Do we have anything to sell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do we have anything to sell?

The Mets' roster is in shambles in ways that have previously never been witnessed.
    Post All Star break the news on our injured stars is...

Carlos Beltran - Carlos Beltran's post-break MRI revealed no change in the size of the bone bruise. He will need more rest and his return is not imminent, according to GM Omar Minaya. (Updated 07/16/2009).... I would put his return at late July - early August, and unlikely to be 100% for the rest of the year.

Jose Reyes - just had a cortisone shot, and theoretically is the closest to returning. He is running but not cutting the bases. Could be back by end of July, but generally he is a streaky player, so who knows when he'll find his rhythm, although a dead horse carcass at SS would be an improvement at this point.

Delgado - Mets GM Omar Minaya says Carlos Delgado (hip surgery to repair a torn labrum) is progressing, but they are not ready to move his return up from mid-August at this point. That, and he's old, so he's not necessarily a lightning in a bottle guy.

John Maine - The Mets say John Maine threw live BP on Thursday and reported no pain. He is still 7-to-10 days from making a rehab start. Mets GM Omar Minaya is optimistic he will be ready before the end of the July. John is a warrior so I'm confident he'll be bakc when he says he will, but whether or not he will be any good is another question.

Sheffield - Pop Quiz Hot Shot! There's a bomb on Gary. Once Gary goes over 250 AB's, the bomb is armed. If he keeps playing, it blows up. What do you do? WHAT do YOU do!?

F-Mart - knee surgery, out 6 to 8 weeks, see ya next Easter.

Oliver Perez - I wish he was injured.

Billy Wagner - The New York Post reports that Mets RP Wagner doesn't think he'll contribute much once he returns from an elbow injury later this season. "I think what I would be is a Brian Stokes-type player," said Wagner. "I might pitch once a week."
    ...this comment is "hilarious" for a couple reasons, first of all WHY is Brian Stokes only pitching once a week? and 2) there is no bright future and cadre of reinforcements on the horizon....only the dwindling of another disappointing season...deal with it.

oh and I almost forgot..
    JJ Putz - Mets setup man J.J. Putz hasn't started throwing following surgery June 9 to remove a bone spur and fragments of bone from his right elbow and likely won't return until late August or early September.....if at all, I guess we're not picking up his $9 million dollar option?

So my question is compound 1) Is it time to sell?... And if so, do we have anything to sell? 2) Assuming we think it is time to sell, would Minaya ever do it?
    "Nobody ever won a World Series drinking milk"
    -Doug Sisk, RP 1986 Mets

Hadn't heard that F. Martinez needs knee surgery. Unreal.

Comment

Originally posted by Frogshiem77 View Post
      So my question is compound 1) Is it time to sell?... And if so, do we have anything to sell? 2) Assuming we think it is time to sell, would Minaya ever do it?
      Can't sell players on the DL, so there's not much to sell.

Comment

I'm sure there are some extra lunch boxes to list on ebay.

Comment

Pedro Feliciano and Brian Schneider to the Cubs for Jake Fox?
          "Nobody ever won a World Series drinking milk"
          -Doug Sisk, RP 1986 Mets

Comment

They wouldn't do that. Jake Fox is one of the few young, productive players they have right now. And with new ownership and the bankruptcy, they will need affordable players.

I don't think Sheffield has an AB limit. It's more about how much time he spends in the OF. He's definitely one of the more attractive pieces we have to trade. The Angels, Mariners, Twins, Rays, Reds, and Giants might be interested.

If Wagner comes back healthy, he might be able to slip through waivers and get him for a PTBNL. I would think the Rays would want him.

I doubt they'd sell though. But I don't think this team is worth saving either.
            "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

If they don't turn things around and make up a little ground soon, it will be time to sell. The Phillies are hitting their stride, and the healthy Mets did nothing the last 2 years to make us believe they have the heart or makeup to come back from a large deficit, let alone hold onto a big advantage with weeks to go.
              unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
              unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
              unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

Are you looking to pull back and trade Beltran/Reyes/Wright and build from there or just is sell meaning so we can plug up the holes and perhaps salvage this season?
                Last edited by PVNICK; 07-17-2009, 12:32 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
                  Are you looking to pull back and trade Beltran/Reyes/Wright and build from there or just is sell meaning so we can plug up the holes and perhaps salvage this season?
                  I wouldn't trade any of those guys or Santana or K-Rod. Just guys like maybe Feliciano, Castillo, Sheffield or the like. Definately don't buy if we are fading fast, what's the point? To dig a greater hole for ourselves next year?
                  unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
                  unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
                  unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

Looks like, after rummaging around, something was found to sell after all.
                    Last edited by Mongoose; 07-17-2009, 11:38 PM.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

Looks like, after rummaging around, something was found to sell after all.
                      Nice to see they were at least resourceful.
                      Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by theAmazingMet View Post
                        I wouldn't trade any of those guys or Santana or K-Rod. Just guys like maybe Feliciano, Castillo, Sheffield or the like. Definately don't buy if we are fading fast, what's the point? To dig a greater hole for ourselves next year?
                        Well, Sheffield is hurt now but even if healthy he's not going to bring back more than a low level minor leaguer. Castillo has an untradeable contract. If the Mets could GIVE him away they would but there would be no takers unless maybe the Mets picked up the majority of his remaining contract. With two years left that is highly unlikely. Feliciano actually would have decent value but even then what are you going to get back besides maybe a couple of low to middling minor leaguers. May as well keep him for next year.
                        So in other words, the Mets really don't have anything of value to sell at this moment.

Comment

I think they should not make something stupid. Just wait for the guys to rehab. They won't get good value for those players now.

If everything goes well the next season they will play a good roe, if all guys are healthy the mets are a great team.

You guys should not force somthing to somehow save this season. It's highly unlikely and even if you have some success you will hurt your chance for the next years.

Now you would have to sell guys well below market value.

The only chance for this year is when the stars get healthy fast. If not let go of this season and try again next year.

That's just terrible bad luck. No team can wins with their 3 or 4 best players hurt.
                          I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

It is now clear that the season is over. If you had any hope at the all-star break, you can't now. Whatever life this team had at the break -- and I don't think it had much -- is now gone. The team's listliss play will only get worse, if that is even possible. I believe this is the sixth time in the last twenty games that the team has been shut out. I was not in NYC during the 1980's, but I can't recall following a Mets team that had a worse lineup than this team as it is right now. I understand that the team has been ravaged with injuries. I'm just making an observation. FWIW, I don't think that there is anything that Omar could have done to fix this team with all of its injuries, and I don't fault him for not making a mortgage-the-future trade.
                            Last edited by EasilyFound; 07-18-2009, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X