No announcement yet.

What are your favorite Mets memories?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did some digging an found that my first Mets game was on June 9th, 1999 against the Toronto Blue Jays. It was Rick Reed vs David Well and the game went to the 14th inning when the Mets won it. I really don't remember anything else about it.

Comment

I'll add Santana and Dickey back to back (and a belly to belly) after yet another Met embarrassment. Boy was it nice to get those 2 games from those 2 guys after all of this year's garbage. Haven't had anything to feel good about in a while. Now, I think that we may have a good SP (Dickey) for a long time. Of course, I'm sure that Omar has his sights on signing Livan Hernandez as next year's #3 pitcher (yippee kay yea for us). In fact, if Livan is not a Met next year, I'll eat a bug.
      "We have a plan; and I like our plan." ...Omar
      "I belive in our minor leagers; and I like our minor leagers." ...Omar

Comment

10 years old, First game at Shea in July 1988...G. Carter was stuck at 299 HR, Darryl Strawberry hit the very first HR I ever saw live, McReynolds hit the second HR I ever saw. Bobby Ojeda got the W in a 12-6 finale over the Astros. Will never forget coming out of the tunnel in Mez and seeing the green grass for the first time. It was love at first sight. Had a blast walking down the ramps at the end of game screaming Astros are A$$Holes with all the fans.

Was lucky enough to be at the Todd Pratt division walk off HR in 1999....Unreal!!!

Was lucky enough to be at the 2000 NLCS clincher in 2000. I remember the flyball thinking oh my god!!! we're gonna win the pennant!!! and then bedlam, hugging Mets fans I didn't know going crazy. Stadium was shaking like crazy, I thought we were gonna bring the house down. Me and my bud stayed at the stadium parking lot the whole night with a group of other fans cause we heard WS tickets were goin on sale the next morning. Fun crazy night with a bunch Mets crazies, then we all got disapointed as a Mets exec came out of the Stadium around 7 or 8 am and told us no tix were being sold that day. It was fun anyway!

Sat in the bleachers of Yankee Stadium in Game 2 of World Series with my best bud (a Yankees fan). Saw Clemens throw bat at Piazza in a fit of roid rage....even Yank fans in the bleachers were shocked and thought he shoulda been chucked from the game. Mets lost of course, but I got to see Piazza hit a HR in the World Series at Yankee Stadium in the 9th, and on a cool note that I found out the other day, Jay Payton hit a HR off of Mo Rivera....The only HR Rivera has ever given up in a World Series game.

Writing all this makes me miss Shea dearly.....A piece of my childhood disappeared when the stadium disappeared. Even during the losing seaons of the 90's in my teens it was my favorite place to go, nothing like a sunny day at Shea....It was my home away from home.

Got many others but these stick out as my best.
        New York (N.L.)
        1888, 1889, 1904, 1905, 1911, 1912, 1913, 1917, 1921, 1922, 1923, 1924, 1933, 1936, 1937, 1951, 1954, 1969, 1973, 1986, 2000

Brooklyn (N.L.)
        1890, 1899, 1900, 1916, 1920, 1941, 1947, 1949, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956

New York (A.A.) 1884 Brooklyn (A.A.) 1889

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
          O.K., Mets fans: What was the first time you ever attended a Mets game in person? And what sticks out in your minds about the experience? I know there's a solid group of core posters on this forum, and I know each of us would love to hear everyone's first Mets live baseball experience.

Let's try some mass hypnosis... Are you with me? You're all here along side me... Milladrive, Paulypal, The Amazing Met, Mandrake, PVNICK, The gr8Beldini, Easily Found, Dalkowski110, MSULaxer, everyone...

Ollie, Wright's regression, the Wilpons... They're fading into the distance... They no longer matter... I'm remembering myself as a smiling youngster at Shea now... I've got one of those half and half, chocolate and vanilla, ice creams cups in my hand now... We all have one... I'm even remembering what the wooden spoon tasted like... I'm going back... We're all going back... back... back...

What was the first Mets game you ever attended?

Actually, it was when I was a youngster and had no idea what was going on. I looked up the game, and the starting pitcher for St Louis in the first game of a doubleheader was 3-5 going into the game. He beat the Mets to start a 15 game winning streak, ended up with a 1.12 era.....Mr Bob Gibson.
          For the record , the Mets also lost the second game. 6/2/68

By the next season, I was really into baseball and my parents took me to a twi light DH. Ryan and McAndrew were smacked around in a DH by the Pirates. The Mets win 38 0f 49 and I go to a DH and they lose both. 9/19/69

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
            What was the first Mets game you ever attended?
            July 1965. A Saturday afternoon loss to the Phillies. The same weekend Casey Stengel broke his hip and retired.

What sticks out in my mind was that my first game was Oldtimers' Day, which is kind of an ironic way to start. Brooklyn Dodgers vs. NY Giants for two innings (had never heard of either).

Of course, nowadays when you go to a Mets game, you'd never think of the Brooklyn Dodgers...

Comment

Originally posted by Mister B. View Post
              July 1965. A Saturday afternoon loss to the Phillies. The same weekend Casey Stengel broke his hip and retired.

What sticks out in my mind was that my first game was Oldtimers' Day, which is kind of an ironic way to start. Brooklyn Dodgers vs. NY Giants for two innings (had never heard of either).

Of course, nowadays when you go to a Mets game, you'd never think of the Brooklyn Dodgers...
              The 1965 Mets Yearbook was on SNY the other day, and they showed old timers day.

Comment

I can't remember my first day at Shea- it was around 1967 and I didn't know what in hell was going on. I was 6.

Truthfully, my favorite memory came this year. I'll call it the greatest game I've EVER attended - the June game where Jon Niese 1-hit the Padres. The stadium had no more than 7,000 people, but the increasing noise as Niese got groundout after groundout, the LOUD cheer when he led the team out of the dugout to start the 9th inning, and the pie in his face took the cake. The following day, I went to a very crowded and alive Yankee Stadium and saw a great game there too, but despite the scant crowd at Citi Field, the normally horrid team put on quite a show.

Comment

Originally posted by elancaster View Post
                  I can't remember my first day at Shea- it was around 1967 and I didn't know what in hell was going on. I was 6.

Truthfully, my favorite memory came this year. I'll call it the greatest game I've EVER attended - the June game where Jon Niese 1-hit the Padres. The stadium had no more than 7,000 people, but the increasing noise as Niese got groundout after groundout, the LOUD cheer when he led the team out of the dugout to start the 9th inning, and the pie in his face took the cake. The following day, I went to a very crowded and alive Yankee Stadium and saw a great game there too, but despite the scant crowd at Citi Field, the normally horrid team put on quite a show.
                  I was also at that game. Purchased Prom club tickets at 5pm the night before for $6 on the hub as soon the game was announced as a rain out 4:55pm. I got my tickets and then the hub went down. At the game the next night, I announced to anyone around that when the Mets had hit into a triple play (first one I ever saw), that tonight was the night for a no hitter and a guy like Niese (and no a star pitcher) would be the first. Shortly after that, he gave up a hit to RF.....and the usher did not let me forget that all night. We sat in 408 and the prom was pretty empty.

Comment

My FAVORITE memory of going to the game was Game 161 in 2008. Second to last home game at Shea, last win at Shea, Last CG win at Shea. Johan was an absolute BEAST that game. Honestly that's the last time I walked out of any stadium feeling good about the Mets (even after wins). I remember my brother and I being psyched that we won the playoff lottery tickets, and looking foward to the playoff games next weekend...
                    unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
                    unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
                    unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

My NewYork Met memory is kinda goofy buts its one with the Chicago Cubs. Back in the 1980 s, the Cubs used to do these promos vs the Mets to get fans into the rivalry between the Mets and Cubs and theres was this one particular promo they used to do and it was a Chicago Cub fan who hated the Mets so he asked the big question i guess for Chicago Cub fans and that was "What is a Met" and then he would ask fans around town and nobody knew what a Met was. It was a pretty popular promo and i dont think the Cub fans ever figured out what a Met was either.
                      "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

My favorite Mets memory probably wouldn't be well received here.

Comment

Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
                          My NewYork Met memory is kinda goofy buts its one with the Chicago Cubs. Back in the 1980 s, the Cubs used to do these promos vs the Mets to get fans into the rivalry between the Mets and Cubs and theres was this one particular promo they used to do and it was a Chicago Cub fan who hated the Mets so he asked the big question i guess for Chicago Cub fans and that was "What is a Met" and then he would ask fans around town and nobody knew what a Met was. It was a pretty popular promo and i dont think the Cub fans ever figured out what a Met was either.
                          Do you know what a Met is?

Comment

sure it s a Metropolitan, the fans did a vote for the name in a poll conducted by news reporters. I know a few of the names that were in the poll were the Jets and Skyscrapers. In the Cubs promo nobody guessed what a Met was-- basically the Cub fans were making fun of the Mets.
                            "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
                              sure it s a Metropolitan, the fans did a vote for the name in a poll conducted by news reporters. I know a few of the names that were in the poll were the Jets and Skyscrapers. In the Cubs promo nobody guessed what a Met was-- basically the Cub fans were making fun of the Mets.
                              No one has to make fun of Cubs fans, they do it to themselves.

Comment

im trying to find this guy who did those cub promos so i can post it -- it is actually kinda funny tho

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X