Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captain Mac
    replied
    Favorite Mets memory was my first game at Shea with my dad and someone who I consider to this day my second dad, my favorite uncle.

Mets were losing badly to the Cubs on this day. It had to be 1969 because I yelled from way up in the stands for Donn Clendennon to hit a home run and he did!

Leave a comment:

• D-Dubs
    replied
    Originally posted by D-Dubs View Post
    New to this thread, but love the idea... some of my favorites...

Walking out of the tunnel on the field level at Shea in 1975 (7 years old) at my first Met game... the green grass, blue sky, the smell of pipe tobacco... I've been hooked ever since. I think Kingman struck out three times then hit one into the parking lot.

Seaver coming home again.

Straw's home run off the clock in St. Louis.

Watching Game 6 in my college dorm room on a 12 inch black & white TV, having already resigned myself to a loss, opening another beer to drown my sorrows. Scoffing at Carter's hit, still PO'd after Mitchell got his... Then starting to believe when Knight got his... flipping out on Stanley's wild pitch, spilling the beer... my head nearly hitting the ceiling when it got by Buckner!!

Piazza's homer after 9/11

Taking each of my kids to their first games at Shea... no more pipe tobacco, but I saw the same look in their eyes as they walked through the tunnell and caught sight of the field.
    Forgot a great one -- Listening to Bob Murphy (the Soundtrack of Summer) in my back yard, while my Dad grilled up dinner next to me. I'd throw the Spaldeen ball against the garage, mimicking each pitch.

Leave a comment:

• D-Dubs
    replied
    New to this thread, but love the idea... some of my favorites...

Walking out of the tunnel on the field level at Shea in 1975 (7 years old) at my first Met game... the green grass, blue sky, the smell of pipe tobacco... I've been hooked ever since. I think Kingman struck out three times then hit one into the parking lot.

Seaver coming home again.

Straw's home run off the clock in St. Louis.

Watching Game 6 in my college dorm room on a 12 inch black & white TV, having already resigned myself to a loss, opening another beer to drown my sorrows. Scoffing at Carter's hit, still PO'd after Mitchell got his... Then starting to believe when Knight got his... flipping out on Stanley's wild pitch, spilling the beer... my head nearly hitting the ceiling when it got by Buckner!!

Piazza's homer after 9/11

Taking each of my kids to their first games at Shea... no more pipe tobacco, but I saw the same look in their eyes as they walked through the tunnell and caught sight of the field.

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied
    Originally posted by theAmazingMet View Post
    Well God was a fan in 69, so it stands to reason the sisters would be as well!
    I think George Burns took the credit in the movie, "Oh God".

And Shea most certainly did rock during the big games.

I miss it.

Leave a comment:

• theAmazingMet
    replied
    Originally posted by Freshstart19 View Post
    A Catholic School in Orange, NJ. The nuns were all Mets fans!
    Well God was a fan in 69, so it stands to reason the sisters would be as well!

Leave a comment:

• Freshstart19
    replied
    A Catholic School in Orange, NJ. The nuns were all Mets fans!

Leave a comment:

• Strawman
    replied
    Originally posted by Freshstart19 View Post
    I'm new here but thought I'd chime in.

Watching the 1969 WS day games on TV in school. The nuns were fans and the games were during the day when kids could watch. Really miss that!!
    Ha! Me too....that was cool. What school?

Leave a comment:

• Freshstart19
    replied
    I'm new here but thought I'd chime in.

Watching the 1969 WS day games on TV in school. The nuns were fans and the games were during the day when kids could watch. Really miss that!!

Any time Mike Piazza got up with men on and 2 outs! Always confident that Piazza would come through. Dont' get that feeling so much now. Of course, can't discount the emotion behind his homer in that first game after 911. Still get goose bumps watching the replay of the "joy" in the stadium.

Endy's catch! I was there for that one. You knew at that moment that we were going to the World Series and that I'd finally get a ticket to one since I had a Saturday plan. It just had to be! Until, Beltran went down "looking"! Oh, the pain....

Being in the stadium when it literally rocked after the Mets made it to their last World Series. Never experienced anything like that!

Leave a comment:

• Shea Knight
    replied
    -Learning Mike Piazza had been traded to the Mets, aka, The Day I Became A Mets Fan For Life (Age 7)

-The Mets/Braves Rivalry in the 1990s...games going late into the night, it was fun to stay up late, and even better to stay up watching Mike and the Mets

-The Grand Single

-Winning the Pennant in 2000

-Watching the Mets in the 2000 WS

-Piazza's first HR in the WS

-Hearing about Piazza's 9/11 HR (didn't see it live, living here in Southern California)

-Watching Mike Piazza and (so far) the Mets for the only time live at Dodger Stadium...sitting about midway up, along the first base line--and Piazza hit a blast to right-center field...the one time I saw my baseball hero in person, and he hit a HR down the same baseline I was sitting...AAAAAHHHHH.....

-Piazza breaking the All-Time Catcher HR record

-The 2006 Regular Season

-Endy's Catch in Game 7 of the 2006 NLCS

-Watching Mets/Phillies before my HS Prom (went with two of my friends...actress friends from my theatre dept., they ask if I'm ready, and all I can respond is that Ollie Perez pitched alright for a change but was erratic, usual stuff, Reyes got hurt, and the Mets had the lead until Sean Green blew it late...I remember more about that game than the actual prom, lol...but the dinner afterwards with them I remember well, so yeah...even in a loss, a good memory, especially with them laughing so much at the Mets' losing thing, knowing I'm like the guy from "Fever Pitch" only with the Mets)

-Buying my first Mets replica jersey last year (may sound like a little thing, but here in LA County, not something you can take for granted like in NY)

-Listening to the 20-inning St. Louis Marathon for hours BEFORE going to see "my" drama generation (my junior friends from the last year, now seniors) in their last performance, watching it on my cell phone at intermission, while cleaning up afterward, on the ride to Denny's...and the fact the Mets won makes it all the better (I actually recorded the St. Louis radio call of that game, as I do with some Mets games...don't know when I'll listen to a 5+ hour broadcast though lol...a celebratory night with friends AND an epic, memorable Mets win...and more chuckling about my Mets obsession...good times, good times...)

-Listening to R.A. Dickey's one-hitter over the radio

Good times...
    Last edited by Shea Knight; 11-10-2010, 09:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Originally posted by VIBaseball View Post
    If we're on the subject of Straw's dramatic homers, here's one I remember that I saw at Shea. Thanks to Retrosheet, I pinpointed that it was Friday night, May 6, 1988.

In the top of the 10th, Randy Myers gave up a homer to Chris Sabo, and Cincinnati went ahead 3-2.
    John Franco (who had come on in the 9th when the game was tied) got the first two outs in the bottom of the 10th.
    But then Hernandez walked and Straw unloaded. Game over.
    LOL -- if you look at the first page of this thread I mentioned this homer. I also mentioned it to Franco...again....and again.

Leave a comment:

• m8644
    replied
    Originally posted by VIBaseball View Post
    If we're on the subject of Straw's dramatic homers, here's one I remember that I saw at Shea. Thanks to Retrosheet, I pinpointed that it was Friday night, May 6, 1988.

In the top of the 10th, Randy Myers gave up a homer to Chris Sabo, and Cincinnati went ahead 3-2.
    John Franco (who had come on in the 9th when the game was tied) got the first two outs in the bottom of the 10th.

I remember that one.....Straw also had a game ending homer against Franco in April 1985

Leave a comment:

• VIBaseball
    replied

Leave a comment:

• m8644
    replied
    Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
    Exactly....he actually pauses for a few seconds then says "in either league". Another great McCarver call was the game ending double play in San Diego...at home and then third base on a throw from the outfield "just your routine double play".

They were so good even the announcers were arrogant.

yeaa that August san diego game was another great one

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Originally posted by m8644 View Post
    that 1986 game was one of McCarver's great calls as a met...."well hit way back deep center field, Darryl Strawberry has done it again, a tremendous home run and it's tied up 5-5"........and for Knight's.."that ball is outta here, this ballgame is over and I dont believe it, Ray Knight hits a game winning home run and the mets have won 7 in a row....they are spreading the news that the mets are the dominant team in this game, in either league"
    Exactly....he actually pauses for a few seconds then says "in either league". Another great McCarver call was the game ending double play in San Diego...at home and then third base on a throw from the outfield "just your routine double play".

They were so good even the announcers were arrogant.

Leave a comment:

• m8644
    replied
    Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
    I saw this thread back at the top and thought of a couple more:

These have the "Straw was my favorite Met ever" theme.

1986 July 3rd against the Astros. The Mets give up 2 in the top of the 10th..In bottom of the 10th Straw hits a 2 run homer (his 4th hit and his 2nd homer of the day) to tie the game. The next batter Ray Knight hits a walk off homer --- although not called a walk off back in 1986.

1991 May 7th - was my anti-Met year for letting Straw walk away. Straw homers off of Viola in a Dodger uniform. Needless to say I was losing my mind calling Viola every name I can think of and some that I made up...why? I have no clue. Seeing Straw in Dodger blue made me sick.
    that 1986 game was one of McCarver's great calls as a met...."well hit way back deep center field, Darryl Strawberry has done it again, a tremendous home run and it's tied up 5-5"........and for Knight's.."that ball is outta here, this ballgame is over and I dont believe it, Ray Knight hits a game winning home run and the mets have won 7 in a row....they are spreading the news that the mets are the dominant team in this game, in either league"

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X