What are your favorite Mets memories?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
    I am going to assume this was the game with the Knight/Davis brawl at 3rd base.

A few things that stand out about that game just from memory are (besides the bench clearing brawl) is the dropped can o' corn by Dave Parker to extend the game. Probably the worst play of his career.

Davey Johnson swapping Orosco/McDowell from the mound & right field because Strawberry got tossed as he was in the middle of every scuffle. Of course there was the game winning homer by HoJo. This game was one of the craziest games ever played by the Mets.

No matter what happens as a Met fan most of us on this board will always have the memories of 1986. It wasnt just the WS win it was the way they won games. I can easily see hating them if you weren't a fan. I mean seriously hating them. I remember the July 3rd game (yes I remember the date of this one)- Strawberry homers in the 9th (off of Kerfeld - Astros to tie it and Knight homers to win it. McCarver says "the Mets are spreading the news that they are the dominant team in baseball..........in either league". The "double play" in San Diego where Dykstra throws someone out at the plate and then they get a runner going to third to end the game. McCarver says "the Mets end the game with a double play, just your routine double play"

Teams hated the Mets because of the curtain calls. Seemed there were multiple curtain calls on a nightly basis at Shea. Other teams hated the Mets. It was just awesome to see. I remember Gary Carter coming out for a curtain call every time he homered at home. Carter loved the attention and wasn't going to let it slip past him.

The team was arrogant....the fans were just as arrogant.....hell the base coaches were arrogant. How many base coached start a brawl? See Bill Robinson.

That is why although I will always be a Mets fan and follow them every other Met team that has followed has paled in comparison - and I mean its not even close. The 1999-2000 Piazza led teams were like Girl Scouts compared to the 1986 team. I can say the same for the current team. I understand that the game has changed since them but when you have Doc pitching, Straw, Keith, Carter in the middle of the order, Knights temper, the rest of the pitching staff, and just how off center this team was....it made for true entertainment along with guys that can play great baseball.

So I just hope to one day see the 2nd best Met team ever.
    That would be 2016. Unless 2017 tops it, too soon to tell.

Comment

• Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
      That would be 2016. Unless 2017 tops it, too soon to tell.
      I wish I held the future in my memory. 1969 must have been astounding to see. I'm not sure which posters here were old enough to remember it clearly.

For me the 1985 team was great. They played well down the stretch. I still don't understand how they didn't win the division. If Seaver was still on the team they would have made the playoffs and probably won the W.S. considering Gooden was invincible that year. They played and won some wild games too. The July 4th game comes to mind. I wonder if anyone recorded that one. It was too long for just one videotape.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

• I was just thinking about Willie Mays. I remember him as a Met a little. I was a kid and a bit too young to really be a knowledgeable fan. I can't argue with anyone who thinks he was the best ever. I lean more towards Honus Wagner because he dominated on both sides of the ball at shortstop. Mays did play in a more competitive era than Wagner, Cobb and Ruth though. Even as a Met his OPS was .746. for an OPS+ of 112.

Does anyone remember much about his service with the Mets or Giants in New York?

Finally, on a subject we discussed earlier, I found this interesting. Look at all the pictures of the top 20 single season leaders in rWAR and look at who the only player with a color photograph is; one of only two 20th Century players:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/le...R_season.shtml

Wow.

Comment

• Watching Mike Piazza's 9/11 jersey get auctioned off so that the Wilpons could bag an extra $50K.

In all seriousness, I was there in person when the Billy Buckner ball went under his legs. That was a great event! Prior to that would be the first time I saw Dwight Gooden pitch as a rookie. I couldn't believe that he had the velocity and control he had.

I also really want to say the subway World Series, but that was just so painful to watch.
          Last edited by jjpm74; 04-09-2016, 02:26 PM.

Comment

• "Wilmer Flores Night at Citi Field" might be my new favorite all-time Mets Game I Actually Watched Live...

The circumstances of the previous couple nights, the fact that Cespedes was coming and so there was that anticipation there, Matt Harvey started and was on (always a plus for me ), vs. the Nationals, that it was THE game on which the whole season turned, from hanging on for dear life in the race to taking off and winning the pennant, so much of happened before and afterwards seems to hinge on that one series and that one game...it had a ridiculously storybook ending and hero with Wilmer's HR...a definite Mets memory.
            "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

• Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
              I wish I held the future in my memory. 1969 must have been astounding to see. I'm not sure which posters here were old enough to remember it clearly.

For me the 1985 team was great. They played well down the stretch. I still don't understand how they didn't win the division. If Seaver was still on the team they would have made the playoffs and probably won the W.S. considering Gooden was invincible that year. They played and won some wild games too. The July 4th game comes to mind. I wonder if anyone recorded that one. It was too long for just one videotape.
              Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
              I was just thinking about Willie Mays. I remember him as a Met a little. I was a kid and a bit too young to really be a knowledgeable fan. I can't argue with anyone who thinks he was the best ever. I lean more towards Honus Wagner because he dominated on both sides of the ball at shortstop. Mays did play in a more competitive era than Wagner, Cobb and Ruth though. Even as a Met his OPS was .746. for an OPS+ of 112.

Does anyone remember much about his service with the Mets or Giants in New York?

Finally, on a subject we discussed earlier, I found this interesting. Look at all the pictures of the top 20 single season leaders in rWAR and look at who the only player with a color photograph is; one of only two 20th Century players:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/le...R_season.shtml

Wow.

If anyone recorded the 1985 July 4th game they would have run out of VHS tape. That game was just insane.

I just don't understand how anyone can say how Babe Ruth isn't the greatest player ever. Dominant pitcher, then the greatest hitter ever. Sorry Ted Williams. Ruth is the all time leader in SLG/OPS/OPS+. He out homered teams. Just crazy numbers. I understand Ruth, Cobb, Wagner played before the color barrier was broken, but I think you can only judge the players by who/when they played.

Comment

• Bartolo Colon's home run just shot into my top ten. Anyone else?

Comment

• I remember seeing Seaver pitch at Shea during his first stint with the Mets. I was only a little kid, and didn't take careful note of the movement on his pitches.

I don't know who is old enough to remember young Tom Seaver thoroughly, around here. His late career success was the result of knowing how to pitch. When he was younger, though, he had phenomenal stuff. Check this out:

Nice to see on a November Sunday.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
                    I remember seeing Seaver pitch at Shea during his first stint with the Mets. I was only a little kid, and didn't take careful note of the movement on his pitches.

I don't know who is old enough to remember young Tom Seaver thoroughly, around here. His late career success was the result of knowing how to pitch. When he was younger, though, he had phenomenal stuff. Check this out:

Nice to see on a November Sunday.
                    It sure is great viewing. Thank you! I was only 4 years old for the '68 ASG. My earliest recollections of baseball are from after the 1960s ended. I remember the moon landing, but not the '69 Mets.

Watching the aging superstar being overpowered by this phenom seems almost unfair. ...until we think of all the pitchers Mantle made look silly.

Heh, and look how fast Seaver worked. Gotta love it.

https://stuffnobodycaresabout.com/20...mickey-mantle/
                    Put it in the books.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X