wilpons would retain decision-making powers over the franchise. Under the original terms of the deal, Jeff Wilpon would remain the franchise’s control person for five years before power shifted to Cohen. The two sides came to an impasse over the arrangement.

The Wilpons and Cohen engaged in some mud-slinging in the press and it’s unclear whether the relationship between the two camps degraded to the point that Cohen would be interested in trying to re-start the transaction at a lower price. The Mets would reportedly immediately shift control to any new owner after the way the Cohen negotiations failed.

The economic downturn could also mean that the team could sell for a lower price than Cohen’s $2.6 billion. Yet baseball (and all professional sports) are in an unprecedented limbo right now, and the uncertainty over if and when play will resume this year could make the purchase of a team an unattractive proposition. MLB and the MLBPA reached a deal today that could ease some of that anxiety, but the obstacle of the pandemic itself remains.

While report notes that the Wilpons claim that they don’t need to sell the team, having Allen & Co. continue to solicit buyers is an awfully curious move that hints at something akin to desperation. Of course, given that this is Fred and Jeff Wilpon we’re talking about here, it could also just be good old-fashioned Metsy dumbness. Trying to sell the team now feels like trying to sell swimsuits on Amity Island after the shark attacks.

It would be surprising if the Mets are in fact sold before the end of the pandemic, and even before the economy begins to recover in the ensuing re-emergence of normal life for that matter. But hey, it’s the Mets. Ridiculous things happen with this team.

EK7Gnf6WoAELkYj.png
                Put it in the books.

Comment

• Originally posted by milladrive View Post
                  I don't subscribe to The Athletic or I'd post the original article. Perhaps someone else does and can.

Anyway...https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2020/03/27...ct-on-economy/

Wilpons still trying to sell Mets despite coronavirus impact on economy

Nick Stellini (NBC Sports)
                  2 hours ago

The Athletic’s Daniel Kaplan reports that Fred and Jeff Wilpon are still interested in trying to find buyers for the Mets.

Kaplan says that Allen & Co., a firm retained by the Wilpons in an advisory role, has been making calls to get a picture of the potential market. That’s surprising given the recent bodyblows taken by the stock market, brought on by daily life grinding to a near halt to try to combat the spread of coronavirus. The uber-wealthy potential buyers have all lost money in the past weeks, which would surely drive down the scope of the offers the Wilpons might receive.

The Mets were nearly sold in February to Steve Cohen for $2.6 billion before the deal fell apart over disagreements about how long the Wilpons would retain decision-making powers over the franchise. Under the original terms of the deal, Jeff Wilpon would remain the franchise’s control person for five years before power shifted to Cohen. The two sides came to an impasse over the arrangement.

The Wilpons and Cohen engaged in some mud-slinging in the press and it’s unclear whether the relationship between the two camps degraded to the point that Cohen would be interested in trying to re-start the transaction at a lower price. The Mets would reportedly immediately shift control to any new owner after the way the Cohen negotiations failed.

The economic downturn could also mean that the team could sell for a lower price than Cohen’s $2.6 billion. Yet baseball (and all professional sports) are in an unprecedented limbo right now, and the uncertainty over if and when play will resume this year could make the purchase of a team an unattractive proposition. MLB and the MLBPA reached a deal today that could ease some of that anxiety, but the obstacle of the pandemic itself remains.

While report notes that the Wilpons claim that they don’t need to sell the team, having Allen & Co. continue to solicit buyers is an awfully curious move that hints at something akin to desperation. Of course, given that this is Fred and Jeff Wilpon we’re talking about here, it could also just be good old-fashioned Metsy dumbness. Trying to sell the team now feels like trying to sell swimsuits on Amity Island after the shark attacks.

It would be surprising if the Mets are in fact sold before the end of the pandemic, and even before the economy begins to recover in the ensuing re-emergence of normal life for that matter. But hey, it’s the Mets. Ridiculous things happen with this team.

EK7Gnf6WoAELkYj.png
                  Thanks for this article. They had an opportunity to sell high when the economy was rosy, stock market booming and there was such a thing as a baseball season.

Now? Uncertainty.

Add in not one, but two 80+ year old owners.

I’ve had a feeling all along that sooner, rather than later is the time. Hope 2020 it is.

Comment

Thanks for this article. They had an opportunity to sell high when the economy was rosy, stock market booming and there was such a thing as a baseball season.

Now? Uncertainty.

Add in not one, but two 80+ year old owners.

I’ve had a feeling all along that sooner, rather than later is the time. Hope 2020 it is.
                    I'd said before that in the immediate term, Fred and Jeff had cost their family a lot of money, but I don't see them selling for less than they feel the club's worth.

This might take a few years.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

I'd said before that in the immediate term, Fred and Jeff had cost their family a lot of money, but I don't see them selling for less than they feel the club's worth.

This might take a few years.
                      It might. But the team is for sale today, not in a few years. It’d be a different story if we were Hoping they’d put the team up for sale and they were insisting it’s not.

A feeling about what something is worth works when you’re 30 or 40 or even 50. And you have the resources to refund tickets, advertising, deposits on concerts, other events besides baseball. Not sell concessions or food and beer. Pay your management, staff, bills, SNY employees. I’m not sure SNY can get any measurable ratings for ads to be bought.

Comment

It might. But the team is for sale today, not in a few years. It’d be a different story if we were Hoping they’d put the team up for sale and they were insisting it’s not.

A feeling about what something is worth works when you’re 30 or 40 or even 50. And you have the resources to refund tickets, advertising, deposits on concerts, other events besides baseball. Not sell concessions or food and beer. Pay your management, staff, bills, SNY employees. I’m not sure SNY can get any measurable ratings for ads to be bought.

SNY doesn't have to get good ratings. It's part of people's cable package, whether they like it or not. Fred, Saul and their partners get paid per subscriber, games or no games. I believe advertising is a fractional sum by comparison.

Fred's better off than almost everybody, at the moment. He's getting money for nothing (unless you consider current Mets programming something).

And he's always shown a compulsion to grab every last cent. If you think he's going to take a $1,000,000,000 haircut because, for once in his life he pushed a little too hard, you're mistaken.

That's what I think, anyway.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

SNY doesn't have to get good ratings. It's part of people's cable package, whether they like it or not. Fred, Saul and their partners get paid per subscriber, games or no games. I believe advertising is a fractional sum by comparison.

Fred's better off than almost everybody, at the moment. He's getting money for nothing (unless you consider current Mets programming something).

And he's always shown a compulsion to grab every last cent. If you think he's going to take a $1,000,000,000 haircut because, for once in his life he pushed a little too hard, you're mistaken.

1-cable packages would be among the very first thing some people would cut if they had to. Getting paid per subscriber means they have to have subscribers. Who subscribes to stations without any content? If every $ counts. I’d consider changing my cable package if no Mlb in 2020. I’d come back in 2021.

2- Why is it a billion dollar haircut? I think Cohen offered 2.6 billion for 80% of the team? It was turned down. The offer is now zero. The next offer is the actual offer. The past offer is meaningless.

3- maybe that means the team isn’t for sale anymore and they’ll keep it. Yippee

Comment

• Jeff Wilpon should be quarantined from Citi Field and stay at least six feet from it at all times.
                            The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

He will not take a $1B haircut. They will sell the team when the dust settles from the current condition the world is in right now. He will sell at the going rate for the team...what ever that is. Until then they own the team, and with no games for half a season (hopefully) that is one half a season less that we watch a baseball team owned by these two scumbags. That is not enough of a silver lining.

The next time they will really have to sell the team.,,,,,unlike the Cohen deal.

The first time was not a sale......really. It was putting the team on an upfront lay-a-way plan. You pay in full now and pick up your item in 5 years because the spoiled brat will have a tantrum.

The next time Jeff will have to be put in time out and let go of the toy he helped destroy.

My gut tells me that cable is going to start coming back to earth. The younger folks don't have cable. They stream everything without the cable bill. (Except the internet connection) Cable companies know this and they will have to make cable more sensible in the next decade to survive. That is my opinion....not sure but it makes sense to me anyway.

Also right now a lot of the companies are working with people knowing the current climate. Mortgage companies, utilities and the like have reached out to let their customer base know that they are willing to work with you during this crisis. I am not sure if cable is putting it out there like that but they may be willing to work with you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

He will not take a $1B haircut. They will sell the team when the dust settles from the current condition the world is in right now. He will sell at the going rate for the team...what ever that is. Until then they own the team, and with no games for half a season (hopefully) that is one half a season less that we watch a baseball team owned by these two scumbags. That is not enough of a silver lining.

The next time they will really have to sell the team.,,,,,unlike the Cohen deal.

The first time was not a sale......really. It was putting the team on an upfront lay-a-way plan. You pay in full now and pick up your item in 5 years because the spoiled brat will have a tantrum.

The next time Jeff will have to be put in time out and let go of the toy he helped destroy.

My gut tells me that cable is going to start coming back to earth. The younger folks don't have cable. They stream everything without the cable bill. (Except the internet connection) Cable companies know this and they will have to make cable more sensible in the next decade to survive. That is my opinion....not sure but it makes sense to me anyway.

Also right now a lot of the companies are working with people knowing the current climate. Mortgage companies, utilities and the like have reached out to let their customer base know that they are willing to work with you during this crisis. I am not sure if cable is putting it out there like that but they may be willing to work with you.
                                Pauly, Spectrum or Charter depending on where you are, has made some pay channels available for free down here. Just paid the cable bill but I didn't see anything about missed payments. PR will probably take over and the cable co will acquiese. In the meantime, I can watch all past Rays/Marlin games I want

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X