Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Mets Ownership / Management Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

    I would guess the problem was they'd used stolen monies that didn't actually exist to leverage real estate deals, and without showing creditors cash, the house of cards would have collapsed. I also think pleading poverty, in conjunction with pressure from political allies, helped Fred weasel out of the Madoff scandal with a favorable deal. Of course, he should have been made to sell the team.

    They maintained the charade for over a decade because lying about revenue helped them maintain austerity budgets, without being run out of town on a rail. There are plenty of stupid Mets fans. They'd curse the Wilpons because they're "broke", but seemed to have cognitive dissonance when it came to the obvious fact Fred was ransacking the team.

    The reason they didn't repay the debts on the team/SNY was probably that their interest rates were good, and felt they could do better with the cash in hand. Beside, keeping the debts active helped sell the notion they were "broke", and couldn't spend money on the team. "The loans are coming due!" Basically it was all a con.

    Pity we won't have a moment of silence at the stadium when Fred passes on, now that they've sold. It would have been nice to show up just to boo.
    Anyone that believed they were "broke" needed their head examined.

    Fred and his cronies were cunning enough to turn the Madoff lottery that they lived into an even bigger windfall when it hit the fan. Hell MLB even lent them money for their front right pocket when the other 3 pockets were overflowing with cash or at least assets enough to turn into cash.

    Meanwhile the Mets basically sucked for the following decade despite the Miracle of 15. Miracle? Anyone remember Mayberry Jr. and Campbell hitting 3rd and 4th against Kershaw and Greinke? I do. That is another story.

    Point is Wilpon was never broke and could have always provided a competitive team with real baseball names -------- he opted not to and there was no excuse. The Madoff disaster was a great excuse for the POS to have a soft landing.

    Mongoose -- Booing through a moment of silence? That would be entertaining.
    Last edited by Paulypal; 07-12-2020, 05:43 AM.

    Comment


    • Brodie Van Wagenen insists he is not involved in discussions about Mets sale

      https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...aim-story.html

      Yeah of course not because the only thing Slick needs to worry about is the door hitting him in the ass on the way out.

      Comment


      • 4 parties have advanced to second round. JLo/ARod, Cohen, Harris and 1 unidentified party.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
          4 parties have advanced to second round. JLo/ARod, Cohen, Harris and 1 unidentified party.
          Maybe the unidentified group is Donald Trump.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

            Maybe the unidentified group is Donald Trump.
            He's busy.
            The NY Post sports section today-a hiccup on the Cohen bidding might be to complicate the upcoming collective bargaining agreement. The other owners want to know that he'd play fair on salaries. Seriously. The sport with no salary cap. THAT sports owners want to make sure the Mets play fair on salaries.

            Comment


            • So it begins...

              Implosion time.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

                He's busy.
                The NY Post sports section today-a hiccup on the Cohen bidding might be to complicate the upcoming collective bargaining agreement. The other owners want to know that he'd play fair on salaries. Seriously. The sport with no salary cap. THAT sports owners want to make sure the Mets play fair on salaries.
                I realize the other owners are worried about their bottom line, but - if the story's true - as usual, they're doing it in a short sighted, counterproductive way. I don't think they realize how much another great team in New York would increase interest in baseball, and, by extension, revenue. New York is the media capital of the world. If writers with large audiences are engaged by the local teams, it gives the sport far more reach. The dumbest thing MLB ever did was let O'Malley strip the Dodgers and Giants from New York.

                You can argue Ruth and Gehrig might have been legends anywhere, but Leo Durocher? Babe Herman? Joe DiMaggio and Yogi Berra were two of the most famous men in America. Nowadays, how many people know who Mike Trout is? If anything, they should be begging SAC to build a powerhouse here. Mets and Yankees dominating New York is maybe the only thing that can reverse baseball's loss of the public spotlight, that began when the Dodgers and Giants were stolen.


                "The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
                  I realize the other owners are worried about their bottom line, but - if the story's true - as usual, they're doing it in a short sighted, counterproductive way. I don't think they realize how much another great team in New York would increase interest in baseball, and, by extension, revenue. New York is the media capital of the world. If writers with large audiences are engaged by the local teams, it gives the sport far more reach. The dumbest thing MLB ever did was let O'Malley strip the Dodgers and Giants from New York.
                  Jimmy Breslin wrote about baseball in NY in the 50's, and MLB had expansion plans all right, but not like you think.

                  The "Good Old Boys Club" wanted to expand to new markets without letting anyone else into the club, and that was accomplished by allowing multi-team cities to become one-team cities. MLB could expand from 10 to 16 markets simply by moving teams out of Boston, Philly, New York, St. Louis, and Chicago.

                  Chicago was the only city to keep its two teams...

                  It was all about not having to fight a co-owner for fans and dollars in a city.
                  20-Game Saturday Plan, Prom Box 423.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by dstoffa View Post

                    Jimmy Breslin wrote about baseball in NY in the 50's, and MLB had expansion plans all right, but not like you think.

                    The "Good Old Boys Club" wanted to expand to new markets without letting anyone else into the club, and that was accomplished by allowing multi-team cities to become one-team cities. MLB could expand from 10 to 16 markets simply by moving teams out of Boston, Philly, New York, St. Louis, and Chicago.

                    Chicago was the only city to keep its two teams...

                    It was all about not having to fight a co-owner for fans and dollars in a city.
                    Doug, you are 100% correct here. MLB's owners have a long legacy of being very short sighted in grabbing the quick buck.

                    In most two teams cities, certainly New York in 1957, teams' fan bases didn't even overlap.


                    "The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

                    Comment


                    • Bob Nightengale- Jennifer Lopez and ARod group reportedly clear favorites to buy the team.

                      Comment


                      • ‘Jeff Wilpon hates Steve Cohen’: Simmering feud won’t stop billionaire’s Mets pursuit
                        https://outline.com/PZVRYB

                        “Jeff Wilpon hates Steve Cohen,” one person close to the sale told The Post. “He wants A-Rod to come away with the team or make Cohen pay double the nearest offer. This has been a squeeze job for weeks now.”

                        Sources also tell The Post that the bidding is now basically down to Cohen and J-Rod. All remaining potential buyers got an up-close look at the Mets financial picture, which one source described as “gory.”
                        The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                          ‘Jeff Wilpon hates Steve Cohen’: Simmering feud won’t stop billionaire’s Mets pursuit
                          https://outline.com/PZVRYB
                          Interesting that Wilpon will retain 5 % no matter what.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                            ‘Jeff Wilpon hates Steve Cohen’: Simmering feud won’t stop billionaire’s Mets pursuit
                            https://outline.com/PZVRYB
                            8 1/2 months of this garbage with these morons. This story broke in December 4th 2019.

                            Another two weeks and they could have had a baby.


                            Jeff is holding on with a death grip finding any reason not to sell. He hates Cohen? Jeff hates everybody, and I am sure its returned.

                            This is getting boring.
                            Last edited by Paulypal; 08-17-2020, 05:01 PM.

                            Comment


                            • Steve Cohen is the favorite to purchase the Mets, "insiders and sports financiers" told Daniel Kaplan of The Athletic.

                              According to those insiders, Cohen -- who has by far the deepest pockets of the interested parties -- has always been the favorite.

                              Kaplan notes in his wide-ranging story that there are concerns within MLB about the ability of the Alex Rodriguez/Jennifer Lopez group to finance the team if they wind up with it. And one source close to Rodriguez told Kaplan that “If Cohen wants it, this is his.”
                              With second-round bids due by Aug. 31, a resolution on who wins the bidding could be nearing. At that point, it will be up to the other 29 owners to grant approval to the prospective new ownership group.

                              https://sny.tv/articles/latest-on-mets-sale-process
                              Last edited by Blue387; 08-19-2020, 09:21 AM.
                              The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

                              Comment


                              • I'm still rooting for Cohen. I just believe, deep down, that he'll do the most toward making the Mets a perennial contender. Don't get me wrong, getting JefFred out of the front office is the ultimate goal, so a sale to anyone is desired. But I hope Cohen is anyone.
                                Put it in the books.

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X