This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mets reject Halladay trade

According to John Heyman the Mets have turned down a trade proposed by Toronto for Roy Halladay. The Jays reportedly wanted Fernando Martinez, Jon Neise, Ruben Tejeda, and Bobby Parnell.
    unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
    unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
    unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Minaya denied the rumor was true.

True or not, he was smart for doing so. This trade would have left nothing in the farm system. Literally, nothing. Hallday can't turn this team around on his own. Only Babe Ruth could.

Another thing, Halladay isn't even the best pitcher in his own league. People need to start realizing that.
    "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Originally posted by NYMets523 View Post
      Hallday can't turn this team around on his own. Only Babe Ruth could.
      If Ruth would pitch every other day and bat cleanup.

Comment

Even once every 5 days would be an improvement.
        "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

this was shot down by a few sources as completely untrue
          "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Comment

But when asked about the validity of such a deal, Minaya said, "I am not going to comment on rumors."

Comment

True or not, he was smart for doing so. This trade would have left nothing in the farm system. Literally, nothing. Hallday can't turn this team around on his own. Only Babe Ruth could.

Another thing, Halladay isn't even the best pitcher in his own league. People need to start realizing that.
              Actually, this deal would have been a no-brainer on the Mets part IMO. To add one of the top pitchers in baseball to pair with Johan going into 2010 and not give up your best positional prospect (Flores) or your best 2 pitching prospects (Holt and Mejia) would be a steal. Even if you only have Halliday for one year you then get 2 number 1 draft picks when he walks in 2011. You are giving up F-Mart who still has a lot of promise, but other than that what are we talking about here? Niese projects to be a #3 or #4 starter at best, Parnell has nothing other than a fastball which he can't pinpoint and Tejada is a light hitting shortstop prospect.

I'd be surprised if this rumor is legit. There HAD to be more involved. FWIW, I don't think that Halliday wants to come here anyway.
              Last edited by tomzpc; 07-21-2009, 06:24 AM.

Comment

I can't imagine the Blue Jays agreeing to that trade. Too many teams are willing to give them more.
                Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST View Post
                  I can't imagine the Blue Jays agreeing to that trade. Too many teams are willing to give them more.
                  While I don't believe the rumor is legit, we still don't know what other teams are willing to give. It could be that teams aren't offering what the Blue Jays (or we) consider to be a decent offer.

Comment

Originally posted by EasilyFound View Post
                    But when asked about the validity of such a deal, Minaya said, "I am not going to comment on rumors."
                    Which is typical of him. He always gives ambiguous answers. This rumor has been shot down as false

http://twitter.com/keithlaw/status/2750610015

http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/st/ar...ams_still.html

Comment

Which is typical of him. He always gives ambiguous answers.
                      But you wrote that Omar had denied that the rumor is true.

Comment

Regardless, the rumor is false. Keith Law and Joel Sherman have reported it as such.

Comment

Heyman, on the Fan, stood by the story and basically said the Mets were lying.

Comment

Obviously he's not going to admit he was wrong. Keith Law said it was false and he used to work in the Jays organization. He also said the Jays would have wanted Jenrry Mejia in the deal since he's considered one of the best pitching prospects in our system. Riccardi himself denied it. Joel Sherman said it was false.

Comment

If true, we just turned down future hall of famer Roy Halladay for a bag of balls. But hey, we've got Ollie Perez to look forward to for the next 2 1/2 years. yay!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X