Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 year anniversary of the Matt Franco game

Today is the 10 year anniversary of the Matt Franco game as with two outs
    in the bottom of the ninth Matt Franco singles to right with two strikes on him
    off Mariano Rivera to score Rickey Henderson and Edgardo Alfonzo to give the
    Mets a 9-8 win over the Yankees.It was arguably one of the most exciting
    Met games I ever been to in my life.I was fortunate enough to be at Game 7
    of the 1986 World Series and I even had Ray Knight sign my ticket stub at a
    card show as he signed it Ray Knight#22 1986 World Series MVP back when
    an upper deck World Series ticket was $30.But that game didn't have the drama that the Matt Franco game did although naturally it had its share to say the least.I was also fortunate enough to be at Game 3 of the 1986 NLCS
    when Lenny Dykstra hit a dramatic walk off(although they didn't call them
    walk offs back then)two-run homer to give the Mets a 6-5 win over the Astros and I even had Lenny Dykstra sign my ticket stub at a card show as he signed it Lenny Dykstra#4 Game Winning Home Run back when an upper
    deck NLCS ticket was $20.That had more drama than the Game 7 1986
    World Series but as far as back and forth drama the Matt Franco game may
    top them all.Certainly it was arguably one of the most exciting regular season
    Met games I ever been to in my life.After Matt Franco hit that game winning
    two-run single the friends that I went to the game with and I were all
    celebrating saying it was one of the most exciting Met games we ever been to
    in our lives.It makes standing outside on line in the freezing cold in the middle
    of the winter to get those tickets worth the trouble as that was before the
    age of being able to buy tickets off the Mets website in your pajamas.
    And at that time the Met-Yankee interleague rivalry was in its infancy as you
    all may know the first year,1997,was Yankee Stadium only,and 1998 was
    Shea Stadium only,so this was also the first year of the interleague rivalry in
    both stadiums.Plus,it was before the 2000 World Series that they were both
    in so this win 10 years ago today had a feeling among Met fans of pure joy
    that can never be duplicated outside of beating the Yankees in a World
    Series.Well,today is the day for the Franco surname as besides the Matt
    Franco game as I just posted about a half hour earlier that the Mets just
    got Jeff Francoeur in a trade from the Braves for Ryan Church.And John
    Franco was a guest on SNY's Daily News Live earlier today.Thanks for
    reading.Sincerely,Joe Rigatoni
    "You don't give up any runs,we'll guarantee you
    at least a tie." ~ Grote to Koosman

I'm waiting for the 10-year anniversary next year of the "Ten Run Inning" game on Fireworks Night, June 30th, 2000. I miss Fireworks Night. That was a Shea tradition that I guess is forever gone.

The only other memory that comes close is being at Shea to see them win the last game of 1999: on a bases-loaded, bottom of the ninth inning, tie game plate appearance by MIKE PIAZZA... Who steps back to take the game-winning wild pitch. WHAAA?

Next on the list: Bobby Jones' complete game one-hitter in Game 4 of the 2000 NLCS was.

Santana's 125-pitch CG in the next-to-last game from Shea's final year deserves to be a better memory, it is unfortunately obscured by the memory of the next game (which I was also at).

Same thing for Endy's Catch in Game 7 of the 2006 NLCS. I was at Shea for that, and there was never a moment in my life when I BELIEVED more truly and deeply that there was no way the Mets would not win that game. Especially when they then loaded the bases with 1 out almost immediately after The Catch. It's still a fond memory but tinged with pain.
    Last edited by robardin; 07-13-2009, 09:16 AM. Reason: it was actually 1 out, not 2, when piazza came to bat on 10/3/1999
    «Telle est la vie des hommes. Quelques joies, très vite effacées par d’inoubliables chagrins. Il n'est pas nécessaire de le dire aux enfants...» (Marcel Pagnol)

Comment

Last I heard Matt is still playing for Bobby V on the Chiba Lotte Marines.
      unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
      unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
      unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X