News on Reyes Injury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News on Reyes Injury

The news keeps getting worse for the Mets, who conceded Tuesday that shortstop Jose Reyes received a cortisone shot and is not close to returning from a hamstring injury.

General manager Omar Minaya knows there is no quick fix for a team riddled with injuries.

"The biggest mistakes I've seen GMs make is when they feel urgency they make big mistakes," Minaya said. "They overreach. We're in a position where, with so many guys out, one guy is not going to make the difference. There's no magic bullet to bring in here."

---

Tough spot Minaya is in. Don't envy the guy right now.
    Mets fans are crying for a move to be made...but what exactly can Minaya do? He doesn't have many chips in the farm. He emptied it out getting Delgado, Putz, and Santana. They haven't exactly drafted well. He can't trade what's left of the everyday players who aren't injured.

To make matters worse...the Phillies are rumored to be front runners in the possible Roy Halladay sweepstakes.
    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Originally posted by TonyStarks View Post
    Mets fans are crying for a move to be made...but what exactly can Minaya do? He doesn't have many chips in the farm. He emptied it out getting Delgado, Putz, and Santana.
    Why do people keep reiterating this when it just isn't true? The Mets have a whole bunch of chips in the farm system. It isn't one of the top systems but it also isn't one of the worst. The problem is that they don't want to part with the best prospects for what might amount to a quick fix.
    In the end, there really wasn't a whole lot of talent given up in the three deals that you mentioned but of course the jury is still out on guys like Gomez and Guerra.

Comment

Yep. Ranking farm systems and prospects, like any kind of economic modeling, is very often a "dismal science".

As this bitter blog entry by an Indians fan points out, when Indians GM Mark Shapiro traded "sure-fire HOF 2B" Roberto Alomar to the Mets going into 2002 for prospects, he chose Alex Escobar and Billy Traber (ranked the #2 and #5 prospects), both of who have bombed... When he probably could have taken the #3 and #7 prospects, Jose Reyes and David Wright.

I have to agree with the blogger that this was a terrible move: having made the difficult but right decision to unload a HOF player at the top of his game for prospects, he managed to go 0-for-4 on the prospects he selected.
      «Telle est la vie des hommes. Quelques joies, très vite effacées par d’inoubliables chagrins. Il n'est pas nécessaire de le dire aux enfants...» (Marcel Pagnol)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X