This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dominik View Post
    Is the new gm they are going to sign going to have decision power or is alderson the real gm?
    The impression I got was that Aldreson was brought in as a 2 year transitional guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by dstoffa View Post

Didn't Frank Cashen put himself on a similar timeline back in 1980?
      I dont recall if Cashen did that or not. I am not sure it is relevant if Cashen did or didnt.

For argument sake lets say he did say that in 1980 and failed to reach that goal as they won in 6 years not 3-5. Was Cashen held to the fire for not hitting that goal? No he was not.

The problem with making that statement in 2020 as compared to 1980 is that it is a much tougher climb in 2020. There will be at least one extra round and maybe two extra rounds of playoffs now as compared to 1980. It will be much easier to get picked off than it was in 1980. Then add in the fact that the media will remind him of his failure (if that timeline is not met) on a daily basis. Make no doubt if that goal is not hit the media will remind him and it will be considered a failure.

I rather him just say they intend to be a WS contender every season. Anything after that there are way too many variables to make a prediction. Ask the Dodgers who have had the best team in baseball over the last 8 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

I dont recall if Cashen did that or not. I am not sure it is relevant if Cashen did or didnt.

For argument sake lets say he did say that in 1980 and failed to reach that goal as they won in 6 years not 3-5. Was Cashen held to the fire for not hitting that goal? No he was not.

The problem with making that statement in 2020 as compared to 1980 is that it is a much tougher climb in 2020. There will be at least one extra round and maybe two extra rounds of playoffs now as compared to 1980. It will be much easier to get picked off than it was in 1980. Then add in the fact that the media will remind him of his failure (if that timeline is not met) on a daily basis. Make no doubt if that goal is not hit the media will remind him and it will be considered a failure.

I rather him just say they intend to be a WS contender every season. Anything after that there are way too many variables to make a prediction. Ask the Dodgers who have had the best team in baseball over the last 8 years.
        On the other side of that, even with Cohen's proclamation, if the Mets are in serious contention every year, but fall short of winning the World Series, while fans might be frustrated, no one in their right mind will be calling for Cohen to sell the team or for the front office to be sent packing.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

On the other side of that, even with Cohen's proclamation, if the Mets are in serious contention every year, but fall short of winning the World Series, while fans might be frustrated, no one in their right mind will be calling for Cohen to sell the team or for the front office to be sent packing.
          And that,jjpm74, is a very excellent point!!!
          North of the Big Apple but missing Central Fla :atthepc

Comment

• Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

The key thing is to be competitive in the standings to the point where you feel your team can win consistently - not the Haley's Comet sightings we were forced to wait for.

If the organization is giving an effort to win - a real one - the fan base will not have much to complain about.

I said a month or so ago the traffic on this thread will be very little in comparison to the 300 pages of Wilpon bashing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

The key thing is to be competitive in the standings to the point where you feel your team can win consistently - not the Haley's Comet sightings we were forced to wait for.

If the organization is giving an effort to win - a real one - the fan base will not have much to complain about.

I said a month or so ago the traffic on this thread will be very little in comparison to the 300 pages of Wilpon bashing.
              Look at the Dodgers/Yankee organizations. They build to compete. The fans know this and the support is there even during a down season. I'm hoping this new organization will instill that winning tradition in this club.

Comment

• Did you guys see Cohen is propping up his old hedge fund protege in the redit verse wall street wars over Gamestop? Sunk at least 1.25 billion to help the dude out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mets 67 View Post
                  Did you guys see Cohen is propping up his old hedge fund protege in the redit verse wall street wars over Gamestop? Sunk at least 1.25 billion to help the dude out.
                  I know nothing about that arena. I can only say a couple general things. First is, on the very few occasions I've known about deals that made the business news, what was actually happening bore little resemblance to what was being reported. I know nothing about this Reddit driven pumping of GameStop value, but it appears to be a massive stock manipulation maneuver. Such things are seldom organic. But I'm not really up on it.

The second is, although I don't know for sure, I'd assume whatever money SAC is putting into Melvin Capital comes from his hedge fund, not his personal fortune. I don't think he bought the team through Point72. So, he should be fine, and the Mets should be unaffected. I've known men who had hedge funds that didn't really make money for their investors, but who profited handsomely. My knowledge isn't comprehensive, but no matter what happens the hedge fund manager tends to emerge unscathed - not that SAC ever seems to lose, when the dust clears.

I had read that Melvin Capital's short has already been covered, but I wouldn't know. All I can say is, GameStop is trading for 16 times what it was 2 weeks ago. I don't know the underlying numbers, but I wouldn't be surprised if whoever is orchestrating this campaign to pump up the stock's value is selling and shorting as I type this. The whole thing sounds bizarre.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

I know nothing about that arena. I can only say a couple general things. First is, on the very few occasions I've known about deals that made the business news, what was actually happening bore little resemblance to what was being reported. I know nothing about this Reddit driven pumping of GameStop value, but it appears to be a massive stock manipulation maneuver. Such things are seldom organic. But I'm not really up on it.

The second is, although I don't know for sure, I'd assume whatever money SAC is putting into Melvin Capital comes from his hedge fund, not his personal fortune. I don't think he bought the team through Point72. So, he should be fine, and the Mets should be unaffected. I've known men who had hedge funds that didn't really make money for their investors, but who profited handsomely. My knowledge isn't comprehensive, but no matter what happens the hedge fund manager tends to emerge unscathed - not that SAC ever seems to lose, when the dust clears.

I had read that Melvin Capital's short has already been covered, but I wouldn't know. All I can say is, GameStop is trading for 16 times what it was 2 weeks ago. I don't know the underlying numbers, but I wouldn't be surprised if whoever is orchestrating this campaign to pump up the stock's value is selling and shorting as I type this. The whole thing sounds bizarre.
                    Selling short is a legal form of gambling...It wouldn't surprise me if Stevie gets caught up in this. However, I would think that he laid all his financial data on the table for MLB to see. So can we trust MLB with their intense desire to wave a fond farewell to Cape Jeff?

Stevie didn't get this rich by not taking chances. I would suspect he hedged his bets on the safe side.

Comment

• Originally posted by brooklynboy View Post

Selling short is a legal form of gambling...It wouldn't surprise me if Stevie gets caught up in this. However, I would think that he laid all his financial data on the table for MLB to see. So can we trust MLB with their intense desire to wave a fond farewell to Cape Jeff?

Stevie didn't get this rich by not taking chances. I would suspect he hedged his bets on the safe side.
                      The whole philosophy of hedge funds is centered on the idea of hedging your bets.

Comment

• I don't know if I'm happier that Lindor is here, or that Matz is gone.
                        They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• Steve Cohen Saves Mets $50 Million in Debt Refinancing
                          https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-bond-analysts

Citi Field’s revenue plunged to $28.2 million for the nine months ending Sept. 2020 from $148.7 million, according to a bond offering document. The stadium collects revenue from advertising, naming rights, and luxury suite premiums in addition to tickets, concessions and parking. The revenue is used to make payments in lieu of taxes, which back the bonds.
                          The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• I came across something almost startling earlier today:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/a...r-16058046.php

Jed Lowrie is slated to be the A's starting second baseman this season.

I don't recall there ever being any announcement explaining what Lowrie's injury actually was, but apparently he had something called PCL Laxity, according to reports I missed last July. It was corrected by surgery this past off-season.

I guess the questions are:

Did Jeff refuse to let Lowrie get the surgery because he didn't want Lowrie to miss playing time? (Think about that one for a second.)

Or did he realize Lowrie was a stupid signing, and the two lost years was a ploy to cash in on insurance money by removing an overpaid, extraneous player from the roster?

Or was it all some other incomprehensible mistake?

Either way, Jed Lowrie's career as a Met sums up the Wilpon era as well as anything.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
                              I came across something almost startling earlier today:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/a...r-16058046.php

Jed Lowrie is slated to be the A's starting second baseman this season.

I don't recall there ever being any announcement explaining what Lowrie's injury actually was, but apparently he had something called PCL Laxity, according to reports I missed last July. It was corrected by surgery this past off-season.

I guess the questions are:

Did Jeff refuse to let Lowrie get the surgery because he didn't want Lowrie to miss playing time? (Think about that one for a second.)

Or did he realize Lowrie was a stupid signing, and the two lost years was a ploy to cash in on insurance money by removing an overpaid, extraneous player from the roster?

Or was it all some other incomprehensible mistake?

Either way, Jed Lowrie's career as a Met sums up the Wilpon era as well as anything.
                              Amazing how he magically got healthy.

Personally, I think his initial raspberry was turned into an insurance scheme where both he and Wilpon made more money than by his playing. Maybe I'm just too jaded by all things Wilpon, but...

Amazing how he magically got healthy.
                              Put it in the books.

Comment

• I hope Lowrie does well but appearing in 12 spring training games with the team that he had his best years with does not mean he’ll make it thru a season. I’m just glad he’s no longer on the Mets payroll. He’s making league minimum. That’s how confident the A’s are in his ability.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X