How/Why are you a Met fan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MSUlaxer27 View Post
    Maybe this has been in another thread, if so bump that one and kill this one.

After a revelation (at least to me) of sorts from another poster, I thought it might be a good idea to outline how each of us became Met fans and better yet why we remained Met fans.
    Because I like to endure cruel and unusual punishment? In actuality my first Mets game 5/24/1970 doubleheader vs. Cubs I think. Mets win one game 3-1, and lose the other game 3-1. Ironically 5/24/96 my oldest son is born. Became a Mets fan, and haven't lost my desire to always "wait until next year". Favorite Mets moment 2001 Piazza's homer vs. Atlanta. Interestingly I went to Citi Field last Sunday 10/4, and absolutely loved what the Mets created. One real funny story about Shea Stadium. If your old enough to remember Shea in the 1970's they had these orange, and blue metal squares suspended from the cables around the openings of the outside of the stadium. One of my closest friends told me his brother when he was really little used to call those squares kindergarten papers, I guess to him they were similar to construction paper. Anyway go Mets. :gt
    sigpic
    LETS GO METS !!!

Comment

I love this thread more and more with every post.

Comment

For me the Murcer Yankees were just uninteresting to my little kid mind whereas the Mets had Tom Seaver, Rusty Staub, Cleon Jones, and perhaps most important, Willie Mays. Then along came 1973 and the deal was sealed.

Comment

On the day Roger Maris hit his 61st home run (I had just turned 7), I got excited by the coverage of this on TV. I jumped up and down and ran to tell my mother the exciting news that Roger Maris had broken Babe Ruth's home run record. When my father came home that evening, my mother and father sat me down and told me that in our family we didn't get excited by the Yankees. My parents explained that they had been fans of the Brooklyn Dodgers, a team that had moved to California. They told me that in 1962 there would be a new New York baseball team I could root for, a team that would be called The New York Mets. I spent the winter of 1962 learning everything I could about baseball. When the Mets played their first game in April, 1962, I was ready for them. They have been with me every day ever since.
          sigpic Please check out my book, Mets Fan
          Please check out my blog, Mets Fan Blog
          Read about my new book The Last Days of Shea

Comment

What a great thready. Like many of you, I was drawn towards the Mets mainly because my father was and still is a Mets' fan. My father grew up in the Bronx, rooting for the glory teams of the 1950's and 1960's Yankees. In 1962, a new team came to New York and my father began to follow them and root for them. When George Steinbrenner bought the Yankees, my father swore off the Yankees and turned his full attention to the Mets.

I grew up in Connecticut, where everyone is either a Yankees' fan or a Red Sox fan. In the 1980's, my coming of age, the Red Sox didn't interest me and I couldn't stand listening to the Yankees' TV announcers (Phil Rizzuto particularly). I also hated the Money Store commercials.

It was during this time that the Mets were starting to go from cellar dwellers to upstarts. I was excited about the team that had players like Dwight Gooden, Darryl Strawberry, Len Dykstra, Wally Backman, and the rest of the mid-1980's teams. Then came 1986 and that sealed the deal. I love rooting for the underdogs, and rooting for the Mets has filled that void.

Comment

Originally posted by metsfanbook View Post
              When my father came home that evening, my mother and father sat me down and told me that in our family we didn't get excited by the Yankees.
              HAHAHA ... HAHAHA

This may be one of my favorite lines on BBF ever.

HAHAHA

Comment

Originally posted by Mary Ellen View Post
                I still use Colgate toothpaste because Mighty Mouse told me to when I was a kid. Either I am very impressionable or some things just stick.
                Hah! This made me LOL Mary Ellen.

Comment

In all honesty I hardly ever remember NOT being a Mets fan. My first memory is completely out of left field. Years ago(shesus, I can't believe I'm already at THAT stage of my life) either ABC or NBC used to air a 'Celebrity/All-Star Softball Game' during the off season. I remember it was the American League vs. the National League and my dad asking me who I was rooting for. As a youngin' felt that the American League had to be the way to go. Then similar to Dana my dad explained to me that the team 'we' root for is in the National League...and I guess the decision was made right then and there.

In 1986 I was 9 years old, right on the verge of 10. I have several distinct memories that really were the catalyst for my love of sports, and my obsession with the Mets. I'm not sure how he got the tickets but one of the first big games I ever went to was Game 4 of the NLCS. Mike Scott shut us the hell down...(even though he cheated).

I remember runnnnnnning off the school bus and turning on Game 6 of the NLCS somewhere near the 9th. It was the first time I had that feeling where it felt like my head was going to explode, and as much as I hated it...I freaking loved it. To this day I only ONLY get that feeling when the Mets are in a pressure situation in a big game....and to this day I hate it....and I freaking love it.

My best story which is my lifes biggest regret, but a great story and something that bonds my dad and I is the 'Game 1 or Game 6 dilemma'. My dads employee at the time had box seats, 1st baseline, maybe 15-18 rows up. Normally I would have to ask, but with this crew I know immediately it will be understood. Remember the 'WALLLLLLLLLLLLLY' crew with the huge fold out sign? Maybe 3 rows from them. Anyway my dad comes home one day and says with a coy smile, "So, what game of the World Series do you wanna go to?" When I think about it I still get the same feeling of "No freaking WAY!!!". We were given the option of Game 1 or Game 6. At the time the decision was easy. Take the guaranteed game. See the pomp and circumstance of a Game 1 of the World Series. The end result was I saw a ground ball go through Tim Teufel's legs, and whoever got Game 6 saw the greatest baseball game ever played. I was old enough though to command my brain to remember as much as possible. Probably because my dad made it abuntently clear that "...that you are very very lucky, and you never know when you'll have a chance to see this again." If only he knew...

Anyway, I remember walking up to Shea with the tickets in my hand and being told to hide them. I remember walking in. I remember the teams lining the base paths and the National Anthem, and I most definitely remember the sound of the crowd when Teufel muffed it.

The irony is that my favorite memory of all is watching Game 6 in my parents room, with my dad and I on the edge of his bed. I remember him saying, "Well, I guess thats it." What happened next is the memory I'll take of my dad when he's no longer here. I still can remember us jumping up and down on my parents bed like we were both 10 years old with my mom just looking up at us like we were nut jobs. The next night was the last night we were champs.

Let's just say, that was that...
                  Last edited by Saltzy23; 10-13-2009, 09:43 AM.

Comment

I seem to be the youngest vintage Mets fan to reply so far.

I was born in the South Bronx and moved to NE Flushing when I was about 6 years old, back in 1976. I was by default a Yankees fan; my first real awareness of baseball being of the 1976-78 Reggie Jackson Yankees, especially in the context of being the New Kid to the neighborhood and being originally from the Bronx. But my parents were not sports fans and I never so much as watched a game on TV, just heard about the team on TV in the news and in commercials.

I played informal baseball a fair amount as a kid (no Little League) and read several books about baseball records and HOF players from books at the library, which were full of Yankees of course, and I still remember (with some shame now that I'm a Mets fan) being taken to Shea Stadium as part of a summer day camp trip on year, around 1978 or 1979, and being given a Mets cap that I wore around for a week or so before discovering it wasn't a Yankees cap. I literally did not know that there WAS another NY baseball team, and figured the blue/orange color of the hat was just some alternate color thing (little did I know that 20 years later, Yankees hats in particular would indeed be available in every color scheme imaginable, including orange and blue).

I went to high school in the city in the mid-1980s, and took a nearly 90-minute bus and train commute to do so each way. I went past Shea Stadium on the 7 train all the time, and didn't care a bit. I was not only "not a sports fan", I was ACTIVELY not a sports fan; if sports coverage came on the TV I'd change the channel. For a long time my only memory of Game 6 of the 1986 World Series was being amused that some guy parachuted out of an airplane onto the field, in an "only in NY" kind of way; the import of the Mookie/Buckner comeback victory completely failed to register until years later.

Then, in 1992, a college roommate from Chicago talked so much trash about the Bulls vs. the Knicks during the NBA playoffs that I found myself rooting for the Knicks just to see him get shut up (which didn't happen). That summer I also found that my parents, who had never been sports fans in my life until then, somehow had also become Knicks fans, completely independently. (I still don't know how or why.) And so I became a sports fan for the first time. I followed every game, I knew all the players, I learned the game lingo, I got into bad moods following close or outrageous losses. I hyperventilated for the entire fourth quarter of their 1994 NBA Finals loss to the Rockets and felt like a pet had died when they lost. Huh. So this is what it's like...

In 1996, I watched the World Series with my best friend (who's a huge and lifelong Yankees fan), who got literally teary-eyed when they won. I helped him get drunk to celebrate, but I didn't feel a thing, really, except a general New York pride in the victory. But having watched a baseball game for the first time brought back memories of playing baseball as a kid, and a certain amount of sports fan empathy bled over from my newfound love of the Knicks to wanting to see a baseball team I was invested in emotionally do well.

So, I tried being a bandwagon Yankees fan. That was easy in the offseason, the winter of 1996-97, as it seemed everybody was a fan, bandwagon or not. But then two things happened:

#1 - My friend (the Yankee fan) started a Rotisserie baseball league and convinced me to join. There were only 6 people in it, so to keep it small (and to avoid the DH issue), he set it up to be not just an NL-only league, but an NL East only league.

#2 - When the 1997 baseball season began in the spring, I started to watch and listen to Yankees games on the TV and radio. And I could not stand it! Blargh! Especially listening to John Sterling on the radio. His delivery and shtick oozed pomposity and arrogance. Not just about the team, but routinely getting stuff wrong and just ignoring it. "Fly ball hit to deeeeep right field! It is high! It is far! It iiiiss.... Caught at the warning track!" Or: "Runners on 2nd and 3rd with 2 out, a hit will plate two. Here's the pitch, Annnnd... A ground ball, it's a sharp base hit into right field, [the right fielder] picks up the ball and throws it in and they hold [X] at third, one run has scored." So why do you always say "a hit will plate two" in this situation? EVERY TIME? YOU BLATHERING IDIOT!

Between factors #1 and #2, I found myself watching more and more Mets games. And even though the team was not as good on the field, there was something there that reminded me of why I fell in love with the Knicks of the early 1990s: some of the biggest contributors were overachieving, "who the heck is this? / what the heck was that?" types of players and plays. I loved listening to Bob Murphy, Gary Cohen and Howie Rose on the air. Seeing my old home neighborhood on TV broadcasts, where I could pick out landmarks in the background (the big U-Haul sign, the 7 train station), reinforced the sense that yes, with this team... I could be at home.

Then I actually did "go home again" by buying a house 10 blocks from where I grew up in Flushing back in 1999.
                    Last edited by robardin; 10-13-2009, 10:04 AM.
                    «Telle est la vie des hommes. Quelques joies, très vite effacées par d’inoubliables chagrins. Il n'est pas nécessaire de le dire aux enfants...» (Marcel Pagnol)

Comment

Originally posted by whoisonit View Post
                      I love this thread more and more with every post.
                      Me too.
                      Put it in the books.

Comment

In case anybody here hasn't seen it, here is a link to a piece I've actually written called "Mets Fan: How and Why I Became and Remain a Mets Fan." It was originally published in Newsday with the awful title of "If You Prick a Mets Fan, He Bleeds Orange and Blue" on August 28, 2005. The Newsday article was then re-printed as the first essay in my first Mets book, Mets Fan.

Comment

Originally posted by metsfanbook View Post
                          In case anybody here hasn't seen it, here is a link to a piece I've actually written called "Mets Fan: How and Why I Became and Remain a Mets Fan."
                          Well done! You put into words what I hadn't realized I felt. For example, why after a disastrous year in overpriced seats that I bought for a full season for the first time, sight unseen, and then decided I didn't like the view from the location... And then had to literally give away my tickets in September, or sit to watch a listless team go through the motions... I'm still waiting for word on next year's seating and pricing scheme so I can buy a different plan, maybe even another full season's plan.

Mets fans tend to think of the Mets as a fundamentally bad team that, every once in a while, briefly and magnificently rises up to play against type. When the Mets win, the fans feel as if they themselves have willed the team forward. ...

Yankees fans do not feel responsible for what the Yankees do. But Mets fans feel that they create the atmosphere that allows miracles to happen. Mets fans live to be a part of miracles. And fans who live for miracles don't need the odds on their side. Mets fans don’t need or even ask for triumph. They want astonished fun, and the mystical sense of power that a Yankees fan can't know. They want the pleasure of the unexpected, even of the undeserved.

This is what has hooked us. This is what we long for. This is why, however much we hate them at times, we love to love this team.
                          So very true! My eyes glaze over when Yankee fan friends recount their team's litany of historic feats and victories. Impressive, yes, but they don't move me the way the "did I just see ---?!" moments like
                          • Mike Piazza coming to the plate in an elimination game, the last game of 1999, with the score tied and the bases loaded in the bottom of the 9th... And the winning run comes in on a wild pitch(!).
                          • The 10-run 8th inning to come back from down 8-1 vs. their nemesis Atlanta Braves in 2000 (on Fireworks Night no less!)
                          • Bobby Jones (who? him?!) throwing a 1-hitter against the Giants in the 2000 NLDS
                          • Dae-Sung Koo, 35-year-old Korean lefty rookie relief pitcher who hadn't had a hit since high school, slamming a double off of Randy Johnson and then scoring from second on a sacrifice bunt
                          • Endy Chavez's over the wall catch in Game 7 of the 2006 NLCS

I was at Shea Stadium for all of these moments and they are treasured memories. I wish I had more of the post-season ones though... I really, really felt the magic when Endy made The Catch, and it was inconceivable that the Mets would not then go on to win that game and go to the World Series. *sigh*

The hardest part is that I've only been a fan since 1997 or so. I ignored the team (and all of baseball) through the 1980s and wasn't even alive for '69!
                          Last edited by robardin; 10-15-2009, 07:41 AM. Reason: Ooops, the Mets faced the Giants in the 2000 NLDS not NLCS
                          «Telle est la vie des hommes. Quelques joies, très vite effacées par d’inoubliables chagrins. Il n'est pas nécessaire de le dire aux enfants...» (Marcel Pagnol)

Comment

Rob,

Thank you! And that's quite a list of great Mets moments for someone who has only been following the team since 1997. I was at the Piazza-Melvin Mora moment. 1999 was probably the most characteristic Mets season ever, with so many moments of soul-filling triumph and abject collapse, all mixed together in an incredibly exciting season. I was at Game 6 of the 2006 NLCS but not game 7. I saw a better game, but you, my friend, were THERE.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X