The Mayor's Trophy Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mayor's Trophy Game

Who remembers this old tradition? Something I didn't know was that it started between the Yankees and Brooklyn Dodgers, ending after the Dodgers moved in '57.

It was revived between the Yankees and Mets in 1963, with the Mets winning the first one. It went on hiatus in 1980 and '81, was then revived in '82, but was discontinued after '83.

When I have a moment, I'll try to get an accurate all-time series record, since some of the online citations don't look right. Other memories are welcome.

Originally posted by VIBaseball View Post
    Who remembers this old tradition? Something I didn't know was that it started between the Yankees and Brooklyn Dodgers, ending after the Dodgers moved in '57.

It was revived between the Yankees and Mets in 1963, with the Mets winning the first one. It went on hiatus in 1980 and '81, was then revived in '82, but was discontinued after '83.

When I have a moment, I'll try to get an accurate all-time series record, since some of the online citations don't look right. Other memories are welcome.
    I remember the Mayor's trophy games well but didn't realize that the tradition had started between the Yankees and the Dodgers.

I do recall one year that Craig Nettles supposedly threw the ball away intentionally to avoid having to play extra innings.

Comment

Mayor's Trophy Game

I remember reading about the first Mayor Trophy game where Casey Stengel
      wanted to win in the worst way because he wanted to stick it to the Yankees
      after they fired him after the 1960 season.Casey then proceeded to play all
      his "top position players" and "top pitchers" in that game where as the Yankees played their reserves and minor leaguers for the most part and as a
      result the Mets won the first Mayor Trophy game.

I also remember in 1978 where second baseman Brian Doyle for the Yankees
      made a game saving play on the field in extra innings so the game would
      continue and got a tongue lashing from Graig Nettles and other Yankee
      veterans as a result who just wanted to go home.I guess they didn't share
      the fans' passion for beating the crosstown rivals even though it was only
      an exhibition game.

Grote said to Koosman:"You don't give up any runs,we'll guarantee you at
      least a tie."(lol)
      "You don't give up any runs,we'll guarantee you
      at least a tie." ~ Grote to Koosman

Comment

Phil Rizzuto at the 1955 Mayor's Trophy Game at Ebbets Field.
        #20 is Billy Hunter.
        #51 is bonus baby Frank Leja.
        Also, Mickey Mantle with head turned, standing behind Hunter and Leja.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Let's Go Mets!; 07-28-2009, 09:47 PM.
        Let's Go Mets!
        New York Mets fan since 1962

Comment

im too young to remember the mayors trophy game....but I DO remember when the mets and yanks used to play at the end of some the of spring trainings.

I have games I taped back then from 1989 and 1993 where they played a home and home at the very beginning of april right before the season
          "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Comment

Originally posted by Let's Go Mets! View Post
            Phil Rizzuto at a Mayor's Trophy Game at Ebbets Field.
            Excellent pic. Thanx much for sharing.
            Put it in the books.

Comment

I miss the MTG. At least it was exhibition. I preferred it much more than I prefer seasonal interleague play, which actually counts toward the season's record, and takes away from the schedule important games that could otherwise be played within the respective leagues.

In my not so humble opinion, I say save the interleague play for the World Series.
              Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
                I miss the MTG. At least it was exhibition. I preferred it much more than I prefer seasonal interleague play, which actually counts toward the season's record, and takes away from the schedule important games that could otherwise be played within the respective leagues.

In my not so humble opinion, I say save the interleague play for the World Series.
                ditto this

Comment

I have compiled the history of the Mets vs. Yankees phase of the Mayor's Trophy Game here.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bu...7s_Trophy_Game

There's a good bit of color that was new to me and I hope will be to you all as well. This is my favorite bit, from 1982. Winning pitcher Steve Ratzer, who never got into a regular-season game for the Mets, arrived from Tidewater just six hours before the game. His name was sewn on his uniform so hurriedly that the “A” fell off!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Let's Go Mets! View Post
                    Phil Rizzuto at the 1955 Mayor's Trophy Game at Ebbets Field.
                    #20 is Billy Hunter.
                    #51 is bonus baby Frank Leja.
                    Also, Mickey Mantle with head turned, standing behind Hunter and Leja.
                    A fine pic indeed. However, I believe it is from a pre-season exhibition in April between the Yankees and Dodgers. It was a two-game home-and-home set. The in-season Mayor's Trophy Game that year was against the Giants at Yankee Stadium on June 27. As it happened, Rizzuto was the star.

Comment

I have compiled the history of the Mets vs. Yankees phase of the Mayor's Trophy Game here.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bu...7s_Trophy_Game

There's a good bit of color that was new to me and I hope will be to you all as well. This is my favorite bit, from 1982. Winning pitcher Steve Ratzer, who never got into a regular-season game for the Mets, arrived from Tidewater just six hours before the game. His name was sewn on his uniform so hurriedly that the “A” fell off!
                      lol... That pic is priceless.

Thanx for the compilation and the link, VIBaseball. I definitely learned a lot.
                      Put it in the books.

Comment

Mayor's Trophy Game

lol... That pic is priceless.

Thanx for the compilation and the link, VIBaseball. I definitely learned a lot.
                        Milladrive,my friend,thank you for the Mayor's Trophy's website.
                        I definitely learned a lot too.I also think that Steve Ratzer picture is
                        priceless.That Steve Ratzer game was played when I was a senior in
                        high school infact I graduated high school exactly one month from the
                        day of that game.I have a friend I graduated high school with who is a
                        big Met fan who hated the Yankees with a passion.And his hatred for the
                        Yankees was at an all time high back then.We called him "The Dean Of All
                        Met Fans."I bet you my friend took that Steve Ratzer picture and blown it
                        up poster size and hung it up on his wall back then and called him his "hero."
                        (lol).Here are some of the impressions I got from reading the website.

1968-The "home team" wins for the first time after losing the first 5 games
                        of these contests.
                        1969-The game was played on September 29.I know it was a makeup date
                        from July 7 but I bet you neither team wanted to play on September 29 for
                        different reasons.The Mets were getting ready for the playoffs.The Yankees
                        just wanted to finish the season.I read where Art Shamsky was the star of
                        the game.Frankly,I am surprised that any Mets player of "significance" played
                        in this game for fear of injury before the playoffs.I guess somebody had to play in this game.Also,it's interesting that the original date was July 7 because
                        that's the day before the Mets bottom of the ninth comeback win over the
                        Cubs at Shea as Cubs centerfielder Don Young misplayed two balls and then
                        the night after that was the Tom Seaver "imperfect game" as the perfect game was broken up with one out in the top of the ninth on a single by Cubs
                        centerfielder Jimmy Qualls who was only in the game because Don Young was
                        benched because of his "performance" from the game before as Qualls was the Cubs only baserunner in the "imperfect game".
                        1971-Jim McAndrew and Nolan Ryan combined for a no-hitter for the first
                        7 2/3 innings of the game.
                        1976-On June 14 of that year "my buddy" Jay Kleven had two hits in this
                        exhibition as that got him "the cup of coffee" in the majors as his only two
                        games were 6 days later at Shea and 7 days later after that in Chicago.
                        You may remember reading my previous Jay Kleven posts.
                        1978-Fran Healy's squeeze bunt in the bottom of the 13th drove in Jim
                        Spencer with the winning run.Healy,during the regular season that year
                        was 0 for 1 and 1 strikeout and was eventually cut from the Yankees in
                        May and immediately became one of their broadcasters that year.
                        Healy,somehow managed to be a Mets broadcaster for 22 years from
                        1984-2005 as when SNY came to their existence in 2006 they wisely
                        didn't hire Healy who was arguably one of the worst broadcasters the
                        Mets had ever had.I guess Healy knew somebody back then...wink...wink...
                        (lol).Also,this was the game that Graig Nettles supposedly tried to throw
                        away and Brian Doyle made a game saving play to the disgust of Yankee
                        veterans as I mentioned on an earlier Mayor's Trophy post above.

Also,with Yankees and Giants:
                        1948-Coincidentally,the Yankees and Giants played their Mayor's Trophy
                        game on the same day as the day Babe Ruth died.I can imagine as I read
                        this that Ruth's death overshadowed the game as I know that's an
                        understatement to say the least.
                        1949-It was Joe DiMaggio's first game that year after returning from an
                        injury.Also,I found it interesting that the winning pitcher for the Yankees
                        in these contests in both 1949 and 1950 was a guy by the name of Fred
                        Sanford.I heard that his pitching prowess in these contests didn't translate
                        into post-playing career success as I heard he owned a junkyard some 25
                        years later.(lol).I wondered if Lamont and Aunt Esther attended these games,
                        probably not Aunt Esther.(lol).

Grote said to Koosman:"You don't give up any runs,we'll guarantee you at
                        least a tie."(lol).
                        "You don't give up any runs,we'll guarantee you
                        at least a tie." ~ Grote to Koosman

Comment

Great added highlights, Joe -- some of the same thoughts were occurring to me, esp. about the '69 edition and also Fred Sanford. I looked to see if the pitcher might also have been "Fred G. Sanford" but he wasn't. I can hear "You big dummy!" echoing in my head now...loved that show.

By the way, Steve Ratzer is interviewed in the book "Cup of Coffee" by Rob Trucks. It was there that I confirmed that he got the win in '82, because the press coverage wasn't what it used to be. It got hard to find even line scores there in later years. For example, I couldn't get the pitchers of record for the '78 edition.

Comment

I agree. What made Spring Training, and the Hall of Fame game so cool and exciting was seeing the other league's teams. The All-Star game was another chance to see the other league. Wish they would do away with the interleague. Especially since we get the Yanks and Sox all the time, while the Phillies get Baltimore. While they are at it make the ASG an exhibition again with no bearing on something as trivial as home field in the most important game of the year.
                            Unfortunately it will never happen as the MLB like other leagues is a money grubbing publicity machine.
                            unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
                            unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
                            unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

Thanx much for the added highlights, Joe. I had a feeling your abundant wealth of knowledge would be an asset to this place.

Originally posted by theAmazingMet View Post
                              While they are at it make the ASG an exhibition again with no bearing on something as trivial as home field in the most important game of the year.
                              Very much agreed. Very much.
                              Put it in the books.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X