This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009/10 Mets Off-Season Thread

Welp, it's time for yet another long off-season. All off-seasons are long, and we soon realize that not playing at all is often more difficult than losing 6 of 10. I'm sure many of us are already looking forward to Spring Training and Opening Day.

This is the official 2009/10 off-season thread to talk Mets baseball!

Here's to hoping we make some of the right moves this autumn and winter, that our injured core recuperates properly to good health, and that next year will be a big rebound from what I believe to be a mere bump in the road.

:gt
    Put it in the books.

Let's sticky this and dump the season and recap '09 threads.

If they go after Nick Johnson I will shoot myself. The biggest question and story this off season is the Reyes rehab. There's an un-easy vibe in the air that we may see a lesser Jose in 2010.

I don't think it's wise to wave Figgy around as a good choice for 4 or 5. Yesterdays game was a gem and a feel good Cindafella story but it will be the pinacle of his career. The team needs serious, solid, inning eaters. It's all about pitching, pitching and more pitching.

Comment

Originally posted by whoisonit View Post
      Let's sticky this and dump the season and recap '09 threads.
      [Deleted by author.]

Edit: Done.
      Last edited by milladrive; 10-05-2009, 11:13 AM.
      Put it in the books.

Comment

Figgy was nice but after Murphy I don'ty think I will get all that excited over 1-2 months late in the year and base the next year's roster on it. SP (we have a load of 4-5 types), LF and then 1B/C are concerns in addition to a middle IF that won't kill the team if we need 300 AB out of him. A power bat preferably lefty.

Comment

Ho Hum, Great Move, and Interesting ....

The first moves of the off-season have been made. The first is far from the shake up predicted, the second is awesome and the third is just a rumor, but a great one;

Coaches:
          http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/news/art...=.jsp&c_id=nym
          Alicea - fired outright
          Alomar - off the ML team, staying with the organization.
          That's it ? Puts Manuel in a strong position, which is important if they're keeping him, which they are of course.

Wally Backman
          http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...an/index.html#
          YES, THE METS ARE GIVING WALLY A JOB ! Is this a minor league trial run ? Have my prays been answered ? Could 2011 see ... omg I have chills ... please God yes, yes ... i do believe pigs can fly ...

Kevin Towers and JP Ricciardi
          Miniya is talking to them about joining the front office. I like it. I like it a lot. It's ballsy as heck too. Make it happen Omar.

Comment

Wally has that fire that I like. If things turn out bad by May of 2010,maybe he'll be put as manager. I only think that it will happen if he's on the team though,not at AAA.

Comment

That's if Wally doesn't get himself canned before Manuel.

I like them talking to Towers.

Comment

Originally posted by metfan13 View Post

That's true. I hope things stay cool with him.

I love that they are talking to Towers too. He's a good baseball mind. I think he can do a good job,if he just had more to work with. If he does come on board,it looks so obvious he would be in line to take over omar's job.

Comment

Originally posted by metfan13 View Post
                  And honestly, if I were to place a bet, I'd say the odds are not all that extreme of that happening, knowing Wally's often volatile demeanor.

Include me in the crowd of fans who agree wit hthat statement, too. While we know Omar will be the GM for at least another year, having Towers in the organization can't be a bad thing for potential future placement, not to mention he and Omar corroborating on their thoughts. I hope the Mets hire Towers in some influential capacity.
                  Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by whoisonit View Post
                    Wally Backman
                    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...an/index.html#
                    YES, THE METS ARE GIVING WALLY A JOB ! Is this a minor league trial run ? Have my prays been answered ? Could 2011 see ... omg I have chills ... please God yes, yes ... i do believe pigs can fly ...
                    Too much baggage.

Kevin Towers and JP Ricciardi
                    Miniya is talking to them about joining the front office. I like it. I like it a lot. It's ballsy as heck too. Make it happen Omar.
                    Hopefully he's offering Towers his job.
                    "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Seems Shines was canned as well. I think I would have held on to him in some capacity just for his name alone. Heh.
                      Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
                        Seems Shines was canned as well. I think I would have held on to him in some capacity just for his name alone. Heh.
                        I think they're keeping Shines and making him 1st base coach or Bench Coach.

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
                          I heard he's staying with the ML club, possibly as bench coach. I have no problem with it. Shines is a Manuel pick and his friend. To have fired Manuels hand picked coach would have only reinforced the notion that Manuel has a tenuous hold on the job. That's not going to help the situation. There was way too much of emasculating the manager when Valentine was here.

And yes, Razor Shines is an all-time great name and I like having him around just for that.
                          He's just a coach, firing him isn't going to add 10 in the W column.

Comment

Madoff and the Mets

So now that this has come out, what is the excuse for cutting payroll next year?

http://www.newsday.com/business/mets...stee-1.1502744
                            FORMERLY Section 522 Row 2; Mezz Reserved Row E

Comment

Originally posted by Shea1012 View Post
                              So now that this has come out, what is the excuse for cutting payroll next year?

http://www.newsday.com/business/mets...stee-1.1502744
                              Other then internet rumors and grumbling, there is no reason to believe they ARE cutting payroll. In fact, on yesterday's wfan interview, Minya specifically said, in response to a specific question on such, they do NOT plan to cut payroll and ownership has the same financial commitment to fielding the best team possible as when he took the job. If you have reports stating otherwise, please link.

I did find this interesting;
                              "The role of the Mets Limited Partnership, which is registered in Delaware, ..."
                              What is the role of 'Mets Limited Partnership' ? Why is any part, and just how much, of the money WE, (NY taxpayers) spend at Citi, being hidden in Delaware ? I want to know more.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X