• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beltran participates in batting practice

Link:
    http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/news/art...=.jsp&c_id=nym

NEW YORK --
    The most interested spectator of Saturday's pregame proceedings was Mets manager Jerry Manuel, who has grown understandably tired of filling out broken lineup cards with missing pieces. And so Manuel watched with crossed fingers as Carlos Beltran took his first hacks of batting practice since landing on the disabled list in June.

"When I see a guy actually on the field, doing some baseball activities," Manuel said, "it gives me some comfort that we'll get him back soon."

Beltran's assessment earlier this week was that he would return in roughly two and a half weeks, and Manuel -- a self-professed "spiritual man" -- said Saturday that he agreed. But unless Beltran can continue to make progress as he did earlier that afternoon, the Mets will remain unsure.

Beltran, who spent more than an hour after his batting practice session in a restricted section of the Citi Field clubhouse, was not available to provide a self-assessment of his Saturday session. He walked with a noticeable limp, but swung without restraint, drilling home runs over the wall from both sides of the plate.

"In that particular setting, obviously he looked very good," Manuel said. "He's one of the top players in the game and I don't think right now, in that setting, he's far removed from at least that part of it."

What Beltran is removed from is a full range of pain-free motion. On the disabled list since June 22 with a bone bruise in his right knee, Beltran remains unable to play the outfield or run the bases without pain -- and until he improves, he will remain inactive.

Still, for Beltran, Saturday was a day of progress. He has seemingly leap-frogged Jose Reyes as the injured Mets player closest to returning -- discounting Gary Sheffield, who is due back Sunday. And Beltran would provide a significant boost to a team very much lacking in power. Although Beltran has missed more than a month due to injury, his eight home runs still ranks second on the team -- two behind Sheffield.

"As a hitter, I don't think it would take long for him," Manuel said. "I think it's a matter of how much pain he can withstand on that knee when he gets in motion. That's the biggest issue."
    Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

Beltran should be shut down, period.

Comment

Originally posted by tomzpc View Post
      Beltran should be shut down, period.
      Just because the guy is hurt he should be shut down? Forget that. Have him rehab and sporadically play him.

Comment

Originally posted by AutographCollector View Post
        Just because the guy is hurt he should be shut down? Forget that. Have him rehab and sporadically play him.
        He was told that rest was the best thing for his deep bone bruise. I just have a bad feeling that he wants to come back and play because he plans to have microfracture in the offseason which would mean that he'd miss all of 2010. Maybe by not playing the extra rest would alleviate the pain and change his thinking.

Maybe I'm way off. But what possible benefit is there to have him come back? Maybe we'll finish 3rd in the East instead of 4th?

Comment

He was told that rest was the best thing for his deep bone bruise. I just have a bad feeling that he wants to come back and play because he plans to have microfracture in the offseason which would mean that he'd miss all of 2010. Maybe by not playing the extra rest would alleviate the pain and change his thinking.

Maybe I'm way off. But what possible benefit is there to have him come back? Maybe we'll finish 3rd in the East instead of 4th?
          Tom

I agree that it is best for everyone to shut Beltran down for the year. He will make no difference as fas as the wild card goes.

From the Mets point of view, if Beltran came back and reinjured himself, they may not have him in 2010. Fom his point of view, why would he risk an injury in September that could shelve him for 2010.

Even if the Mets and Beltran decided it was best to part ways in 2010 (there is an IF in there), having a healthy Beltran helps both sides in trying to do a deal.

I am not advocating trading Beltran at all, but I would not be shocked if he does get dealt. The Mets may have some cash flow problems in 2010.

Comment

Yeah, your right. Better to have him back 110% than only 90%. Good call.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X