X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mister B.
    replied
    Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

Hey Mongoose - when I was going through this thread yesterday I noticed this post for the first time. Is it ok if I answer it 10 years and 13 days later?

Assuming you gave me the green light despite being a decade late here goes:

I dont remember much. LOL. It was Helmet Day - 1970 I believe. I have no clue if they won or lost. At that time in my life I lived in Bushwick - Brooklyn. If you dont know what kind of area that was -- it was a war zone. Gangs, drugs...you name it. I didnt get outside much. So to go to Shea and see that big field with grass/dirt was the greatest thing I ever saw.

Even now when I go to a game and I first walk into the stadium I take it all in. I look at the field and think how perfect it is. It is still the greatest thing I ever saw.

I know I had that helmet for a long time.
    Good story. My first game was in 1965. Oldtimers Day of all things, Dodgers vs. Giants for two innings. Mets lost to the Phils. It was the first game that Casey Stengel did not manage for them because he had fallen and broke his hip at the oldtimers party the night before. What I was captivated by was the giant electronic scoreboard.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

O.K., Mets fans: What was the first time you ever attended a Mets game in person? And what sticks out in your minds about the experience? I know there's a solid group of core posters on this forum, and I know each of us would love to hear everyone's first Mets live baseball experience.

Let's try some mass hypnosis... Are you with me? You're all here along side me... Milladrive, Paulypal, The Amazing Met, Mandrake, PVNICK, The gr8Beldini, Easily Found, Dalkowski110, MSULaxer, everyone...

Ollie, Wright's regression, the Wilpons... They're fading into the distance... They no longer matter... I'm remembering myself as a smiling youngster at Shea now... I've got one of those half and half, chocolate and vanilla, ice creams cups in my hand now... We all have one... I'm even remembering what the wooden spoon tasted like... I'm going back... We're all going back... back... back...

What was the first Mets game you ever attended?
    Hey Mongoose - when I was going through this thread yesterday I noticed this post for the first time. Is it ok if I answer it 10 years and 13 days later?

Assuming you gave me the green light despite being a decade late here goes:

I dont remember much. LOL. It was Helmet Day - 1970 I believe. I have no clue if they won or lost. At that time in my life I lived in Bushwick - Brooklyn. If you dont know what kind of area that was -- it was a war zone. Gangs, drugs...you name it. I didnt get outside much. So to go to Shea and see that big field with grass/dirt was the greatest thing I ever saw.

Even now when I go to a game and I first walk into the stadium I take it all in. I look at the field and think how perfect it is. It is still the greatest thing I ever saw.

I know I had that helmet for a long time.

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied
    Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
    Long ago games were fine. Nostalgia and all.

Best games I went to in 2019-
    Opening day, because its opening day.

Monday August 5th. Mid afternoon doubleheader start for rainout makeup. Couldn't have been 500 fans in the seats at first pitch. Mets won the first game 6-2 and the second game 5-4. Against the Marlins. One memorable fan. A woman of a certain age in the first row behind the visiting dugout with a Don Mattingly Yankees Jersey on. Desperately trying to get Mattingly's attention every time he left the dugout. She must have had a crush on him back in the 80's.

Sept 9th- Wilmer Flores returns. He hit a HR but the Mets won 3-1. Standing ovations for Wilmer but the Mets win. Fun night.

Yes, the Flores game was great. Great deGrom start, 2 Alonso home runs. Don't forget the season finale: that Dom Smith walk-off was a great moment.

Leave a comment:

• LI METS FAN
    replied
    Long ago games were fine. Nostalgia and all.

Best games I went to in 2019-
    Opening day, because its opening day.

Monday August 5th. Mid afternoon doubleheader start for rainout makeup. Couldn't have been 500 fans in the seats at first pitch. Mets won the first game 6-2 and the second game 5-4. Against the Marlins. One memorable fan. A woman of a certain age in the first row behind the visiting dugout with a Don Mattingly Yankees Jersey on. Desperately trying to get Mattingly's attention every time he left the dugout. She must have had a crush on him back in the 80's.

Sept 9th- Wilmer Flores returns. He hit a HR but the Mets won 3-1. Standing ovations for Wilmer but the Mets win. Fun night.

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied
    Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
    I just read a lot of this 16 page thread - looking at the dates of the posts ........wow....complaining its been 27 years since a WS win...........well now its 34 years and counting.

On page 1 I listed memories from games I was at -- all still valid.

If I had to narrow it down to my best moment(s) - there or not - its a tie

1) Darryl's homer off of Daly in St Louis 10/1/1985
    1a) Darryl's homer off of Franco in the bottom of the 10th for a walk win in May of 1988.

Huge Strawberry fan.......I may have mentioned that 1000 times or so

On the negative side there is only one memory that made my eyes well up, and I felt like puking. Just one.

1) 1987 - Terry Pendleton homer off of McDowell to put the Mets away in the NL East Race. The Mets were cruising to an easy win. Strawbery homered off of Tudor and Darling was sailing. McGee bunted - Darling hurt his thumb fielding it and came out of the game. The Cards chipped away and then Pendleton hit a homer on a pitch 3 inches off the ground. I still see Mookie going back thinking he has this. Nope

The next day Gooden got his clock cleaned and it was 150 days until spring training 1988.
    Fred had hijacked the team in November 1986, and he immediately began shipping out players he personally disliked, and turning the atmosphere toxic. All in all, I'm glad I saw the mid 80s run. A city gets a team that good once in a lifetime, if they're lucky. Most never do.

Here's an example of good announcing making awful baseball watchable. Cinco de Mayo 1979. The first inning is brutal. Still, it's great to revisit these teams. Craig Swan had fantastic stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    I just read a lot of this 16 page thread - looking at the dates of the posts ........wow....complaining its been 27 years since a WS win...........well now its 34 years and counting.

On page 1 I listed memories from games I was at -- all still valid.

If I had to narrow it down to my best moment(s) - there or not - its a tie

1) Darryl's homer off of Daly in St Louis 10/1/1985
    1a) Darryl's homer off of Franco in the bottom of the 10th for a walk win in May of 1988.

Huge Strawberry fan.......I may have mentioned that 1000 times or so

On the negative side there is only one memory that made my eyes well up, and I felt like puking. Just one.

1) 1987 - Terry Pendleton homer off of McDowell to put the Mets away in the NL East Race. The Mets were cruising to an easy win. Strawbery homered off of Tudor and Darling was sailing. McGee bunted - Darling hurt his thumb fielding it and came out of the game. The Cards chipped away and then Pendleton hit a homer on a pitch 3 inches off the ground. I still see Mookie going back thinking he has this. Nope

The next day Gooden got his clock cleaned and it was 150 days until spring training 1988.

Leave a comment:

• jjpm74
    replied

I haven't watched the whole video, but it runs nearly 4 hours long. I'd assume they got most of this game. I consider it the best non-post season game the Mets were ever involved in. The 16-13 victory over the Braves on fireworks night, July 4th 1985. Enjoy:

That game was over 6 hours long and had a two hour rain delay to go with 6+ hours of game play. I remember it well because the field was a total mess. Doc Gooden started that game.
    Last edited by jjpm74; 05-26-2020, 12:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied
    Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
    In 1997 the Mets were down by 6 runs in the 9th inning with one strike left. They won the game.

it’s not over til it’s over.
    Sept 13 against the Expos.
    Here you go; first the tying runs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBJkRUspLx8

(with bonus radio call)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xPR-opoCbw

And then the winning runs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAZfYTCp6No

I miss Shea. Even with the less elegant 80s makeover, it was awesome.

Leave a comment:

• LI METS FAN
    replied
    In 1997 the Mets were down by 6 runs in the 9th inning with one strike left. They won the game.

it’s not over til it’s over.
    Sept 13 against the Expos.

Leave a comment:

• LI METS FAN
    replied

I haven't watched the whole video, but it runs nearly 4 hours long. I'd assume they got most of this game. I consider it the best non-post season game the Mets were ever involved in. The 16-13 victory over the Braves on fireworks night, July 4th 1985. Enjoy:

Just the best. One of my favorite games.

Every game has the ability to be special. Post season games may be “important” but don’t sleep on any game, period.

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied
    Seaver strikes out 19, including the last 10 in a row, on radio. Kiner, Murphy and Nelson take turns at the microphone. It's interesting to compare their radio styles.

The broadcast takes you back immediately - the advertisements, organ in the background, and names of players give you a real sense of time and place. (And imagine Seaver, Koosman and Ryan starting successive games!)

I wonder how many of us remember the original broadcast team? For those who do and those who don't, enjoy.

on edit: I was too young to remember Lindsey Nelson well. He's great. All the announcers are conversational, yet economical with their words.
    Last edited by Mongoose; 05-25-2020, 06:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied

I wish I held the future in my memory. 1969 must have been astounding to see. I'm not sure which posters here were old enough to remember it clearly.

For me the 1985 team was great. They played well down the stretch. I still don't understand how they didn't win the division. If Seaver was still on the team they would have made the playoffs and probably won the W.S. considering Gooden was invincible that year. They played and won some wild games too. The July 4th game comes to mind. I wonder if anyone recorded that one. It was too long for just one videotape.

Leave a comment:

• milladrive
    replied
    I remember seeing Seaver pitch at Shea during his first stint with the Mets. I was only a little kid, and didn't take careful note of the movement on his pitches.

I don't know who is old enough to remember young Tom Seaver thoroughly, around here. His late career success was the result of knowing how to pitch. When he was younger, though, he had phenomenal stuff. Check this out:

Nice to see on a November Sunday.
    It sure is great viewing. Thank you! I was only 4 years old for the '68 ASG. My earliest recollections of baseball are from after the 1960s ended. I remember the moon landing, but not the '69 Mets.

Watching the aging superstar being overpowered by this phenom seems almost unfair. ...until we think of all the pitchers Mantle made look silly.

Heh, and look how fast Seaver worked. Gotta love it.

https://stuffnobodycaresabout.com/20...mickey-mantle/

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied
    I remember seeing Seaver pitch at Shea during his first stint with the Mets. I was only a little kid, and didn't take careful note of the movement on his pitches.

I don't know who is old enough to remember young Tom Seaver thoroughly, around here. His late career success was the result of knowing how to pitch. When he was younger, though, he had phenomenal stuff. Check this out:

Nice to see on a November Sunday.

Leave a comment:

• jjpm74
    replied
    Bartolo Colon's home run just shot into my top ten. Anyone else?

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X