What are your favorite Mets memories?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mandrake View Post
    After that very long post, I came up with some moments that I should have included........so here goes. (all games attended in person)

8/21/79 I think I one time mentioned the Mets game where the Mets left the field with 2 outs in the 9th thinking they won 5-0. When they had to retake the field for the last out, Kranepool does not come out and the Astros hitter singles towards 1st base. Joe Torre, not yet anointed a genius, has no idea the Mets failed to play with 8 men in fair territory and nearly had to forfeit the game. The batter gets a 'do over' , the Astros protest the game, and the last out is replayed the next day.
    If Kevin Kobel as the pitcher then I was as the park the following day b/c I remember being at a game where he had to finish up a suspended game before the 'real' game began.

Comment

Originally posted by mandrake View Post

Anyone remember when the Daily News had a Mets vs Maris HR race in the paper? It was 1979...the Mets had a big surge at the end of the year and ended up with 74.
      I remember that Mets vs Maris race. Like you said that race was neck and neck all summer long. Imagine a team hitting that few homers?
      The funny thing about the Mets back then was we knew that we werent winning anything, and we had no expectations. We just enjoyed everyday that there was a game. My friends and I lived and died with them..mostly died but we got another game tomorrow. Thats the beautiful thing about 14, 15 ,16 years old. You dont yet realize its a business and you think its still a game. You tend to buy whatever the front office is selling as gospel. You focus on the field and thats pretty much it. Ignorance was bliss.

Then you get older realize it is only a business. You also realize that the front office is making a sales pitch to the fans, and in some cases trying to insult your intelligence. Thats where the negative and anger come from. Bye bye bliss.

I remember 1980 at the All Star Break the Mets were exactly at .500 and only 4 games out of first place. Coming out of the break they dropped a full five game series to the Phillies and that was that.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
        I remember 1980 at the All Star Break the Mets were exactly at .500 and only 4 games out of first place. Coming out of the break they dropped a full five game series to the Phillies and that was that.
        Thank for further acknowledging the point that it takes 162 games to make an entire season, and that the wins and losses in April are as crucial as the ones in September.
        Put it in the books.

Comment

The day a Mets pitcher throws a no-hitter. That will be a favorite Met memory. 48 seasons without one. Maybe 2010 is the year for a Met pitcher.

Comment

Originally posted by hartman74 View Post
            The day a Mets pitcher throws a no-hitter. That will be a favorite Met memory. 48 seasons without one. Maybe 2010 is the year for a Met pitcher.
            Memories listed here can be things we've seen on T.V., of course.

The chances of any of us being lucky enough to be there when the no-hitter finally happens are small. There's also a lot of luck involved. A friend of mine who was a long time Field Level season ticket holder had to go a wedding and missed game 6 of the 1986 World Series. Of all the games to miss... Another friend who wasn't especially a baseball fan managed to attend David Cone's perfect game.

I wonder if I'm the only one here who remembers Randy Tate's almost no-hitter?

I doubt it.

I was small, but I remember he had fine stuff and a lot of potential; good enough for another season in the big leagues anyway. I got to see him pitch live a couple times in 1975, which was his only year in the Majors; I missed his almost no-hitter by one start. I wonder why he never pitched in the big leagues again. Anyone know whatever happened to him?
            Last edited by Mongoose; 01-23-2010, 02:08 PM.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

The chances of any of us being lucky enough to be there when the no-hitter finally happens are small. There's also a lot of luck involved. A friend of mine who was a long time Field Level season ticket holder had to go a wedding and missed game 6 of the 1986 World Series. Of all the games to miss... Another friend who wasn't especially a baseball fan managed to attend David Cone's perfect game.

I doubt it.

I was small, but I remember he had fine stuff and a lot of potential; good enough for another season in the big leagues anyway. I got to see him pitch live a couple times in 1975, which was his only year in the Majors; I missed his almost no-hitter by one start. I wonder why he never pitched in the big leagues again. Anyone know whatever happened to him?
              I vividly remember Cone's one hitter against Houston in April 1992.....a no no until the 8th when I believe Benny Destafano hit a little dribbler down the 3rd base line
              "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Comment

Interestingly, the day Cone pitched that game was also the day the Yanks were honoring Larsen for his perfect WS game. Don threw out the first pitch to Yogi, then David went on to do his thing. Now that's coincidence!

I doubt it.
                I remember it.

Tate tore a rotator cuff while pitching for the Pirates AAA team and was forced out of pro ball. Last I'd heard -- either '06 or '07 -- he was criminally charged with stealing copper from a chemical company.
                Put it in the books.

Comment

My First Mets Game

August 27, 1983, My cousin took me to my first Mets game. We Won 6-3 against the Giants. I remember alot of old NY Giants fans being there, and being torn over who to root for. Darryl Strawberry had 2 Homers, and I was hooked for life. What a way to be introduced to major league baseball. The hot young phenom jacking not one, but two homers in front of an impressionable 9 year old. I always look back to that game when this team has me in the dumps (which is more often than not). What was your first game that you attended, and how did the Mets do? How did you feel when you left the stadium? Lets hear your first game memories.
                  unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
                  unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
                  unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

Originally posted by theAmazingMet View Post
                    August 27, 1983, My cousin took me to my first Mets game. We Won 6-3 against the Giants. I remember alot of old NY Giants fans being there, and being torn over who to root for. Darryl Strawberry had 2 Homers, and I was hooked for life. What a way to be introduced to major league baseball. The hot young phenom jacking not one, but two homers in front of an impressionable 9 year old. I always look back to that game when this team has me in the dumps (which is more often than not). What was your first game that you attended, and how did the Mets do? How did you feel when you left the stadium? Lets hear your first game memories.
                    Great post and great idea for a thread. Might it be a good idea, though, to combine this with the larger Mets memories thread? I'd like to see a giant Mets memories thread stickied as a place we could all share cool stuff like this without having to worry about people kicking the thread all the time; something you can spend hours reading sort of like a miniature, omnibus Ultimate Mets Database.

I actually remember the first Mets game I ever saw on T.V., which was my real first Mets memory - Willie Mays's farewell! I don't really remember it vividly, though. My father had to explain Willie Mays to me. I was already a long suffering Mets fan by the time Strawberry arrived... All of which brings the Mets-Giants thing full circle.

Comment

Stanley's wild pitch / Trading for Keith / Piazza's post 9-11 HR / Doubleday buying the franchise / Wilpon selling the franchise (you didn't specify that my favorite moments must have happened in the past) / the entire 1984 season / the anticipation of '84 after the '83 season / Kingman in '76 before he got hurt / Trading for Willie Mays (I was 8 at the time - I thought we were getting the guy I had read about) / 9th inning game 6 v. Houston / Sid's relief appearance game 7 v. Boston / '99 playoffs pre Kenny Rogers / Jeff Wilpon ordering the lump crab cakes, opening day 2010 / Eliminating the Dodgers on the same day the Yankees were eliminated in the playoffs '06 / Calling up Daryl early '83 / Trading for Gary / Trading for McReynolds (okay, I was wrong on that one but at the time it looked great, plus we also got the coveted lefty Gene Walter in the same deal!) / Strawberry's monster HR off Ken Dayley late '85 and, of course Mookie-Buckner.
                      "We have a plan; and I like our plan." ...Omar
                      "I belive in our minor leagers; and I like our minor leagers." ...Omar

Comment

Originally posted by theAmazingMet View Post
                        O.K., Mets fans: What was the first time you ever attended a Mets game in person? And what sticks out in your minds about the experience? I know there's a solid group of core posters on this forum, and I know each of us would love to hear everyone's first Mets live baseball experience.

Let's try some mass hypnosis... Are you with me? You're all here along side me... Milladrive, Paulypal, The Amazing Met, Mandrake, PVNICK, The gr8Beldini, Easily Found, Dalkowski110, MSULaxer, everyone...

Ollie, Wright's regression, the Wilpons... They're fading into the distance... They no longer matter... I'm remembering myself as a smiling youngster at Shea now... I've got one of those half and half, chocolate and vanilla, ice creams cups in my hand now... We all have one... I'm even remembering what the wooden spoon tasted like... I'm going back... We're all going back... back... back...

What was the first Mets game you ever attended?

Comment

O.K., Mets fans: What was the first time you ever attended a Mets game in person? And what sticks out in your minds about the experience? I know there's a solid group of core posters on this forum, and I know each of us would love to hear everyone's first Mets live baseball experience.

Let's try some mass hypnosis... Are you with me? You're all here along side me... Milladrive, Paulypal, The Amazing Met, Mandrake, PVNICK, The gr8Beldini, Easily Found, Dalkowski110, MSULaxer, everyone...

Ollie, Wright's regression, the Wilpons... They're fading into the distance... They no longer matter... I'm remembering myself as a smiling youngster at Shea now... I've got one of those half and half, chocolate and vanilla, ice creams cups in my hand now... We all have one... I'm even remembering what the wooden spoon tasted like... I'm going back... We're all going back... back... back...

What was the first Mets game you ever attended?

mine was July 27, 1989 (5 years old). We played pittsburgh....El Sid pitched. I dont remember much about the game.... I know we lost and the bullpen blew it. I THINK that was Aguliera's last home game before the Viola trade a few days later. I wish I remembered more about that game...but I remember SO much about all the other games at shea I attended. The first glimpe of Shea on the 7 train and the first glimpe of the field when you walked through the tunnel always stuck with me all these years.
                          "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Comment

I honestly don't remember precisely what my first Met game was. I do know it was sometime during the '74 season and I was 10. Also pretty sure it was with my grandfather, who, born in 1902, was dodging trolleys in Brooklyn before even Ebbets Field had opened.

I truly wish I could recall the exact details, like the date, score, pitcher, opposing team, etc. For some reason, I feel a kind of void inside due to not knowing that stuff.

Then again, I don't remember living in Flushing for the first fifteen months of my life, with my birth taking place eight days before Shea's first hosted ballgame. My family moved further out on the island in Aug '65, fifteen days before The Beatles set the outdoor concert precedent shaking Shea. I guess it's just karma that I bleed both Mets and Beatles.
                            Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
                              I honestly don't remember precisely what my first Met game was. I do know it was sometime during the '74 season and I was 10. Also pretty sure it was with my grandfather, who, born in 1902, was dodging trolleys in Brooklyn before even Ebbets Field had opened.

I truly wish I could recall the exact details, like the date, score, pitcher, opposing team, etc. For some reason, I feel a kind of void inside due to not knowing that stuff.

Then again, I don't remember living in Flushing for the first fifteen months of my life, with my birth taking place eight days before Shea's first hosted ballgame. My family moved further out on the island in Aug '65, fifteen days before The Beatles set the outdoor concert precedent shaking Shea. I guess it's just karma that I bleed both Mets and Beatles.
                              Ah yes the Beatles! I danced to the Beatles with my mom during my wedding. Got alot of raves for that!
                              unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
                              unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
                              unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

[QUOTE=Paulypal;1679874

I remember 1980 at the All Star Break the Mets were exactly at .500 and only 4 games out of first place. Coming out of the break they dropped a full five game series to the Phillies and that was that.[/QUOTE]

I remember going that Sunday after the break when the Phils swpet us. Carlton totally mowed the Mets down in Game 1, and in game 2 they got blown out early. There must have been about 10K Fans in the place. Wrappers blowing around, etc. I sat alone in the Fair territory in the RF Loge for a few innings and distinctly remember Joel Youngblood catching a shot to RF and dejectedly HEAVING the ball in to the Infield. They were already down by a lot early.
                                Talk about the wheels falling off.....sort of like this year.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X