Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wilpon auctions off 1986 Mets World Series trophy???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilpon auctions off 1986 Mets World Series trophy???

Check out this auction:

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/...2009/1157.html

In it one of only 3 Mets 1986 World Series trophies produced was recently auctioned off. As the text of the auction implies, Wilpon got one, Doubleday got another and the third was displayed in the team offices - or as some here might recall, the puny Mets Hall of Fame that stood out front of the Diamond Club at Shea.

Unless Wilpon or Doubleday sold their personal trophy, the one up for sale at Robert Edward Auctions could only have been the one that belonged to the former Mets Hall of Fame, which as we all know no longer physically exists.

I think this is proof positive that not only did Wilpon never intend on putting a Mets Hall of Fame in "Citi Field", but that he really does have no regard for his own franchise's legacy.

He can't be that hard up for the $30,000.

What a disgrace!

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

I can only hope it was the Doubleday trophy. If not.....

Comment

That's horrible. What's next, "Tom Seaver Effigy Burning Night"? Un-retiring Gil Hodges' number?

Comment

I wonder what his reasoning was behind selling it. Also; is there any way to tell who bought it?
        Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

Comment

My guess is that this was Doubleday's trophy. If I'm wrong then this is shameful. Wonder if we'll ever know the truth. Maybe a reporter can pick up on it and get in touch with the Doubleday family to see if they still have one.

Comment

Originally posted by tomzpc View Post
            My guess is that this was Doubleday's trophy. If I'm wrong then this is shameful. Wonder if we'll ever know the truth. Maybe a reporter can pick up on it and get in touch with the Doubleday family to see if they still have one.
            Come to think of it, you'd think people in the media would pick up on this rather than being in some message board.
            NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
            Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
            Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

Comment

I honestly hope it's from the Doubleday family, too.

I don't want to believe current ownership is selling one of theirs.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
                I honestly hope it's from the Doubleday family, too.

I don't want to believe current ownership is selling one of theirs.
                You want them to sell the team. Why should you care if they sell their WS trophy?
                "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
                  Check out this auction:

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/...2009/1157.html

In it one of only 3 Mets 1986 World Series trophies produced was recently auctioned off. As the text of the auction implies, Wilpon got one, Doubleday got another and the third was displayed in the team offices - or as some here might recall, the puny Mets Hall of Fame that stood out front of the Diamond Club at Shea.

Unless Wilpon or Doubleday sold their personal trophy, the one up for sale at Robert Edward Auctions could only have been the one that belonged to the former Mets Hall of Fame, which as we all know no longer physically exists.

I think this is proof positive that not only did Wilpon never intend on putting a Mets Hall of Fame in "Citi Field", but that he really does have no regard for his own franchise's legacy.

He can't be that hard up for the $30,000.

What a disgrace!
                  It is possible and it is odd, but not proof-positive.

It could be Doubleday's trophy.
                  If it belonged to the team, they still have one.

You sound angry...take up recreational boxing or something to take out your frustrations. Paint Wilpon's face on the bag, I dunno.

I'm really surprised it only went for $32,000 though. What did Charlie Sheen pay for the Buckner ball? Wasn't it more than $100,000?

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Zig Tyko
                    Not only do these low lives not honor the history of my beloved New York Giants, they don't care to honor their [our] own... Years of warmed over crap [starting with them stacking the '62 roster with over the hill Dodgers, trading George, Doubleday's antisemitic remarks, and the dumping of the '86 team] has been thrown at me [an original fan] by these cretin owners, and their predecessors... Now this.
                    I'm curious to see where my heart will take me when, and if, the Giants and Mets hook up in the Wild Card.
                    Strong message to follow.
                    Here's my best advice for you...move to San Francisco?

;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Zig Tyko
                      Not only do these low lives not honor the history of my beloved New York Giants, they don't care to honor their [our] own... Years of warmed over crap [starting with them stacking the '62 roster with over the hill Dodgers, trading George, Doubleday's antisemitic remarks, and the dumping of the '86 team] has been thrown at me [an original fan] by these cretin owners, and their predecessors... Now this.
                      I'm curious to see where my heart will take me when, and if, the Giants and Mets hook up in the Wild Card.
                      Strong message to follow.
                      Ralph, I feel some of your pain, but..........
                      Don't lump Mrs Payson in with the nitwits who are today running the franchise into the ground. She was the ONLY person willing to put up the money to get the Continental league's 2 franchises (Mets and Houston) into the NL; she paid for renovations to get the Polo Grounds ready for 1962; she knew she needed Dodger fans to get on board for the new team; there were not enough NY Giants players to sign so she had to go with Dodgers - the 1957 Giants were old and a whole new wave of players came up to the Jints in 1958-1959 (i.e McCovey, Marichal, Cepeda, Davenport etc) so Mrs Payson had to load up with Brooklyn old timers. It took her ten years to finally convince Horace to give her Willie Mays.

BTW, one of my favorite pictures of her was from the 1976 yearbook and the caption said "The King meets the Queen" and it was from an old timers day at Shea...Carl Hubbel and Mrs Payson. That picture will NEVER see the light of day at Citi Field.

And if someone can tell me why Joan Payson's name is not 'retired' on the wall, I am listening.:hissyfit:

There would be NO Mets franchise , period, if there had been no Joan Payson

Comment

Originally posted by mandrake View Post

And if someone can tell me why Joan Payson's name is not 'retired' on the wall, I am listening.:hissyfit:

I mostly agree with your sentiments toward her. Pehaps the reason she can't make 'the wall' is because there would [have been] NO Lorinda de Roulet, period, if there had been no Joan Payson. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by whoisonit View Post
                          I mostly agree with your sentiments toward her. Pehaps the reason she can't make 'the wall' is because there would [have been] NO Lorinda de Roulet, period, if there had been no Joan Payson. :-)
                          Yes, but people usually can't be held liable for things after they die. Payson died in October 1975. Her family had no clue as to what a MLB franchise even was; she wanted to reuse foul balls to save money, among many other stupid ideas. (Mettle the Mule, anyone).

At least the Mets did not take 22 years to win a WS like the current owner has...and counting!

Comment

Originally posted by mandrake View Post

We'll always agree on this one Kevin! I would have loved to have seen them call the stadium "Payson Park at Willets Point" but it's unlikely that an owner would bestow such an honor on one of their predecessors. At a minimum, the Payson name should be alongside "Shea" and the retired numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by tomzpc View Post
                              We'll always agree on this one Kevin! I would have loved to have seen them call the stadium "Payson Park at Willets Point" but it's unlikely that an owner would bestow such an honor on one of their predecessors. At a minimum, the Payson name should be alongside "Shea" and the retired numbers.
                              Can you imagine if Steinbrenner was still healthy and heard about the 86 WS trophy being auctioned? He would have snapped it up and invited Mets fans to stop up in the Bronx and see it first hand!

What if some fool in Philly bought it just to run it over with a steamroller? I could see some shock jock looking for publicity to do that as a stunt!

BTW, the Steinbrenners have renamed a garage and the street after Ruppert, the previous owner from long ago. They get it ! Say what you want about them, but the Yankees get HISTORY.

One more thing on Mrs Payson....when she owned the Mets at Shea, they outdrew the Yankees every single year 1964-1975 until she died.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X