Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Met Fan Memories

So many- In no particular Order-

1968- My first baseball game at Shea, vs the Astors, the first in a lifetime of 1 run Met losses.

1969- Tom's "imperfect game"

1969- Taking 2 of 3 from Cubs in Hot Wrigley in July, Al Weis's HR winning one of them. The "Black Cat" game, and the clincher.

1969- The entire Post Season.

1973- "The Ball on the Wall", capping a 5 game home and home with the Bucs.
    1973- Entire NLCS vs big Red Machine. Matlack's 2 hitter, The Rose Game, Game 4 when Rose won it in the 11th with a HR and ran around the bases with his arms pumped,and the clincher.I was also at Game 3 of the series vs A's and remember Wayne Garrett's Leadoff HR going over my head.

1984- Every Doc Start. He was Something.

1985- Opening Day. I was There. Jack Clark hit a BULLET off Doc between the LF Light towers that got out of there in about 2 seconds. Carter's HR won in the 9th. Shea was shaking.....

1986- All of it, beginning to end.

1998- Piazza's debut at Shea.
    1999- What a lineup. Alphono's 3 HR Game in Houston. Piazza's bomb off Wagner late in the season. Playoof's vs D'Backs and Braves.
    2000- Somehow winning a pennant with that awful lineup. Was all down hill after that. ...

There are so many more. Funny that the pleasant memories stay with you. The bad ones, and there are many...tend to fade away. But that's life as a Met Fan.

F**k the Yankees.

Comment

Originally posted by Olliemets View Post
      So many- In no particular Order-

1968- My first baseball game at Shea, vs the Astors, the first in a lifetime of 1 run Met losses.

1969- Tom's "imperfect game"

1969- Taking 2 of 3 from Cubs in Hot Wrigley in July, Al Weis's HR winning one of them. The "Black Cat" game, and the clincher.

1969- The entire Post Season.

1973- "The Ball on the Wall", capping a 5 game home and home with the Bucs.
      1973- Entire NLCS vs big Red Machine. Matlack's 2 hitter, The Rose Game, Game 4 when Rose won it in the 11th with a HR and ran around the bases with his arms pumped,and the clincher.I was also at Game 3 of the series vs A's and remember Wayne Garrett's Leadoff HR going over my head.

1984- Every Doc Start. He was Something.

1985- Opening Day. I was There. Jack Clark hit a BULLET off Doc between the LF Light towers that got out of there in about 2 seconds. Carter's HR won in the 9th. Shea was shaking.....

1986- All of it, beginning to end.

1998- Piazza's debut at Shea.
      1999- What a lineup. Alphono's 3 HR Game in Houston. Piazza's bomb off Wagner late in the season. Playoof's vs D'Backs and Braves.
      2000- Somehow winning a pennant with that awful lineup. Was all down hill after that. ...

There are so many more. Funny that the pleasant memories stay with you. The bad ones, and there are many...tend to fade away. But that's life as a Met Fan.

F**k the Yankees.
      great stuff.....only thing is Piazza's homer off wagner was in 1998, not 1999
      "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Comment

all of 1969

Booing Pete Rose after his fight with Harrelson

Double headers in the boxes near 1b in the summer sun...

Opening days at Shea for my Birthday...

The playoffs in 1973...

Sitting with my college buds in great seats in the early 80's that we got walking up to the gate because the Mets sucked so bad, drinking beer and rooting for guys like Hubie Brooks.

2006 game 6 with my son, my best friend and fellow Mets fan since I was 10 and my old college roommate singing the Jose song and having the Mets win!

Comment

Some off the top of my head:

I don't remember what it was but I remember my reaction to the Mets last out in 1973 LCS was to run out of the house like a lunatic.

Seeing Mays hit HRs 640 and 650 something

Seaver's dirty right uniform knee.

Montanez in '78.

Straw and Doc when they came up, especially Lord Charles.

the whole buildup to '86

game 6 NLCS

Todd Pratts HR to beat Arizona.

Comment

Favorite memories:

Games I was at - no particular order

1) Darryl Strawberry's game winning homer off of John Franco in the 10th inning in a game in May 1987. I later on became friendly with Franco in Brooklyn, and reminded him about it all the time.

2) 1977 Steve Henderson's grand slam against the Pirates in the second game of a Sunday double header. Stevie Wonder became my favorite Met. Henderson was 2nd in the ROY voting to now HOF'er Andre Dawson.

3) Met Playoff win against the Dodgers in 1988 on rainy Saturday afternoon. Gibson made a great catch and the Dodger pitcher was caught with sand paper.

4) 1977. I was there when the lights went out during the black out. Jerry Koosman just struck out. Lenny Randle stepped into the box and the city went black. I remember looking out from the upper deck and seeing nothing but night time across the city.

5) Watching Dave Kingman hit three homers off of Pete Falcone while he was a Cub. Stearns and Mazzilli also homered and the Mets won.

6) 1978 Pete Rose breaks the NL hitting streak record against Craig Swan. A year later they gave out pics of the hit. I was there that day too.

7) Not a great memory....very sad actually..I was at Shea in between games of twi night double header against the Phillies when they put on the score board about Thurman Munson's accident.

8) 1978 Bill Russel the SS for the Dodgers throws a ground ball into the 3rd row to complete a 4 run 9th inning comeback win for the Mets.

I was there for some good stuff....some not so good.
            Last edited by Paulypal; 01-13-2010, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Olliemets View Post
              F**k the Yankees.
              Yeah that has a lot to do with this thread.... Not sure if you noticed but they are doing fine with you not liking them.

Comment

Calm Down Paulie Walnuts

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                Yeah that has a lot to do with this thread.... Not sure if you noticed but they are doing fine with you not liking them.
                Easy big fella. My point was along the lines of "We Met fans have had decades of Frustration" as opposed to our neighbors to the North who love to remind us of their 9 decades of near dominance. And when reminded of that fact by Yankee fans, "F**k the Yanks" is my response. I love the Mets, present ownership excluded.

Having said that not all of my memories of the Mets and Shea are tied to Met success. But that's ok. Part of being a fan.

Comment

Originally posted by LostMet View Post
                  all of 1969

Booing Pete Rose after his fight with Harrelson

Double headers in the boxes near 1b in the summer sun...

Opening days at Shea for my Birthday...

The playoffs in 1973...

Sitting with my college buds in great seats in the early 80's that we got walking up to the gate because the Mets sucked so bad, drinking beer and rooting for guys like Hubie Brooks.

2006 game 6 with my son, my best friend and fellow Mets fan since I was 10 and my old college roommate singing the Jose song and having the Mets win!

Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
                  Some off the top of my head:

I don't remember what it was but I remember my reaction to the Mets last out in 1973 LCS was to run out of the house like a lunatic.

Seeing Mays hit HRs 640 and 650 something

Seaver's dirty right uniform knee.

Montanez in '78.

Straw and Doc when they came up, especially Lord Charles.

the whole buildup to '86

game 6 NLCS

Todd Pratts HR to beat Arizona.

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                  Favorite memories:

Games I was at - no particular order

1) Darryl Strawberry's game winning homer off of John Franco in the 10th inning in a game in May 1987. I later on became friendly with Franco in Brooklyn, and reminded him about it all the time.

2) 1977 Steve Henderson's grand slam against the Pirates in the second game of a Sunday double header. Stevie Wonder became my favorite Met. Henderson was 2nd in the ROY voting to now HOF'er Andre Dawson.

3) Met Playoff win against the Dodgers in 1988 on rainy Saturday afternoon. Gibson made a great catch and the Dodger pitcher was caught with sand paper.

4) 1977. I was there when the lights went out during the black out. Jerry Koosman just struck out. Lenny Randle stepped into the box and the city went black. I remember looking out from the upper deck and seeing nothing but night time across the city.

5) Watching Dave Kingman hit three homers off of Pete Falcone while he was a Cub. Stearns and Mazzilli also homered and the Mets won.

6) 1978 Pete Rose breaks the NL hitting streak record against Craig Swan. A year later they gave out pics of the hit. I was there that day too.

7) Not a great memory....very sad actually..I was at Shea in between games of twi night double header against the Phillies when they put on the score board about Thurman Munson's accident.

8) 1978 Bill Russel the SS for the Dodgers throws a ground ball into the 3rd row to complete a 4 run 9th inning comeback win for the Mets.

I was there for some good stuff....some not so good.
                  All these reminiscences are nice to read.

I’m missing Shea Stadium and good old times on this cold, cold day.

Originally posted by LostMet View Post

Memories like this have special resonance for me. It’d be cool to share some of the actual experiences we had while watching these events happen. It seems to bring them to life more vividly and helps bring a little summer into January.

I remember Shea was usually about 10 to 15 degrees cooler than Manhattan, which was great when the weather got intolerably hot. Usually, but not always.

I was at the ballpark for Gooden’s one bad start in 1985. It was also the only day I can remember at Shea that it was really like an oven. My friend and I had taken the 7, passed by the friendly, familiar sight of Shea, and gone all the way into Flushing and gotten a pizza and brought it back into the stadium with us. There was this one place in Flushing that had good pizza, and I always liked going there before or after games.

That day the haze hung over all 5 boroughs like a filthy blanket, but it didn’t effect our enthusiasm for the game. With a pitching matchup of Gooden and Koosman, we were psyched. Of course we had no idea that this game would be Koos’ last at Shea. We also had great tickets, at the bottom of Loge, just off home plate, which didn’t cost a fortune back then.

Even though Koosman hadn't been a Met in years, it was still strange to see him in a Phillies uniform. We didn't see him long, though: he got knocked out almost immediately, and got a good hand as he walked off the mound at Shea, tipping his cap as he walked into the visitor's dugout. I would have given him a standing ovation if I'd known it was the end of the line for him. I did cheer him very loudly, though.

Gooden didn’t have it that day either. The heat was oppressive. At some point the wind totally stopped. My friend and I looked at each other. I then looked down at my forearm and noticed it was sweating, which it never did.

“Look at my forearm. It’s sweating. This is ridiculous.”, I said.

“If the wind doesn’t pick up again, we’re going to die”, he replied.

Gooden was feeling it, too. He gave up some more runs and was gone after 5. Although he was in a position to win, a group of Mets relievers blew the save.

But the wind picked up, we didn’t die, and the Mets eventually won, which was standard operating procedure in those days. And the pizza was good, too.

Foster and Knight hit back to back home runs, if I recall correctly.

Shea had a nice homelike quality about it. It was free of all the modern “amenities” which are better suited to a mall than a ballpark. You could relax and enjoy the day and the game without constantly feeling like someone was trying to sell you one thing or another.

It was an ideal place for a lazy summer day. This anecdote was uneventful, and that's kind of the point. Shea somehow had a certain atmosphere which was great to simply soak up, regardless of the game action. It was an atmosphere of humor, good times, relaxation and occasionally thrills. I never realized how strong this atmosphere was until Shea was gone.

This atmosphere is itself a memory that's stronger than many of the actual games I saw at Shea. Being there just felt good. So there's another memory, of sorts, I guess.

Anyone else have similar personal experiences or observations to share?
                  Last edited by Mongoose; 01-14-2010, 08:54 AM.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Some of my memories are of the common, no brainer variety like the Bill Buckner error in '86. Some of them are relatively minor. But all of these are when I was there in person.

Seeing Nolan Ryan get shelled by the Pirates in September 1969 as part of a DH. During a period when the Mets win 38 of 49, my parents take me to a DH and they lose both games to the 'lumber company'. In the 2nd game, Stargell..swinging that bat like a sledgehammer, hit a moonshot off Jim McAndrew. First monster HR I recall seeing at Shea.

Being at Shea during the day game on thurs 5/11/72, part of a then very rare day/night DH vs the Dodgers. The message board says Mets just traded for Willie Mays..I think for pitcher Charlie Williams.

5/15/72 One of the all time Mets stiffs, Jim Fregosi, hits a 3 run hr in the bottom of the 8th to win a game. Probably the only time he ever did this as a Met. I recall the scoreboard trying to spell out "JIM" but having random X's and O's on the black board.

Being at fan appreciation day on Sun 9/23/73 when the Mets went into first place at 79-77. This came after they had a strange 5 games vs Pittsburgh; Mon and Tues at Pitt, Wed,Thurs, Fri at Shea. Mets win 4 of the 5 including Cleon's ball off the wall play.

Seeing Seaver pitch a one hitter vs the Cubs in 1977 . Kranepool short hopped a pop-up in RF (why was he in RF??) Later, Mike Vail took his spot in RF. Too late !!! Kingman HR'd; not too long after Seaver and Kingman are gone.

April 11,1979 before a 'huge crowd' of 5,980 Gary Carter tries to bowl over John Stearns setting off a huge brawl. Even Willie Montanez is throwing haymakers. This started a lot of ill will between Stearns and the Expos, especially in 1980.

On June 11, 1981 my mom got me tickets through someone that worked with Bob Murphy. First row by the visiting Reds dugout to see Seaver beat the Mets and Zachary; the fans were chanting 'we want a strike' and got one too. Two months without MLB.

Given hope by getting Keith, I drive to Philly on July 2, 1983 to see a twinight DH at the Vet. First game, bottom of 9th, runners on 1st and 2nd, Orosco pitches, ground ball to first, Keith fires to 3rd base and Kingman (on third base) has no idea play is coming to him and ball is down the LF line. Error on Keith !!!! What about waking Kingman up instead? Anyway, between games there is a HR htting contest and Mets manager Frank Howard wins the contest by launching three of the longest shots I ever saw; Phillie fans gave him a standing ovation as Howard drops the bat and walks slowly back to the dugout. Mets win night cap, Phils win pennant.

1984. Finally after 11 long years, Mets are in a pennant race. Before a crowd of over 36,000 which made enough noise for 56,000 fans, Hernandez beats Neil Allen in a 9-8 thriller. Keith goes 3-5 with 4 RBI. Place goes nuts for the first time since Steve Henderson's HUGE HR in 1980 vs SF (I was not there in person so I could not include that one).

The lowest point? 1988 when Gooden was left in too long and Mike Scioscia launches a bomb. Jesse Orosco comes in to get Strawberry on a harmless popup with the bases loaded and the Orel comes in to get McReynolds....and dreams of another WS goes up in smoke. We are still dreaming in 2010.

Comment

I have many great shea memories for both the mets and jets..the one that will always be my highlight was 10/8/73 game 3 national league playoffs. my mom was able to score some awesome loge reserved 3rd base line seats. and we saw all the action unfold as rose slid into harrelson. we saw the bottles and cans being thrown at rose out in left field and we saw berra, seaver, mays and jones walk out to left field to calm the fans down to prevent a forfeit of the game.

i guess being 12 and cutting school with your mom to go to a game is a great memory in itself. but who would know what was to come as the game unfolded. a double great memory.
                      "to a new yorker like you a hero is some sort of weird sandwich"

"Because I'm loyal and true, to the orange and blue"

Comment

Originally posted by margatemanor View Post
                        I have many great shea memories for both the mets and jets..the one that will always be my highlight was 10/8/73 game 3 national league playoffs. my mom was able to score some awesome loge reserved 3rd base line seats. and we saw all the action unfold as rose slid into harrelson. we saw the bottles and cans being thrown at rose out in left field and we saw berra, seaver, mays and jones walk out to left field to calm the fans down to prevent a forfeit of the game.

i guess being 12 and cutting school with your mom to go to a game is a great memory in itself. but who would know what was to come as the game unfolded. a double great memory.
                        Watching that on T.V. with my dad was one of my earliest baseball memories. The heck with the gambling. I still haven't forgiven Rose for that.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
                          Watching that on T.V. with my dad was one of my earliest baseball memories. The heck with the gambling. I still haven't forgiven Rose for that.

I hated his guts ever since.

Comment

Wasn't it Staub and not Jones?

Comment

Met memories from Shea, part 2

After that very long post, I came up with some moments that I should have included........so here goes. (all games attended in person)

8/21/79 I think I one time mentioned the Mets game where the Mets left the field with 2 outs in the 9th thinking they won 5-0. When they had to retake the field for the last out, Kranepool does not come out and the Astros hitter singles towards 1st base. Joe Torre, not yet anointed a genius, has no idea the Mets failed to play with 8 men in fair territory and nearly had to forfeit the game. The batter gets a 'do over' , the Astros protest the game, and the last out is replayed the next day.

5/8/82 Jim Barr, upset over a quick hook from Frank Robinson, nearly come to blows on the mound. Mets lose 8-3, but did get to cheer ''hit 'em'' trying to encourage Giants. All players on teh field, except for Chili Davis and Jack Clark, separate the manager and the pitcher.

8/20/85 Gooden strikes out 16 SF Giants to boost his record to 19-3. The K corner in full force, even though he seemed to strike out even more batters in '84. I picked this one because I never went to a game with more KO's by a starter. (only 31,000 approx at Shea for a HUGE game....strange how 31K now is a disappointment. Gooden was a big draw, the Mets were in a real race, and 24,000 empty seats???)

9/27/89 With the Mets ending up second again, I had to see Gary Carter and Keith Hernandez last time at Shea. Only 18,000 show up. Very sad to see the two go; cheered them for bringing us a WS, but deep down felt we should have seen 2 or 3. Highlight was the Jeffries vs McDowell fight to end the game.

There were so many memories; helmet days before 54,000 plus, fan appreciation games where they gave away real gifts to the fans. Through thick and thin, the hard core fans were there.:gt

Anyone remember when the Daily News had a Mets vs Maris HR race in the paper? It was 1979...the Mets had a big surge at the end of the year and ended up with 74.

Comment

I seem to recall it was Dan Norman who hit the "record breaking" 62nd homer.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X