Jeff Francouer Impatient?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff Francouer Impatient?

I saw today's (7/30/09) box score from the first game of the DH vs the Rockies.

While batting in the 5 spot "Frenchy" went 1 for 4 with a run while only facing 8 pitches.

Wright on the other hand had a 1 for 3 day with 2 rbi (including a SF) and faced 19 pitches.

How do you get a hitter to look at more pitches?

I realize we don't have a lot of options, but in a best case scenario, where do you bat a guy with decent pop but no patience?

They mentioned in the trade that his lack of patience at the plate was a factor in him leaving ATL. But seriously 8 pitches in 4 AB's?

Originally posted by MSUlaxer27 View Post

While batting in the 5 spot "Frenchy" went 1 for 4 with a run while only facing 8 pitches.

Wright on the other hand had a 1 for 3 day with 2 rbi (including a SF) and faced 19 pitches.

I realize we don't have a lot of options, but in a best case scenario, where do you bat a guy with decent pop but no patience?

They mentioned in the trade that his lack of patience at the plate was a factor in him leaving ATL. But seriously 8 pitches in 4 AB's?
    As long as he continues to drive in 15 runs every 13 games, Francoeur is fine with me.
    Last edited by Let's Go Mets!; 07-30-2009, 01:48 PM.
    Let's Go Mets!
    New York Mets fan since 1962

Comment

Francoeur gets paid to DRIVE IN RUNS, not walk!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MSUlaxer27 View Post

Why do you think the Braves gave up on him. He's got one of the lowest career OBP's ever for a full time outfielder.

Comment

I heard he has a new swing now that he's a Met, it seems to be working well. As of now, IMO HoJo helped fix that OBP problem.

Comment

Well, all I can say is we're 9-6 since he joined this crippled team. I know that's only three games over, but it's certainly better than the usual 6-9.

:ooo:
            Put it in the books.

Comment

As others have mentioned Jeff has always had a discipline problem at the plate. It's why the Braves gave up on him. We have to learn to live with it, and as long as he is driving in runs I can live with it.
              unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
              unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
              unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

Originally posted by tomzpc View Post
                Why do you think the Braves gave up on him. He's got one of the lowest career OBP's ever for a full time outfielder.
                Yup. He makes so many freakin outs that even the years that he drove in 100+ runs have very little value.

Comment

Originally posted by majorleads View Post
                  Francoeur gets paid to DRIVE IN RUNS, not walk!!!!!
                  And if he leads off an inning or the bases are empty, then what?
                  "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Originally posted by NYMets523 View Post
                    And if he leads off an inning or the bases are empty, then what?
                    Get an extra base hit? Hit a home run?

I guess you'd still rather have Church so he could walk to lead off the inning right? Just make sure Church isn't up with runners on base because there is a great chance he won't drive them in!!

But where Church hits in the lineup, he will have the most RBI chances, and you want your best RBI guys swinging the bat, not walking and leaving it up to the next guy.

And I don't give a sh*t what Francoeur's OBP is, just as long as he drives in the runs! I looked a couple of days ago and Francoeur only had 3 runs scored since he became a Met. All 3 of the runs were scored on HR's he hit! That means nobody behind him is driving him home when he gets on base. (He's been on base a lot since he came here) And thats why you want him swinging the bat! DUH!

Comment

I saw his OBP was 20 points higher than his average. That's awful. Pitchers know he will swing first pitch fastball, so a lot throw him a dead fish on the outside part of the plate and he'll ground out or flyout. Garciaparra was a big time first pitch swinger, but he was a much better hitter than Francoeur in his prime.
                      Baseball Happenings
                      - Linking baseball's past, present and future.
                      http://baseballhappenings.blogspot.com

Comment

Has he drawn a walk yet for you guys? :ooo: Or is it just that one IBB? :o

Comment

Originally posted by Joltin' Joe View Post
                          Has he drawn a walk yet for you guys? :ooo: Or is it just that one IBB? :o
                          No, but did you know that he has 17 RBI's since becoming a Met?

Comment

No, but did you know that he has 17 RBI's since becoming a Met?
                            Yes I know. I know a lot of Met fans as I live in CT.

Comment

Get an extra base hit? Hit a home run?
                              But a base hit with no one on doesn't drive in runs. Therefore Francoeur isn't earning his paycheck according to you.

I guess you'd still rather have Church so he could walk to lead off the inning right? Just make sure Church isn't up with runners on base because there is a great chance he won't drive them in!!
                              Yeah, because Francoeur drives in a run every time he comes to bat....

But where Church hits in the lineup, he will have the most RBI chances, and you want your best RBI guys swinging the bat, not walking and leaving it up to the next guy.
                              What makes a guy an "RBI guy"?

And I don't give a sh*t what Francoeur's OBP is
                              At least you're admitting you're closed-minded.

just as long as he drives in the runs! I looked a couple of days ago and Francoeur only had 3 runs scored since he became a Met. All 3 of the runs were scored on HR's he hit! That means nobody behind him is driving him home when he gets on base. (He's been on base a lot since he came here) And thats why you want him swinging the bat! DUH!
                              You're making it sound like a guy who walks is passing the buck to the guy behind him when that couldn't be further from the truth. Guys who walk can recognize balls and strikes and that is a huge part of hitting. You cannot be a good hitter if you don't recognize balls from strikes. You're not always going to get a pitch to hit every at-bat and you're not going to get pitched to very at bat.

There's a reason why your line of thinking went extinct in baseball.
                              Last edited by NYMets523; 07-31-2009, 09:43 AM.
                              "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X