X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mongoose
    replied
    Originally posted by theAmazingMet View Post
    August 27, 1983, My cousin took me to my first Mets game. We Won 6-3 against the Giants. I remember alot of old NY Giants fans being there, and being torn over who to root for. Darryl Strawberry had 2 Homers, and I was hooked for life. What a way to be introduced to major league baseball. The hot young phenom jacking not one, but two homers in front of an impressionable 9 year old. I always look back to that game when this team has me in the dumps (which is more often than not). What was your first game that you attended, and how did the Mets do? How did you feel when you left the stadium? Lets hear your first game memories.
    Great post and great idea for a thread. Might it be a good idea, though, to combine this with the larger Mets memories thread? I'd like to see a giant Mets memories thread stickied as a place we could all share cool stuff like this without having to worry about people kicking the thread all the time; something you can spend hours reading sort of like a miniature, omnibus Ultimate Mets Database.

I actually remember the first Mets game I ever saw on T.V., which was my real first Mets memory - Willie Mays's farewell! I don't really remember it vividly, though. My father had to explain Willie Mays to me. I was already a long suffering Mets fan by the time Strawberry arrived... All of which brings the Mets-Giants thing full circle.

Leave a comment:

• theAmazingMet
    replied
    My First Mets Game

August 27, 1983, My cousin took me to my first Mets game. We Won 6-3 against the Giants. I remember alot of old NY Giants fans being there, and being torn over who to root for. Darryl Strawberry had 2 Homers, and I was hooked for life. What a way to be introduced to major league baseball. The hot young phenom jacking not one, but two homers in front of an impressionable 9 year old. I always look back to that game when this team has me in the dumps (which is more often than not). What was your first game that you attended, and how did the Mets do? How did you feel when you left the stadium? Lets hear your first game memories.

Leave a comment:

• milladrive
    replied
    Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
    Memories listed here can be things we've seen on T.V., of course.

The chances of any of us being lucky enough to be there when the no-hitter finally happens are small. There's also a lot of luck involved. A friend of mine who was a long time Field Level season ticket holder had to go a wedding and missed game 6 of the 1986 World Series. Of all the games to miss... Another friend who wasn't especially a baseball fan managed to attend David Cone's perfect game.
    Interestingly, the day Cone pitched that game was also the day the Yanks were honoring Larsen for his perfect WS game. Don threw out the first pitch to Yogi, then David went on to do his thing. Now that's coincidence!

I wonder if I'm the only one here who remembers Randy Tate's almost no-hitter?

I doubt it.
    I remember it.

I was small, but I remember he had fine stuff and a lot of potential; good enough for another season in the big leagues anyway. I got to see him pitch live a couple times in 1975, which was his only year in the Majors; I missed his almost no-hitter by one start. I wonder why he never pitched in the big leagues again. Anyone know whatever happened to him?
    Tate tore a rotator cuff while pitching for the Pirates AAA team and was forced out of pro ball. Last I'd heard -- either '06 or '07 -- he was criminally charged with stealing copper from a chemical company.

Leave a comment:

• m8644
    replied

The chances of any of us being lucky enough to be there when the no-hitter finally happens are small. There's also a lot of luck involved. A friend of mine who was a long time Field Level season ticket holder had to go a wedding and missed game 6 of the 1986 World Series. Of all the games to miss... Another friend who wasn't especially a baseball fan managed to attend David Cone's perfect game.

I doubt it.

I was small, but I remember he had fine stuff and a lot of potential; good enough for another season in the big leagues anyway. I got to see him pitch live a couple times in 1975, which was his only year in the Majors; I missed his almost no-hitter by one start. I wonder why he never pitched in the big leagues again. Anyone know whatever happened to him?
    I vividly remember Cone's one hitter against Houston in April 1992.....a no no until the 8th when I believe Benny Destafano hit a little dribbler down the 3rd base line

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied
    Originally posted by hartman74 View Post
    The day a Mets pitcher throws a no-hitter. That will be a favorite Met memory. 48 seasons without one. Maybe 2010 is the year for a Met pitcher.

I doubt it.

Last edited by Mongoose; 01-23-2010, 03:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• hartman74
    replied
    The day a Mets pitcher throws a no-hitter. That will be a favorite Met memory. 48 seasons without one. Maybe 2010 is the year for a Met pitcher.

Leave a comment:

• milladrive
    replied
    Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
    I remember 1980 at the All Star Break the Mets were exactly at .500 and only 4 games out of first place. Coming out of the break they dropped a full five game series to the Phillies and that was that.
    Thank for further acknowledging the point that it takes 162 games to make an entire season, and that the wins and losses in April are as crucial as the ones in September.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Originally posted by mandrake View Post

Anyone remember when the Daily News had a Mets vs Maris HR race in the paper? It was 1979...the Mets had a big surge at the end of the year and ended up with 74.
    I remember that Mets vs Maris race. Like you said that race was neck and neck all summer long. Imagine a team hitting that few homers?
    The funny thing about the Mets back then was we knew that we werent winning anything, and we had no expectations. We just enjoyed everyday that there was a game. My friends and I lived and died with them..mostly died but we got another game tomorrow. Thats the beautiful thing about 14, 15 ,16 years old. You dont yet realize its a business and you think its still a game. You tend to buy whatever the front office is selling as gospel. You focus on the field and thats pretty much it. Ignorance was bliss.

Then you get older realize it is only a business. You also realize that the front office is making a sales pitch to the fans, and in some cases trying to insult your intelligence. Thats where the negative and anger come from. Bye bye bliss.

I remember 1980 at the All Star Break the Mets were exactly at .500 and only 4 games out of first place. Coming out of the break they dropped a full five game series to the Phillies and that was that.

Leave a comment:

• PVNICK
    replied
    Originally posted by mandrake View Post
    After that very long post, I came up with some moments that I should have included........so here goes. (all games attended in person)

8/21/79 I think I one time mentioned the Mets game where the Mets left the field with 2 outs in the 9th thinking they won 5-0. When they had to retake the field for the last out, Kranepool does not come out and the Astros hitter singles towards 1st base. Joe Torre, not yet anointed a genius, has no idea the Mets failed to play with 8 men in fair territory and nearly had to forfeit the game. The batter gets a 'do over' , the Astros protest the game, and the last out is replayed the next day.
    If Kevin Kobel as the pitcher then I was as the park the following day b/c I remember being at a game where he had to finish up a suspended game before the 'real' game began.

Leave a comment:

• metfan13
    replied
    I seem to recall it was Dan Norman who hit the "record breaking" 62nd homer.

Leave a comment:

• mandrake
    replied
    Met memories from Shea, part 2

After that very long post, I came up with some moments that I should have included........so here goes. (all games attended in person)

8/21/79 I think I one time mentioned the Mets game where the Mets left the field with 2 outs in the 9th thinking they won 5-0. When they had to retake the field for the last out, Kranepool does not come out and the Astros hitter singles towards 1st base. Joe Torre, not yet anointed a genius, has no idea the Mets failed to play with 8 men in fair territory and nearly had to forfeit the game. The batter gets a 'do over' , the Astros protest the game, and the last out is replayed the next day.

5/8/82 Jim Barr, upset over a quick hook from Frank Robinson, nearly come to blows on the mound. Mets lose 8-3, but did get to cheer ''hit 'em'' trying to encourage Giants. All players on teh field, except for Chili Davis and Jack Clark, separate the manager and the pitcher.

8/20/85 Gooden strikes out 16 SF Giants to boost his record to 19-3. The K corner in full force, even though he seemed to strike out even more batters in '84. I picked this one because I never went to a game with more KO's by a starter. (only 31,000 approx at Shea for a HUGE game....strange how 31K now is a disappointment. Gooden was a big draw, the Mets were in a real race, and 24,000 empty seats???)

9/27/89 With the Mets ending up second again, I had to see Gary Carter and Keith Hernandez last time at Shea. Only 18,000 show up. Very sad to see the two go; cheered them for bringing us a WS, but deep down felt we should have seen 2 or 3. Highlight was the Jeffries vs McDowell fight to end the game.

There were so many memories; helmet days before 54,000 plus, fan appreciation games where they gave away real gifts to the fans. Through thick and thin, the hard core fans were there.:gt

Anyone remember when the Daily News had a Mets vs Maris HR race in the paper? It was 1979...the Mets had a big surge at the end of the year and ended up with 74.

Leave a comment:

• metfan13
    replied
    Wasn't it Staub and not Jones?

Leave a comment:

• PVNICK
    replied
    Watching that on T.V. with my dad was one of my earliest baseball memories. The heck with the gambling. I still haven't forgiven Rose for that.

I hated his guts ever since.

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied
    Originally posted by margatemanor View Post
    I have many great shea memories for both the mets and jets..the one that will always be my highlight was 10/8/73 game 3 national league playoffs. my mom was able to score some awesome loge reserved 3rd base line seats. and we saw all the action unfold as rose slid into harrelson. we saw the bottles and cans being thrown at rose out in left field and we saw berra, seaver, mays and jones walk out to left field to calm the fans down to prevent a forfeit of the game.

i guess being 12 and cutting school with your mom to go to a game is a great memory in itself. but who would know what was to come as the game unfolded. a double great memory.
    Watching that on T.V. with my dad was one of my earliest baseball memories. The heck with the gambling. I still haven't forgiven Rose for that.

Leave a comment:

• margatemanor
    replied
    I have many great shea memories for both the mets and jets..the one that will always be my highlight was 10/8/73 game 3 national league playoffs. my mom was able to score some awesome loge reserved 3rd base line seats. and we saw all the action unfold as rose slid into harrelson. we saw the bottles and cans being thrown at rose out in left field and we saw berra, seaver, mays and jones walk out to left field to calm the fans down to prevent a forfeit of the game.

i guess being 12 and cutting school with your mom to go to a game is a great memory in itself. but who would know what was to come as the game unfolded. a double great memory.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X