Tony Bernazard Tirade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony Bernazard Tirade

A New York Mets executive recently challenged one of club's minor league teams to a fight during a postgame clubhouse tirade, the New York Daily News reported, citing multiple sources with ties to the team.

Tony Bernazard, the team's vice president for player development, pulled off his shirt and challenged the Double-A Binghamton Mets in the tirade, about 10 days before the All-Star break. He in particular targeted middle infield prospect Jose Coronado, according to the report.

Binghamton had gone 1-6 during an early July homestand that coincided with the outburst, losing three of those games by at least seven runs. The team was 37-58 and in last place in the Eastern League Northern Division entering Wednesday's scheduled games.

LINK

--

Is this any way for a VP to act? I could understand being frustrated with the way your team is playing, but this seems a bit too far.
    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

If this stuff is true the Mets really need to get rid of this clown.

He must have "something good" on Omar.

Comment

Mabye they should hire Kevin McReynolds to take his place.

Comment

Tony's reign of terror began long before this episode. I never cared for him and unfortunately in this regime he is one step away from being the GM. Obviously he has a short temper, not to mention bad judgement. Not exactly the type of qualities we want in a GM. I believe he should be shown the door.
        unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
        unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
        unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

Originally posted by EasilyFound View Post
          Mabye they should hire Kevin McReynolds to take his place.
          I know you are being sarcastic but could you imagine KMac as GM. You would have to hold a gun to his head to get a quote, and lay a mirror under his nose during the trade deadline to see if he is alive!
          unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
          unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
          unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

Originally posted by theAmazingMet View Post
            I know you are being sarcastic but could you imagine KMac as GM. You would have to hold a gun to his head to get a quote, and lay a mirror under his nose during the trade deadline to see if he is alive!
            And at the end of the day he'd out produce everyone else who runs around like a monkey on acid to make up for their deficiencies and misjudgements.

This whole Beranzard thing seems so strange. What exactly does he have on Omar or the Wilpon's to justify being kept around?

Comment

It must have been comical watching that fool whip off his shirt and challenge the team. I guess he figures they suck so bad even he could beat them all by himself.

I feel I have to note that Kevin McReynolds didn't really produce well; he put up the emptiest numbers I've ever seen. He was like a black hole in the 4/5/6 spot. The only thing that jolted him out of his catatonic state was when someone would either throw at him, or intentionally walk the batter in front of him to face him. Then his numbers were unreal. When it actually mattered, though, McReynolds seldom did much.

It's not just my own perceptions here, but verifiable fact. Check out his numbers in pressure situations as a Met. Baseball Reference isn't working right now so I can't link to them, but his numbers in high leverage situations in 1987 were atrocious, they rebounded slightly in 1988 and he went into general decline by 1989.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

This is probably the funniest part:

Bernazard particularly went after middle infield prospect Jose Coronado, using a slang term associated with a woman's anatomy, a source indicated. The confrontation happened about 10days before the All-Star break, according to insiders.

--

There's another episode:

The scouting community has been abuzz with an account of Mets VP Tony Bernazard going into a profanity-laced tirade directed at the organization's manager of baseball operations at Citi Field, which left witnesses in the section behind home plate aghast. According to two sources, scouts had settled in a row behind the plate during a recent game. Bernazard arrived and found a Diamondbacks scout sitting in the seat he wanted. When Bernazard's underling suggested that the Mets VP wait until the end of the half-inning to change the seating arrangement in order to minimize the disruption, Bernazard went ballistic in a rant against his Ivy League-educated deputy.

---

Now, I have heard this guy's name mentioned a few times...and never in a positive light so I did some digging as to how he even got this job:
                Tony Bernazard, a former utility player and another old friend of Minaya's. Bernazard joined the Mets' ranks as a special assistant after a long tenure in the Players' Association (his big claim to fame was his work on bringing the World Baseball Classic into existence). Bernazard had no experience as a coach, scout, or front office executive but he did have good relationships with a lot of players through his work with the MLBPA. So Minaya hired him.
                And then here:

Carlos Delgado chose to sign with the Marlins instead of the Mets in 2005 because the front office mistakenly played the race card to woo him. That gaffe was largely attributed to Tony Bernazard, who allegedly so alienated Delgado that Carlos asked to deal exclusively with Minaya before eliminating the Mets from consideration entirely.

One year later, Bernazard rises to the rank of VP of Player Development with the Mets. He continues his role as adviser to Minaya, but now he has control over the Mets' minor-league development.

If you want to read more: FOLLOW ME

---

All this time I had wondered who exactly was heading up the Player Development for the Mets and why the lack of ready prospects. Little did I know that someone with no experience at all was the head of it. Does anyone know why this guy is still employed by the Mets? Why does Minaya even need him around?

FYI: In 1984 with the Indians, he went through an 0 for 44 stretch at the plate, tying a major league hitless streak for non-pitchers in the last 50 years.
                Last edited by TonyStarks; 07-22-2009, 11:40 AM.
                "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

Originally posted by TonyStarks View Post
                  This is probably the funniest part:

Bernazard particularly went after middle infield prospect Jose Coronado, using a slang term associated with a woman's anatomy, a source indicated. The confrontation happened about 10days before the All-Star break, according to insiders.

--

There's another episode:

The scouting community has been abuzz with an account of Mets VP Tony Bernazard going into a profanity-laced tirade directed at the organization's manager of baseball operations at Citi Field, which left witnesses in the section behind home plate aghast. According to two sources, scouts had settled in a row behind the plate during a recent game. Bernazard arrived and found a Diamondbacks scout sitting in the seat he wanted. When Bernazard's underling suggested that the Mets VP wait until the end of the half-inning to change the seating arrangement in order to minimize the disruption, Bernazard went ballistic in a rant against his Ivy League-educated deputy.
                  The episode behind home plate must have been comical, too. Did it happen at "Citi"? Not that the Wall Street types sitting there can't be thuggish in their own way, but that might have been the first time they ever saw a lunatic display of that sort of gutter machismo up close. I wonder if he whipped off his shirt in this instance as well?

I'll bet he's history quick: not because the minor leagues are a disaster, but because Wilpon wants his hirelings to be low key. He doesn't want to be disturbed by controversy as he sits in his office figuring out new ways to wring money out of the fans.
                  Last edited by Mongoose; 07-22-2009, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
                    The episode behind home plate must have been comical, too. Did it happen at "Citi"? Not that the Wall Street types sitting there can't be thuggish in their own way, but that might have been the first time they ever saw a lunatic display of that sort of gutter machismo up close. I wonder if he whipped off his shirt in this instance as well?

I'll bet he's history quick: not because the minor leagues are a disaster, but because Wilpon wants his hirelings to be low key. He doesn't want to be disturbed by controversy as he sits in his office figuring out new ways to wring money out of the fans.
                    Isn't there anybody competent anywhere in the Mets organization?

Wilpon has a HUGE investment in the Mets and CF. If he ran his business like he runs the Mets, are you shocked Madoff took him for hundreds of millions$$$ ?

Comment

Please let this be what gets Bernazard out of here. At least "exile" him to the Dominican for scouting.

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
                      You've described just about every single owner in professional sports.
                      "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Originally posted by NYMets523 View Post
                        Please let this be what gets Bernazard out of here. At least "exile" him to the Dominican for scouting.
                        The Dominican? Why there? There are actual prospects there.

If I'm a Mets fan I want him away from the Dominican/Venezuela/Japan where he can do damage. Send him to South Africa or India to scout if you really want to exile him.

Comment

If he had anything at all to do with bringing the World Baseball Classic into existence then he should be in another line of work.

As for his tirade in Bingotown, it's a cultural thing with all the macho this and respect that. I don't really have a problem with that. The bottom line is he was trying to get across to the kids that underage drinking is unacceptable. His methods were probably appropriate given their upbringing.

I have a far greater problem with Antonio Bernazard Garcia (his real name) having the ear of Jeffy Wilpon. That kind of short circuit around the chain of command typifies the dysfunction of the entire franchise.

Comment

On the other hand... Did Binghampton win after Bernazard's lunatic pep talk? If it worked, this might usher in a whole new management style for the team.

Fred is out $700,000,000.00 as a result of disasters on other fronts; combine this with probable diminished future attendance as a result of the horrible team and it could spell trouble. He needs the mall areas of "Citi Field" to perform well, otherwise he won't be able to make his bond payments.

Maybe if sausage sales slow, Fred could respond by launching into a potty-mouthed tirade at the dunk tank, whiffle ball and concessions workers, whipping off his shirt and challenging them to a fight... He just has to remember not to stop to unbutton his shirt before whipping it off - it'd dilute the machismo quotient.
                            Last edited by Mongoose; 07-22-2009, 02:50 PM.

Comment

As for his tirade in Bingotown, it's a cultural thing with all the macho this and respect that. I don't really have a problem with that. The bottom line is he was trying to get across to the kids that underage drinking is unacceptable. His methods were probably appropriate given their upbringing.
                              Whao, if that is on the level.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X