Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
    And today's the anniversary of Game 7.

I had tickets for Game 7. In fact seeing the Mets win Game 7 of a World Series at Shea was my biggest ambition as a sports fan. It seemed unlikely for about half an inning after the Dave Henderson home run. I doubt anyone could have scripted Game 6 any better. I think I posted a bit about my subjective experience earlier in this thread.

Game 7 almost felt like a cast party for that team and season - and post-season - which was the best in history. I doubt anyone there felt the Mets were going to lose, though it was a close and good game. I believe Game 7 remains the highest rated World Series game ever in terms of viewership. The stands were shaking, especially when the whole stadium was chanting "Cal-vin, Cal-vin". No wonder Schiraldi looked so scared. I thought Upper Deck might collapse. Then Knight homered and everyone erupted. It was scary and magnificent. That experience of being at the ballpark will never be surpassed. It can't be. "Citi" Field is so lacking in terms of being a vessel for fan energy.

When Orosco threw his glove in the air for the last time that post-season was probably the peak of the entire post-Payson era. Everyone believed the great baseball wouldn't end there. The team was young and deep. The Championships would continue indefinitely. Part of the great feeling that season left us with was the assumption the Mets would be a great franchise from that point on. It was one aspect of the future that seemed certain. The past 27 years of baseball seem so unreal.
    Good summation of what it felt like on October 27th 1986. It is amazing that we haven't had that feeling in 27 years, and actually nothing has come close.

Going into 1987 we were the champs, and I felt (as we all did) there was nothing that was going to stop us from another WS win. Well....Gooden going to rehab....a horrific collision between Mookie and Dykstra, a pop up that hit a bird and cost us a game, and the beat went on. Even with all that they had a chance - the team was that good.... UNTIL....the worst moment of my Met fandom.....and its not even close... Pendleton's homer off of McDowell was by far....by miles the worst moment of being a Met fan. I felt like I was kicked in the stomach.

In 11 months I had the highest of highs and lowest of lows.

Comment

• I was at Game 7 of the 1986 WS also.And I also felt in 1987 that there was nothing that was going to stop us from another
      WS win.Ironically enough that horrific collision between Mookie and Dykstra was during the same game as Gooden's first start back from rehab.For me the Pendleton home run off McDowell was the second worst moment for me being a Met fan.
      The worst moment for me being a Met fan was the Scioscia home run off Gooden in Game 4 of the 1988 NLCS.
      "You don't give up any runs,we'll guarantee you
      at least a tie." ~ Grote to Koosman

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Rigatoni View Post
        I was at Game 7 of the 1986 WS also.And I also felt in 1987 that there was nothing that was going to stop us from another
        WS win.Ironically enough that horrific collision between Mookie and Dykstra was during the same game as Gooden's first start back from rehab.For me the Pendleton home run off McDowell was the second worst moment for me being a Met fan.
        The worst moment for me being a Met fan was the Scioscia home run off Gooden in Game 4 of the 1988 NLCS.
        Most of the worst moments happened out of our sight. Grant winning his power struggles in the late 1960s to early 1970s and driving Whitey Herzog out of the organization, Fred Wilpon inserting the contractual clause that enabled him to force Doubleday to sell him half the franchise... Certain trades also bothered me more than any on-field setbacks. Pendleton or Scoscia, both were limited to the season they happened; The Midnight Massacre and Dykstra/McDowell for Samuel had an impact that would last for years.

On the field the breaks have gone both ways. Off the field the Mets and Mets fans have gotten a raw deal.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

I was at Game 7 of the 1986 WS also.And I also felt in 1987 that there was nothing that was going to stop us from another
          Pendleton HR in 1987 was tough, but Scioscia in '88 was playoffs...and us fans at Shea were yelling 'take him out' right before he launched that shot. Still, that game had the bases loaded and one out and Jesse (yes, 1986 hero Jesse) coming in to get Strawberry to pop up ! And then, like a scene from a bad movie, here comes Orel to get the last out as McReynolds flied out to short center.

Didn't Willie Randolph hit a big HR in 1989 (??) to put that season on the wrong track?

And let's not forget Kenny Rogers WALKING in the winning run in the 1999 playoffs ! I would have preferred that he give up a 500 ft HR.:melting:

Comment

• Originally posted by mandrake View Post
            Pendleton HR in 1987 was tough, but Scioscia in '88 was playoffs...and us fans at Shea were yelling 'take him out' right before he launched that shot. Still, that game had the bases loaded and one out and Jesse (yes, 1986 hero Jesse) coming in to get Strawberry to pop up ! And then, like a scene from a bad movie, here comes Orel to get the last out as McReynolds flied out to short center.

Didn't Willie Randolph hit a big HR in 1989 (??) to put that season on the wrong track?

And let's not forget Kenny Rogers WALKING in the winning run in the 1999 playoffs ! I would have preferred that he give up a 500 ft HR.:melting:
            Mandrake,First,You mentioned you got your Game 7 ticket framed and that's great.I forgot to mention on my last post on
            this thread for what it's worth that I had Ray Knight sign my Game 7 ticket at an autograph signing.He signed it really nice
            in blue Sharpie Ray Knight#22 1986 World Series MVP.

Funny you should mention the Willie Randolph home run in 1989 to put that season on the wrong track.That was my third worst moment for me being a Met fan.VI Baseball and I have talked about this game in the Where Are They Now thread.
            On Sunday August 20,1989 Willie Randolph hit a three-run homer off Don Aase with two outs in the top of the ninth to give the Dodgers a 4-3 lead in a game they would eventually win 5-4.The Dodgers pulled a 1986 Mets Game 6 World Series comeback being down by two runs with no on and two outs and down to their last out.The Mets got the first two guys out and the Dodgers got the next two guys on base before Randolph hit his three-run homer.I strongly believe that this game was the turning point of the 1989 season for the Mets.
            "You don't give up any runs,we'll guarantee you
            at least a tie." ~ Grote to Koosman

Comment

Mandrake,First,You mentioned you got your Game 7 ticket framed and that's great.I forgot to mention on my last post on
              this thread for what it's worth that I had Ray Knight sign my Game 7 ticket at an autograph signing.He signed it really nice
              in blue Sharpie Ray Knight#22 1986 World Series MVP.

Funny you should mention the Willie Randolph home run in 1989 to put that season on the wrong track.That was my third worst moment for me being a Met fan.VI Baseball and I have talked about this game in the Where Are They Now thread.
              On Sunday August 20,1989 Willie Randolph hit a three-run homer off Don Aase with two outs in the top of the ninth to give the Dodgers a 4-3 lead in a game they would eventually win 5-4.The Dodgers pulled a 1986 Mets Game 6 World Series comeback being down by two runs with no on and two outs and down to their last out.The Mets got the first two guys out and the Dodgers got the next two guys on base before Randolph hit his three-run homer.I strongly believe that this game was the turning point of the 1989 season for the Mets.
              For the record, I have GAME 6 !!

Comment

• Tom Seaver's return to Shea Stadium after being traded to the Reds in 1977.

Comment

For some reason that Pendleton homer hurt me more than the Scioscia homer. Don't ask me why. I know the Scioscia homer was a playoff game, but that Pendleton homer just kills me to this day.

I think because - despite the fact the Mets had a myriad of things go against them the were in it and came back in 1987 to have a good shot at catching the HATED Cardinals at that time. Anyone remember being called "pond-scum" in 1985?????? Think about that game - the Cards came into Shea up a couple of games with their best pitcher John Tudor pitching who get the Mets a lot of trouble, but the Mets hit him pretty good...including a homer from my main guy - Strawberry. The Mets were cruising...until Willie McGee bunted and Ron Darling (who was pitching a great game) hurt his thumb and had to leave. The Cards chipped away until McDowell threw a pitch that was 6 inches off the ground and Pendleton hit out to dead center. I can still see Mookie going back as I was praying he caught it. The air came out of the Met season at that point. Gooden got beat up the next day and that was all she wrote. It was September 10th with a couple of weeks left, but the Mets never recovered from that game.

Funny how certain games just get etched into your mind.
                  Last edited by Paulypal; 10-28-2013, 04:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                    For some reason that Pendleton homer hurt me more than the Scioscia homer. Don't ask me why. I know the Scioscia homer was a playoff game, but that Pendleton homer just kills me to this day.

I think because - despite the fact the Mets had a myriad of things go against them the were in it and came back in 1987 to have a good shot at catching the HATED Cardinals at that time. Anyone remember being called "pond-scum" in 1985?????? Think about that game - the Cards came into Shea up a couple of games with their best pitcher John Tudor pitching who get the Mets a lot of trouble, but the Mets hit him pretty good...including a homer from my main guy - Strawberry. The Mets were cruising...until Willie McGee bunted and Ron Darling (who was pitching a great game) hurt his thumb and had to leave. The Cards chipped away until McDowell threw a pitch that was 6 inches off the ground and Pendleton hit out to dead center. I can still see Mookie going back as I was praying he caught it. The air came out of the Met season at that point. Gooden got beat up the next day and that was all she wrote. It was September 10th with a couple of weeks left, but the Mets never recovered from that game.

Funny how certain games just get etched into your mind.
                    I was at Shea that night (September 11) and you've never heard a crowd of 50,000-plus deflated so quickly.
                    I remember a couple of years ago reading something in Darling's book that explained a little mystery for me. After that bunt by Coleman broke up the no-hitter (it was Vince rather than McGee), Darling 's thumb injury meant that he could never grip his curve ball effectively again -- and he had a good one. He went to the splitter after that and I don't think he was the same pitcher.

Comment

• I think I could use some help from my fellow Met fans.

My best childhood friend (who turns 50 today) and I have vivid happy memories of standing in the rain and appearing on TV during the rain delay. In fact, a still shot of us appeared on WOR as they went to commercial.

We think it was against Houston, and we think Nolan Ryan was their starter.

We're a bit more confident (but not certain) that the score was 1-0 when the delay took place.

What we are certain of is that the game was at Shea sometime in 1979, 1980, or 1981. We're also certain the rain delay took place in the top of the fifth inning. The delay was about 90 minutes, after which time they resumed and finished the game.

But we can't seem to pin down the exact game. If someone here can help with their rain-delay memories, we can hopefully pin down what game it was.
                      Put it in the books.

Comment

• Originally posted by milladrive View Post
                        I think I could use some help from my fellow Met fans.

My best childhood friend (who turns 50 today) and I have vivid happy memories of standing in the rain and appearing on TV during the rain delay. In fact, a still shot of us appeared on WOR as they went to commercial.

We're a bit more confident (but not certain) that the score was 1-0 when the delay took place.

What we are certain of is that the game was at Shea sometime in 1979, 1980, or 1981. We're also certain the rain delay took place in the top of the fifth inning. The delay was about 90 minutes, after which time they resumed and finished the game.

But we can't seem to pin down the exact game. If someone here can help with their rain-delay memories, we can hopefully pin down what game it was.
                        Welcome back!

How have you been?

All you need to do is check out Nolan Ryan's game log at Shea and cross reference it with weather reports. It can't be more than 10 possible games over three years.

In other news Tom Glavine shared his favorite Mets memory:

http://metsblog.com/metsblog/tom-gla...ories-of-mets/

Tom Glavine had fun, has fond memories of Mets
                        January 9th, 2014 6:13 am

Tom Glavine, who was elected to the Hall of Fame on Wednesday, said his time with the Mets was ‘fun.’

“It was a fun five years, albeit a tough five years at times for my family with me being gone,” Glavine said (ESPN, Jan 8). “It was a great experience being in New York and playing in New York. It’s an experience, I think, every player should have.”

Glavine was 61-56 with a 3.97 ERA in 164 starts during his time with the Mets, which comprised roughly 20 percent of his career.

“I’ll always have fond memories for the Mets organization for the opportunity, but also because I won my 300th game in their uniform. That’s something I certainly will never forget,” he said. “By and large it was a very fun, positive experience for me. I certainly had some down moments as well. But I’d like to think I was a part of them kind of turning the corner and helping get their organization back on track, as evidenced by the playoff appearance in 2007.”

Just Tommy being Tommy...

Comment

• Originally posted by milladrive View Post
                          I think I could use some help from my fellow Met fans.

Milla I believe the only game Ryan pitched at Shea was in 1981. In 79 he was still with the Angels & in 1980 he didnt face the Mets.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...98108250.shtml

Comment

• Quality starts for Mets pitchers since 2003:

Tom Glavine 86
                            Steve Trachsel 48
                            Pedro Martinez 43
                            Al Leiter 40

From 2004-2007, Glavine won 13 games per season and averaged over 200 IP. Glavine averaged 3.7 WAR over those four seasons. Glavine made two All Star Games, game up 3 ER in 17 IP on the only playoff team the Mets have had in 13 years.
                            All of this from a 37-40 year old, who was still outperforming most of the other younger pitchers with better stuff around the league..

The Mets should hope and pray they find some pitchers outside of Harvey who can be this productive for only $10 million per year.
                            1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                            The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

• Originally posted by Bothrops Atrox View Post
                              Quality starts for Mets pitchers since 2003:

Tom Glavine 86
                              Steve Trachsel 48
                              Pedro Martinez 43
                              Al Leiter 40

From 2004-2007, Glavine won 13 games per season and averaged over 200 IP. Glavine averaged 3.7 WAR over those four seasons. Glavine made two All Star Games, game up 3 ER in 17 IP on the only playoff team the Mets have had in 13 years.
                              All of this from a 37-40 year old, who was still outperforming most of the other younger pitchers with better stuff around the league..

The Mets should hope and pray they find some pitchers outside of Harvey who can be this productive for only $10 million per year.
                              No news to me those pitching staffs were no good. Ownership had a regional sports network to launch with a new stadium following soon. They slapped together the best talent they could over a relatively short period. My post wasn't about Glavine's actual performance, it was about his apparent indifference to winning or losing with the Mets.

For a team with the starting pitching of the 1990s Braves and over a decade of division titles, their record in crucial short series was astonishingly bad. Compare and contrast: when the Seaver era Mets got into short post season series, they knocked off almost everyone they faced - legendary teams like the Big Red Machine, the 109 win Orioles - and took the 3-peat A's to seven games. That 1973 Mets team, by the way, had an OPS+ of 83! Ultimately there's something defective about a team that wins 14 straight division titles and only winds up with one World Championship.

Maybe Glavine had learned to be O.K. with losing as a coping mechanism from his years with the Braves, but I'm still resentful of his attitude upon getting blown out in the last game of the 2007 season. That he doesn't even remember his Mets career well enough to get the year of the playoff run correct when discussing it speaks volumes about how he viewed it.

Comment

• To me, Glavine was never a "real" Met. Any joy I might feel at the announcement of his election to Cooperstown, in the context of his having played for the Mets, is a true case of "rooting for laundry."
                                X
                                What's THAT guy doing?
                                - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X