• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• banner day 2009 - ny times

http://bats.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/0...09/?ref=sports

July 16, 2009, 10:02 pm
    Banner Day, 2009
    By Jay Schreiber

The Mets’ last Banner Day was staged years ago but it was revived by The New York Times over the past week and produced some pretty clever results.

Close to 100 people used words and images to comment on the 2009 season, which, for the Mets, has been a succession of minor calamities. Contributors took note of the team’s medical mayhem, the overly large dimensions of Citi Field, the game-ending popup that Luis Castillo famously dropped and the team’s overall failure to play winning baseball. The team’s unhappy connection to Wall Street scandal didn’t escape scrutiny, nor did the ongoing absence of Bobby Valentine.

Even the memory of Casey Stengel was evoked, along with the “Can’t Anybody Here Play This Game?’’ team that he managed in the early 1960’s.

Most of the entries were humorous, and at least a few people expressed a desire to see the Mets bring back Banner Day as an annual event. Maybe someday they will, but until then we’ve filled the void.

Without further ado, here are the most noteworthy of this year’s entries. It should be noted that one contributor — Marc Ragovin — came up with two winners. So far, he’s having a better season than the Mets.

Winning Images

Scott Grayson and Roy Tuck This pretty much sums up the first half of the Mets’ 2009 season. Even Mr. Met can’t hold onto his over-sized baseball head, and he is no doubt going to be the next Met headed to the disabled list. Note the Piti Field sign looming in the background.

Susan Spector, Leonia, NJ The number and frequency of injuries and trips to the D.L. by Mets players this year has been unprecedented. It seems to me that, perhaps, fans and the team could benefit from a good laugh about their unfortunate predicament. During her childhood, my daughter has gone through boxes of adhesive bandages featuring a myriad of Disney, cartoon and TV characters. Knowing the popularity of these designer adhesive bandages led me to imagine a promotional tie-in. It would bring sponsorship dollars to the club and much-needed laughs to all!
    Jon Keller, Shea Stadium Win or lose…we love ‘em….and we love Shea too.
    Paul Stoddard The injuries to Carlos Delgado (21), Carlos Beltran (15) and Jose Reyes (7) have indeed been heart-breaking to Mets fans.
    Matt Netter Razor Shines is, by all accounts, a great guy and a very good coach. While his personality shines, the rest of the team, well, not so much.
    Rachel Eisenman I want the Mets to know we understand the situation and that we support them and wish them well.
    Winning Comments

Someone Madoff With the Mets’ Season — Dave Miller, Glen Head, N.Y.

Paging Bobby Valentine. Bobby Valentine to the Front Desk, Please — Mark Scarola , East Northport, N.Y.

Mets Fever, Catch It With Both Hands — Alex (no last name or address available)

Mr. Wilpon, Tear Down These Walls! — Marc Ragovin, New York, N.Y.

Obama to Congress: We Must Reform Mets Health Care in Our Lifetime — Marc Ragovin

Droppin’ Like Flies! — Zach Joachim, Sudbury, Mass.

Not a Banner Season — Michael Dube, Pittsburgh, Pa.

Chicks Dig the Double-Play Grounder — Larry Arnold, Rockville, Md.

We Have Mets the Enemy and They Is Us — Richard F. Hartzell, New York, N.Y.

Each Met Can Do the Work of Three Men: Larry, Moe and Curly — Stephen D. Gross, Monte Rio, Calif.

Can’t Anybody Here Catch This Ball? — Mark Bernstein, Springfield, Pa.

Little League Ball at Big-League Prices — John Bauer, St. Petersburg, Fla.

I Came to Citi Field and All I Got Was This Lousy Team — Illiana J. Murray, Brooklyn, N.Y.

Some great replies.
    Put it in the books.

Comment

hahaha

True Met fans - they have a sense of humor !

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X