Jerry and Omar Will Be Back in 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tomzpc View Post
    Delgado is a free agent anyway so he won't be back. Sure you can consider trading Reyes but it won't be an option if he doesn't come back healthy this year which is looking less likely every day.

I can understand when people are down on Reyes for his mental miscues and childish antics (I know he drives me crazy) but what would suggest that he has already peaked Kevin? Maybe the stolen bases have peaked but ideally he should be running less anyway IMO. The "kid" just turned 26. How many shortstops have put up numbers like he has at that age even without the stolen bases? And even with the occasional bonehead play he's still a good defensive shortstop with an excellent arm. I'm okay with trading him (or anyone for that matter) but you have to get back quality talent. This isn't a rebuilding situation.
    Tom
    Here is one article that I read from ESPN back in June right before he turned 26:

But there are talent evaluators with other teams who have their doubts. They see a diminishment of range, for whatever reason, and some signs of erosion in his defensive play. They point out that even at its highest, Reyes' on-base percentage still falls in the range of .355 to .360, which is good but far from the level of an elite hitter -- and they wonder if he'll actually get better.

"I don't see a lot of evolution there," said one scout this week. "Jimmy Rollins struggled early in his career, but then he just kept getting better and better, and I'm not really seeing that in Reyes."

Rest assured, most teams would love to have Reyes, and even if the Mets determine, internally, that Reyes will never play consistently at a higher level, that doesn't necessarily mean they should trade him.

But waiting for Reyes to develop into a superstar might turn out to be their search for the great white whale; there's a chance that it might never be satisfied. He might already be as good as he's going to get. Going forward, the Mets should not assume that Reyes is going to be an unmovable foundation piece. They should not assume that they can count on greatness from him, because there have been too many periods when he has been much less than that.

Reyes remains in limbo due to a hamstring injury; the Mets really don't know when he's going to come back.

Comment

Originally posted by mandrake View Post
      Tom
      Here is one article that I read from ESPN back in June right before he turned 26:

But there are talent evaluators with other teams who have their doubts. They see a diminishment of range, for whatever reason, and some signs of erosion in his defensive play. They point out that even at its highest, Reyes' on-base percentage still falls in the range of .355 to .360, which is good but far from the level of an elite hitter -- and they wonder if he'll actually get better.

"I don't see a lot of evolution there," said one scout this week. "Jimmy Rollins struggled early in his career, but then he just kept getting better and better, and I'm not really seeing that in Reyes."

Rest assured, most teams would love to have Reyes, and even if the Mets determine, internally, that Reyes will never play consistently at a higher level, that doesn't necessarily mean they should trade him.

But waiting for Reyes to develop into a superstar might turn out to be their search for the great white whale; there's a chance that it might never be satisfied. He might already be as good as he's going to get. Going forward, the Mets should not assume that Reyes is going to be an unmovable foundation piece. They should not assume that they can count on greatness from him, because there have been too many periods when he has been much less than that.

Reyes remains in limbo due to a hamstring injury; the Mets really don't know when he's going to come back.
      Gotta love how they say "talent evaluators with other teams" and then they quote ONE unnamed scout. They also point out his OBP in the .355 and .360 range and then go on to compare him to Rollins who btw has a career .330 OBP and has never had a season over .349. Rollins has also been awful for the past year and a half. Listen, I don't think that Reyes will ever be a superstar. He doesn't have the head for that. If we could surgically attach Cora's head to Reyes' body you would have the greatest shortstop we've ever seen, but that ain't gonna happen. Reyes may never again put up the combined numbers that we saw in '96 but I expect him to gain better plate discipline (where he has shown improvement already) and more power.

Now, that being said, if he comes back and shows that he is healthy I'm fine with trading him IF we get back equal talent, preferably in the form of pitching. I'm as tired of Reyes' act as anyone but we can't let this type of home grown talent get away for close to nothing. BTW, he's only under contract for 2 more years (1 and an option) so if we are going to move him this offseason wouldn't necessarily be a bad time to do so. Again though, it won't happen if he isn't healthy.

Now, back on topic. Fire Jerry....now! Oh, and Bernazard too of course. I'd give Omar to the end of the year and then see what's available. Bringing in a new GM mid-season who doesn't know the farm system and the players would be a mistake.
      Last edited by tomzpc; 07-24-2009, 06:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tomzpc View Post
        Gotta love how they say "talent evaluators with other teams" and then they quote ONE unnamed scout. They also point out his OBP in the .355 and .360 range and then go on to compare him to Rollins who btw has a career .330 OBP and has never had a season over .349. Rollins has also been awful for the past year and a half. Listen, I don't think that Reyes will ever be a superstar. He doesn't have the head for that. If we could surgically attach Cora's head to Reyes' body you would have the greatest shortstop we've ever seen, but that ain't gonna happen. Reyes may never again put up the combined numbers that we saw in '96 but I expect him to gain better plate discipline (where he has shown improvement already) and more power.

Now, that being said, if he comes back and shows that he is healthy I'm fine with trading him IF we get back equal talent, preferably in the form of pitching. I'm as tired of Reyes' act as anyone but we can't let this type of home grown talent get away for close to nothing. BTW, he's only under contract for 2 more years (1 and an option) so if we are going to move him this offseason wouldn't necessarily be a bad time to do so. Again though, it won't happen if he isn't healthy.

Now, back on topic. Fire Jerry....now! Oh, and Bernazard too of course. I'd give Omar to the end of the year and then see what's available. Bringing in a new GM mid-season who doesn't know the farm system and the players would be a mistake.
        Don't laugh, but if the Mets could make an impact move for either an ace or a true power hitter, there is still a chance for the Wild Card. I know, it's a long shot, but my original hope for 85-90 wins would probably get a Wild Card.
        I hope the Dodgers and Phillies each get to 100 wins, and I would like to see someone in the central pull away. Then root like hell for the front runners to pound the others (Giants, Rockies, etc).

I would fire the manager and the coaching staff (how can one justify Hojo?). Keith knows more about hitting ! Put everyone on notice that the last 65 games or so will determine their MLB future. Everyone.

When Dallas Green went to the Cubs, he was frustrated when he saw their country club attitiude. Every single person in the Cubs franchise thought they were safe. I think that same attitide has ruined this Mets team. No more carrot approach with votes of confidence, it is time to use the stick approach and say "if we don't turn this around, many of you will be gone".

The Mets are in a tougher position than many teams, since they have the Yankees in the same town and need to appeal to the fan who has to decide where he wants to drop a $100 or more to go to a game. I am not talking about fans who have upped their $19 or $25 already, but the Mets can't sit by and watch their prime seats stay empty the rest of the year.

Anyone notice that the press no longer seems to point out how many expensive seats are empty at YS? Because winning takes care of a lot !

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X