Our Mets Hall of Fame, election 26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
    With all due respect, if anyone wants to see a stingy, empty Mets Hall of Fame, we can try to find Fred Wilpon's official team Hall of Fame. I personally think there's a correlation between its emptiness and the fact that Wilpon doesn't even care enough about it or the franchise's history to provide it with an actual location.

...I think the object here is a bit different. Besides Tom Seaver, there's nobody that really meets your stated qualifications in this franchise's history.
    Geez. I don't complain about or question other people's choices. I have one vote. Let democracy decide. You are free to vote as you wish. Many more seem to agree with your approach. In that manner, my votes are effectively inconsequential, but I am satisfied to voice my opinion.

Anyway, I think I voted for Keith Hernandez, Mike Piazza, and Gary Carter - though Carter was significantly on the bubble. I probably voted for Dwight Gooden as well.
    Last edited by ReyesOfHope; 07-07-2009, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ReyesOfHope View Post
      I do. Just because there are a limited number of "qualified" players by my standard doesn't mean I will compromise my criteria. If few are elected, then so be it. But these are my standards and you have yours. It is/was a democratic process and let the majority rule. I have no objection to that, and no objection to your opinion.
      Nor I for yours, Reyes (or anybody else's). It's all good and I think everything will even itself out in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
        With all due respect, if anyone wants to see a stingy, empty Mets Hall of Fame, we can try to find Fred Wilpon's official team Hall of Fame. I personally think there's a correlation between its emptiness and the fact that Wilpon doesn't even care enough about it or the franchise's history to provide it with an actual location.
        The original Mets HOF at Shea was pretty pathetic and I don't mean the players who were in, or absent from, it. It was a single "case" that was unceremoniously located near the team store and the Diamond Club restaurants. You were almost in the way of people going in and out of that area if you stopped to look at it. It took, literally, 2 minutes to take in the whole thing. Very poorly done and executed as far as having any aura, atmosphere or sense of history about it. The WS trophies could have been presentations of the blue-plate specials in the grill for all anyone knew. It was tacky and lacked just about everything you'd expect when you hear the words "Mets Hall of Fame".

Here's hoping they do it better at Sitty Field, but in all honesty I don't think it will fare much better. I believe that if Fred and Paris do anything at all, it will be only because they feel they "have to" do something to appease the fans and not because it's something they would otherwise voluntarily do.
        Last edited by StillShea; 07-07-2009, 03:11 PM.

Comment

I voted for Cone, but was kind of on the borderline for him. Overall, his two All-Star selections, 20 win season, back to back strikeout titles, and all-time rankings on the Mets' pitching charts swayed me that he belongs. On most other teams, Cone wouldn't have merited selection. However, with such a relatively short team history and a dearth of winning seasons, I had to go with Cone as being Mets Hall worthy.

Comment

Originally posted by StillShea View Post

As for the qualifications necessary to be "worthy" of this HOF, by definition they have to be below the level of the baseball HOF in Cooperstown, no? If you go by their criteria then there is precisely ONE player who belongs.

I don't even think the "All-Star caliber level for a reasonable amount of time" criteria is very effective. By that measure there are still very few qualified individuals. For many years the Mets had nobody like that. I think the standout players from those years, who grabbed the headlines every day when the team stunk, deserve my vote. Your mileage may vary.
            Welcome to the OMHOF threads and the Mets forum StillShea.

This is a great post. You definitly get it ! A real Mets fan !

Look forward to your continued involvement.

Comment

My contiued strong support for:

Hubie Brooks
              Ed Glynn
              Ray Knight
              Terry Leach
              Craig Swan

- reasons all previously stated.

Another hesitant vote for:

Lenny Dykstra

My first vote for:

Joel Youngblood

After all these elections, I've been convinced by the other voters electionering on his behalf. He does belong. After John Stearns, he was the greatest Met position player of his era.

I am absolutly shocked at the lack of support for Craig Swan, the greatest Met pitcher of his era.

I don't think a convincing argument has been made for Cone or Bobby O, ( ESPECIALLY in light of Swan's inexplicable exclusion).

Comment

Originally posted by whoisonit View Post
                I am absolutly shocked at the lack of support for Craig Swan, the greatest Met pitcher of his era.
                Me too. Kinda sad, actually.

I don't think a convincing argument has been made for Cone or Bobby O
                David Cone: John Schuerholz, certified genius for how he built the Braves, was once an idiot. As GM of the Royals, he traded David Cone for Ed Hearn. He even threw in Chris Jelic for good measure. Ed Hearn was a swell guy. David Cone won 75 games between 1988 and 1992. He went 20-3 in '88. Struck out nineteen on the last day of '91 with the threat of arrest hanging over his head. Led the league in strikeouts that year. Made up for the transgression of dissing the Dodgers in a ghosted NLCS column by shutting them down in his next start. Threw from all kinds of interesting angles. Said all kinds of interesting things. The Mets getting David Cone was a case of Grand Theft Pitcher.

I'm on the fence with Bobby O, although I did post an argument for him. Whether it was convincing or not is naturally in the eye of the beholder.
                Put it in the books.

Comment

I think Bobby Ojeda's 1986 performance is enough to put him in the Hall of Fame. He won 18 games - that's about 17% of the teams wins right there. He led the league in winning percentage, which means he won, and won, and won. Not won, and lost, and won, and lost. Where would the Mets have been in 1986 had Ojeda not pitched so well for them during the regular season? Where would they have been had he not pitched so well during the playoffs? Who would they have used had they not had Ojeda? Bruce Berenyi?

Ojeda was an integral part of the Mets for the 1986 season. And he wasn't THAT bad the other years he pitched for them...he won 13 games in 1989, and in 1988 he posted a 2.88 ERA.

Also, I continue my support for Neil Allen. He did well statistically, saving 22, 18 and 19 games from 1980 to 1982. Those save totals are especially impressive, considering the teams he was pitching for. He was an integral part of the early 80s teams, that did ESPECIALLY bad when he wasn't there - once, when he went down with tendinitis and missed a month, the Mets lost 15 straight games.
                  Last edited by Cowtipper; 07-08-2009, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
                    Also, I continue my support for Neil Allen. He did well statistically, saving 22, 18 and 19 games from 1980 to 1982. Those save totals are especially impressive, considering the teams he was pitching for. He was an integral part of the early 80s teams, that did ESPECIALLY bad when he wasn't there - once, when he went down with tendinitis and missed a month, the Mets lost 15 straight games.
                    Thanx to that paragraph, I'm sold on Allen. He'll get my vote from here on.
                    Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
                      Thanx to that paragraph, I'm sold on Allen. He'll get my vote from here on.
                      Ditto that for me.

Cone - idk, I've come to identify him more with a different team. While he has more of a Met status than say Nolan Ryan or Ken Singleton, he's still a pinstrip of a different color for me.

PVNICK: Why Ojeda but not Swan ?

Comment

Ojeda was great in '86 good in '88 and '90 but maybe is his generation's George Stone. Swan was very good in 78 and less so in 79 but that's it other than 82 over a decade. I guess on marginal calls I'm inclined to put in the 73 and 86 guys over the second tier good players on the teams that stunk.

Comment

Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
                          I guess on marginal calls I'm inclined to put in the 73 and 86 guys over the second tier good players on the teams that stunk.
                          That's a reasonable argument, but I'm willing to recognise the very good on they very bad. What type of numbers would Swan have put up pitching for Ojeda's teams ? It's the same way I felt about Skip Lockwood, who was the best closer in Met's history.

Comment

Voting ends in a few hours.

Comment

tomzpc didn't explain his none of the above vote, so his vote is disqualified. Nevertheless, we didn't elect anybody this round.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X