That stupid apple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That stupid apple

I've long accepted that a lot of younger Met fans think the homerun apple is kewl. Hey, they grew up with it so to them it's part of their Mets Life Experience. Fine, I can tolerate that.

What a dumb thing though. In 1980 the marketing department came up with the slogan "The Magic Is Back" (it wasn't, btw, they finished 28 games under .500) and they installed this "prop" beyond the outfield fence. A magician pulls a rabbit out of a hat, but for Mets magic they had "the Big Apple" come out of a top hat every time a Met hit a home run.

It was a cheesy gimmick after that first year (when the "magic" at least made sense with that year's slogan) that screamed "Schlock" and "Bogus" both at the same time. It was cheap, tacky, and quite lame.

So now they move to a new stadium and they get a new apple that looks more like a red bell pepper, and they install it in... what is that exactly? a "container" that's part of the outfield wall.

Then the Mets go 80 FREAKING INNINGS without a homerun and all of a sudden they hit 2 in quick succession (off that bum David Weathers). What happens? Well, this is the Mets, and their hokey apple gimmick DOESN'T WORK for the second HR! Are you kidding me? Then it gets worse because they say it's working as designed! Hahahahaha! Mets magic indeed.

Like I said, I understand lots of fans like the stupid thing. More power to you if that's what floats your boat. To me, it was - and continues to be (like today) - a symbol of Mets futility. Shabby, broken and just plain weird.

Have to admit, though, that was pretty funny when the fans chanted "We Want the Apple!" when it failed to rise after the second homer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mygirljess View Post
      Have to admit, though, that was pretty funny when the fans chanted "We Want the Apple!" when it failed to rise after the second homer.
      That was pretty funny. I knew they would do it after the inning was over. It'll be interesting to see if they do anything to make it recharge faster.

What does Bernie Brewer do in Milwaukee on back-to-back homers? Does he sprint back up the stairs for a second slide?

Comment

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

BTW, this would be a good post for the Citi thread now that I think of it!

I mean there was an entire website dedicating to preserving the original Apple, and inquiries about the final fate of it, and what the new one would be.

I'm with you though, I didn't want it at all in Citi Field, new or old. Like the neon players, it was a Shea Stadium thing, not a Met thing. The scoreboard top I can live with, since it had the Twin Towers memorial thing, but the Apple should not have been brought over.
        NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
        Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
        Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

Comment

I don't really have a problem with it as I never really paid much attention to it anyway. I guess you could say it is one of our "unique" features which identifies it as saying you're in the Mets stadium. But if they didn't bring it over to Citi, I wouldn't have shed any tears.

What I hate are the 2 big Ad boards errr I mean scoreboards.

Comment

Heh, just couldn't resist the title. I've been thinking how lame the apple is for almost 20 years.

I want fireworks. :hissyfit:
            Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by StillShea View Post
              I've long accepted that a lot of younger Met fans think the homerun apple is kewl. Hey, they grew up with it so to them it's part of their Mets Life Experience. Fine, I can tolerate that.

What a dumb thing though...
              I hate it as well. Though Chief Nocahoma at Fulton County Stadium and the Brewers guy that slid down the slide were corny (once upon a time) too. What scared me is that they made the new apple bigger! Whoa!

Comment

Originally posted by StillShea View Post

What a dumb thing though. In 1980 the marketing department came up with the slogan "The Magic Is Back" (it wasn't, btw, they finished 28 games under .500) and they installed this "prop" beyond the outfield fence. A magician pulls a rabbit out of a hat, but for Mets magic they had "the Big Apple" come out of a top hat every time a Met hit a home run.

It was a cheesy gimmick after that first year (when the "magic" at least made sense with that year's slogan) that screamed "Schlock" and "Bogus" both at the same time. It was cheap, tacky, and quite lame.

So now they move to a new stadium and they get a new apple that looks more like a red bell pepper, and they install it in... what is that exactly? a "container" that's part of the outfield wall.

Then the Mets go 80 FREAKING INNINGS without a homerun and all of a sudden they hit 2 in quick succession (off that bum David Weathers). What happens? Well, this is the Mets, and their hokey apple gimmick DOESN'T WORK for the second HR! Are you kidding me? Then it gets worse because they say it's working as designed! Hahahahaha! Mets magic indeed.

Like I said, I understand lots of fans like the stupid thing. More power to you if that's what floats your boat. To me, it was - and continues to be (like today) - a symbol of Mets futility. Shabby, broken and just plain weird.
                I never like the apple either and I was one of the few that was hoping that they wouldn't bring the strange tradition over to the new park. But then they outdid themselves by incorporating it into the homerun wall so that the apple (it's canister actually) now "affects" the game directly with that silly section of raised fence in centerfield. I understand the affection that many younger fans have for the apple considering that it has always been there for them and I see how it excites young kids (mine included) to see the apple rise like the great pumpkin from the patch on Halloween, so I've accepted it. But I REALLY wish they would move it back into the turf section beyond the wall so that the wall can be at a consistent height across centerfield. It's just way too contrived and downright lame as is.

I must confess though, I found it funny to hear the chants of "ap-ple, ap-ple" when it didn't come up after Tatis' homer.

Comment

Originally posted by ReyesOfHope View Post
                  I hate it as well. Though Chief Nocahoma at Fulton County Stadium and the Brewers guy that slid down the slide were corny (once upon a time) too. What scared me is that they made the new apple bigger! Whoa!
                  Bernie Brewer WAS awesome until they neutered him with the new ballpark by not giving him the giant keg to slide into after a homerun. Let's see, a team named the "Brewers" playing in "Miller Park" and they find it to politically incorrect to allow their mascot to ride the slide into a giant keg. It was a great tradition but now it's corny.

Comment

There was something quaint and almost charming about the shabbiness of the old Apple. But it would have worked! It is funny that the hi-tech new one has this shortcoming.

Comment

The apple always makes me feel that the Mets are one step removed from a AAA team. They shouild move it to the Cyclones Park by Coney Island, that's a more appropriate atmosphere.

Comment

It may be hokey, and contrived, but it's ours, and it reflects our history. (good or bad) Not much else in Citi-Field reflects our history. For that reason alone I like having it around as a connection to our past.
                        unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
                        unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
                        unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

Originally posted by theAmazingMet View Post
                          It may be hokey, and contrived, but it's ours, and it reflects our history. (good or bad) Not much else in Citi-Field reflects our history. For that reason alone I like having it around as a connection to our past.
                          You see to me, as an older fan (started in 1967), it doesn't represent our history nor is it a connection to our past. You don't see the apple behind Tommy Agee in any pix. It was a lame idea when they put it in, and to me, it's still lame. If the Mets go on and win 10 WS in a row, it will still be lame to me. It's just plain bush league. It's just my opinion and I know there are many who like it...I just don't know why?:disbelief:

Comment

Originally posted by LostMet View Post
                            You see to me, as an older fan (started in 1967), it doesn't represent our history nor is it a connection to our past. You don't see the apple behind Tommy Agee in any pix. It was a lame idea when they put it in, and to me, it's still lame. If the Mets go on and win 10 WS in a row, it will still be lame to me. It's just plain bush league. It's just my opinion and I know there are many who like it...I just don't know why?:disbelief:
                            Hear hear!

It was a silly '80s marketing campaign, just like the neon players were late 80s-early 90s schlock, it should have stayed back in that era.

They probably did pattern it after Chief Noc-A-Homa, but like the Braves thing, it should have died with the times (you don't see a wig-wam at Turner Field do ya?).

Eh, I can kind of see the SaveTheApple.com's point about preserving the old one, but only if the Mets went through with their seemingly scrapped, and then brought back due to media and fan backlash, plans for a Met Muesem & HOF at Citi Field, and had it in that general area. Heck, maybe instead of the Mo'Zone, that should be where the Muesem should be, since its near the Apple and where the banners are. Find some other place for the "party room."

Eh, whatever I guess. But I agree, it does add to the perception that the Mets are a minor league organization, especially in the eyes of other team's fans.
                            NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
                            Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
                            Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

Comment

I fell in love with the Mets in the era of the apple and the neon players, so I'm biased the other way... Really, it was the most distinguishing part of Shea Stadium As I Knew It, aside from the perfectly symmetrical yet cavernous ballpark dimensions which I definitely don't miss. I see the pics of the 1960s/1970s era Shea Stadium and it just looks bland and functional (as opposed to cheerfully cheesy).

I do wish the apple "canister" were level with the rest of the CF wall, though I have already seen HRs hit to straightaway center that (a) went just to the side of the apple where it would have ricocheted had it been right in line with it (by David Wright), and (b) went into the apple skeeball-styple (by the departed Ryan Church). The last bit was particularly entertaining: something extra should happen for that, a la the famous Abe Stark "Win A Suit" sign.

The old apple had no problems coming up for back-to-backers, that's a bad (and telling) sign that the Mets did not foresee that possibility when creating this new ballpark!
                              «Telle est la vie des hommes. Quelques joies, très vite effacées par d’inoubliables chagrins. Il n'est pas nécessaire de le dire aux enfants...» (Marcel Pagnol)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X