X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mandrake
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe Rigatoni View Post
    Yes,I was at the Dykstra game.And Mister B and mandrake thanks for letting us know that
    Jets home games in the 60s were never televised and only on radio.I never knew that.
    I do remember that 1979 was the last year Jets home games were not televised due to
    non-sellouts.
    I am not 100% sure since I wasn't alive, but the 1958 'greatest game" may have been blocked out in NYC on NBC.

I do know that the very first regular season Jets vs Giants game in 1970 at Shea Stadium was televised in NYC. The Giants said it was their road game and the NFL agreed.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Rigatoni
    replied
    Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
    Sounds bad. I might be wrong but weren't you there? At least you knew how it ended.

Not like the Heidi Game.

I wonder if anyone here actually saw that when it first aired?
    Yes,I was at the Dykstra game.And Mister B and mandrake thanks for letting us know that
    Jets home games in the 60s were never televised and only on radio.I never knew that.
    I do remember that 1979 was the last year Jets home games were not televised due to
    non-sellouts.

Leave a comment:

• mandrake
    replied
    Sounds bad. I might be wrong but weren't you there? At least you knew how it ended.

Not like the Heidi Game.

Saw which one? I watched the Dykstra game. I went to games 4 and 5.

As for Heidi, nobody in NYC saw that ending. The Jets got revenge a few weeks later at Shea in the AFL title game.

The Jet playoff games versus the Oakland Raiders in Dec 1968 and the Kansas City Chiefs in Dec 1969 were NOT on TV in NYC. They were on tape delay at midnight. The NFL Blackout rules were not changed until around 1972. People on Long Island, including bars that advertised it, could watch games from New Haven/Hartford with a good antenna.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/23/sp...omir.html?_r=0

Leave a comment:

• Mister B.
    replied

Not like the Heidi Game.

You mean the Heidi game? Yes.

I was watching the Jets game with my dad, and they went to commercial and then started showing this movie at 7PM. I said to my dad, "they're not showing the rest of the game?"

Then I ran to get my portable radio and we listened to WABC-AM as the Jets gave up two touchdowns ln the last minute and a half to lose.

I didn't even think it was that big a deal; all the home games were only on radio so what was the big deal about the last little bit of one road game. Had no idea it would be a major scandal, still discussed many decades later.

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe Rigatoni View Post
    For what it's worth I didn't get a chance to post this until now.
    And I know that we all know the outcome of what happened but it's the principle of it.
    But last Wednesday ESPN Classics did a terrible job of showing Game 3 of the 1986 NLCS
    when Lenny Dykstra hit his game winning two-run homer off of Dave Smith and the Astros
    in the bottom of the ninth to give the Mets a 6-5 victory.
    Because ESPN Classics ran out of time they didn't even show the bottom of the ninth.
    They showed the top of the ninth then they started showing Game 5 of the 1986 ALCS
    between the Red Sox and Angels.
    If ESPN Classics were going to do that why even bother showing that game?
    Or if ESPN Classics were going to show that game and they were going to run out of time
    then do a better job of editing.ESPN Classics should not show parts of the game that
    didn't figure in the scoring or didn't have any standout plays that could have figured in the
    outcome.ESPN Classics then should have made it their business to show the bottom of the
    ninth.
    As Chris "Mad Dog" Russo would say "That was a terrible job!"

Not like the Heidi Game.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Rigatoni
    replied
    For what it's worth I didn't get a chance to post this until now.
    And I know that we all know the outcome of what happened but it's the principle of it.
    But last Wednesday ESPN Classics did a terrible job of showing Game 3 of the 1986 NLCS
    when Lenny Dykstra hit his game winning two-run homer off of Dave Smith and the Astros
    in the bottom of the ninth to give the Mets a 6-5 victory.
    Because ESPN Classics ran out of time they didn't even show the bottom of the ninth.
    They showed the top of the ninth then they started showing Game 5 of the 1986 ALCS
    between the Red Sox and Angels.
    If ESPN Classics were going to do that why even bother showing that game?
    Or if ESPN Classics were going to show that game and they were going to run out of time
    then do a better job of editing.ESPN Classics should not show parts of the game that
    didn't figure in the scoring or didn't have any standout plays that could have figured in the
    outcome.ESPN Classics then should have made it their business to show the bottom of the
    ninth.
    As Chris "Mad Dog" Russo would say "That was a terrible job!"

Leave a comment:

• mandrake
    replied
    Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post
    Yes, I always rooted for guys like Seaver, Staub (best ribs in town, although I like his bar on the east side better than his restaurant on 5th),Mazzilli, Stearns, Allen, Brooks, Reardon, Olerud, Hundley, Floyd, Beltran, Reyes and Dickey. I think if I felt a player played hard I will always root for and respect that player no matter who they play for. Notice Ollie P. did not make the list.

One reason I always liked the Chisox was that they 'gave ' the Mets Tommie Agee, J C Martin, and Al Weiss for the 1969 season. No way that team wins without these 3 guys....a starter and two very key role players.

In return not only did Seaver win his 300th against the Yankees, but he did it with the same Chisox, who had also picked up Jerry Koosman 1981-1983 and got to pitch in the ALCS at the age of 40.

There were also a few guys I could not stand as a Mets player or otherwise....Richie Hebner, Bobby Bonilla, are two that come to mind and I found it tough to 'root' for them. I know they are on the team, but I just didn't like them.

Leave a comment:

• rjsallstars
    replied
    This isn't really a Mets memory exactly, though there are a number of old friends playing:

Seaver was mainly in finesse mode here, though he still had heat when he needed it. What's remarkable about the performance was that he never gave anybody a good pitch to hit.

Did anyone here continue to root for Seaver even after he was on the Reds?

I still loved going to Shea even after the Midnight Massacre. In spite of that I continued to follow players like Seaver, Koosman and the rest of the Mets diaspora.
    Yes, I always rooted for guys like Seaver, Staub (best ribs in town, although I like his bar on the east side better than his restaurant on 5th),Mazzilli, Stearns, Allen, Brooks, Reardon, Olerud, Hundley, Floyd, Beltran, Reyes and Dickey. I think if I felt a player played hard I will always root for and respect that player no matter who they play for. Notice Ollie P. did not make the list.

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied
    This isn't really a Mets memory exactly, though there are a number of old friends playing:

Seaver was mainly in finesse mode here, though he still had heat when he needed it. What's remarkable about the performance was that he never gave anybody a good pitch to hit.

Did anyone here continue to root for Seaver even after he was on the Reds?

I still loved going to Shea even after the Midnight Massacre. In spite of that I continued to follow players like Seaver, Koosman and the rest of the Mets diaspora.

Leave a comment:

• bluesky5
    replied
    I don't think Glavine cared much about being a Met. I think he cared about getting to 300 wins and winning in general. I don't think he didn't give his all. :twocents:

I honestly did like those 2006-2007 Mets teams. Watching them is my favorite Mets memory. I liked that a lot of them went high cuffed often. They had a cool collection of players:

C - Paul Lo Duca is a guy I always liked.
    1B - Carlos Delgado, ^ same.
    2B - Jose Valentin - meh.
    SS - Jose Reyes was/is exciting to watch.
    3B - David Wright is Mr. Met.
    LF - Cliff Floyd - meh.
    CF - Carlos Beltran will probably go in the HoF as a Met.
    RF - Xavier Nady, the X man!

Bench
    Endy Chavez made that great catch, played for the Phils.
    Lastings Milledge, I seem to remember he set the world on fire when he first came up.
    Julio Franco, gotta love the old timers.
    Kaz Matsui, wow, forgot about him! He was supposed to be a big deal.
    Shawn Green, wow he was about done by 33!?
    Rickey Ledee the former Yankee and Phillie, forgot he was with the Mets.
    Eli Marrero, I seem to remember he was a big deal for like a month when he first went to Atlanta from St. Louis.

Staff
    Tom Glavine, I have a soft spot for the Braves, my Pap has been a fan since Boston.
    Steve Trachsel, was he left over from the subway series team?
    Pedro Martinez would have been a real sellout if he signed with the Yankees. I would despise him like no other.
    Orlando Hernandez, always loved El Duque, big leg kick. Was glad to see he got a chance.
    John Maine looked like he had potential there for a while.
    Oliver Perez never quite panned out.
    Jose Lima - RIP, who can forget Lima time!?

Bullpen
    Billy Wagner should go to the HoF. One of the top 3 relievers ever in my opinion.
    Aaron Heilmann used to start, I think.
    Chad Bradford of the submarine delivery.
    Pedro Feliciano did something, I don't know what, but somethin'.
    Duaner Sanchez wore rec specs.
    Darren Oliver is a favorite journeyman.
    Heath Bell was just coming up.
    Roberto Hernandez is pretty high on the all-time saves list.
    Phil Humber threw that perfect game for the White Sox!

C - Paul Lo Duca is a guy I always liked.
    1B - Carlos Delgado, ^ same.
    2B - Luis Castillo was a helluva defender.
    SS - Jose Reyes was/is exciting to watch.
    3B - David Wright is Mr. Met.
    LF - Moises Alou used to pee on his hands to harden them.
    CF - Carlos Beltran will probably go in the HoF as a Met.
    RF - Shawn Green put together a decent little year.

Bench
    Endy Chavez made that great catch, played for the Phils.
    Carlos Gomez was on this team!?
    Lastings Milledge didn't quite pan out.
    Julio Franco got even older!
    Jeff Conine was here!?
    Jose Valentin went to the bench.
    Rickey Ledee the former Yankee and Phillie, forgot he was with the Mets.
    Sandy Alomar Jr. caught 8 games! What!?

Staff
    Tom Glavine, I have a soft spot for the Braves, my Pap has been a fan since Boston.
    Pedro Martinez didn't pitch much this year.
    John Maine had a good year this year.
    Orlando Hernandez, always loved El Duque, big leg kick. Was glad to see he got a chance.
    Oliver Perez had a good year too.
    Doug Pelfrey, whatever happened to him?

Bullpen
    Billy Wagner should go to the HoF. One of the top 3 relievers ever in my opinion.
    Aaron Heilmann used to start, I think.
    Scott Schoenweiss has a really long name.
    Pedro Feliciano did something, I don't know what, but somethin'.
    Joe Smith, real original name buddy.
    Aaron Sele the old Red Sox 1st rounder.
    Ambiorix Burgos tried to murder his ex-wife after he kidnapped her.
    Chan Ho Park was always a favorite too.
    Phil Humber threw that perfect game for the White Sox!
    Jason Vargas has been doing ok.
    Last edited by bluesky5; 01-11-2014, 12:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied
    Originally posted by Mister B. View Post
    I don't think it's a question of "blaming" him for taking the money. But if you do take the money to come here, you need to bring all of it with you: your baseball skills and your heart and soul, so to speak. Like Pedro did. With Pedro you got the feeling he wanted to get paid, but he also wanted to play in New York, he wanted to play for the Mets, he wanted to please Mets fans, and he wanted to represent the city well. With Glavine, his body was here but his heart was in Atlanta. Everything about his words, tone, body language and demeanor always made me feel like he had one foot out the door.

The flip side of him not investing in us emotionally, is that it's hard to invest in him. What goes around, comes around. So, some of us are not inclined to burst with pride that "one of ours" made the HOF, because he never felt like one of ours.

As to your point about Beltran: I agree that compartmentalizing a loss into one pitch is deplorable. A way bigger reason the Mets lost that game is because they got zero hits from innings 2 through 8. Boston blew Game 6 mainly due to giving up three hits and a wild pitch at the worst possible time; Buckner just finished the job. Hell, even Ralph Branca came in with the tying runs on second and third with one out; even a single could have tied the game. So yeah, Beltran took a bad rap. (Wish he'd swung, though.) :joking:
    You pretty much nailed it. Every decent Mets team since 1986 was slapped together out of mercenaries. Some were more into it than others. Glavine was a poster boy for the "We've got so much talent sometimes we get bored" era. Glavine seemed to embody the top down indifference that's been an almost constant irritant for more than 20 years.

Leave a comment:

• Mister B.
    replied
    Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
    I agree with you for the most part. Although I don't think Glavine "took" 5 teams to the WS.

Leave it to Met fans to find a way to knock a pitcher that was signed to the team at the age of 37. Glavine was always a Brave, but the Met fan blames Glavine for taking the money at the age of 37. Not the owner or the GM - its Glavine's fault for taking a big paycheck....of course it is. If Glavine won that last game....you are 100% right it would be a different story. Big IF, but it stands to reason.

Met fans still knock Beltran for striking out in 2006.
    I don't think it's a question of "blaming" him for taking the money. But if you do take the money to come here, you need to bring all of it with you: your baseball skills and your heart and soul, so to speak. Like Pedro did. With Pedro you got the feeling he wanted to get paid, but he also wanted to play in New York, he wanted to play for the Mets, he wanted to please Mets fans, and he wanted to represent the city well. With Glavine, his body was here but his heart was in Atlanta. Everything about his words, tone, body language and demeanor always made me feel like he had one foot out the door.

The flip side of him not investing in us emotionally, is that it's hard to invest in him. What goes around, comes around. So, some of us are not inclined to burst with pride that "one of ours" made the HOF, because he never felt like one of ours.

As to your point about Beltran: I agree that compartmentalizing a loss into one pitch is deplorable. A way bigger reason the Mets lost that game is because they got zero hits from innings 2 through 8. Boston blew Game 6 mainly due to giving up three hits and a wild pitch at the worst possible time; Buckner just finished the job. Hell, even Ralph Branca came in with the tying runs on second and third with one out; even a single could have tied the game. So yeah, Beltran took a bad rap. (Wish he'd swung, though.):joking:
    Last edited by Mister B.; 01-10-2014, 07:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bothrops Atrox
    replied

Speaking of my favorite Met memories.

In the spirit of cooperation, I also like anytime they beat the Phillies. There is something we can all agree with.

Leave a comment:

• Bothrops Atrox
    replied
    I agree with you for the most part. Although I don't think Glavine "took" 5 teams to the WS.

Leave it to Met fans to find a way to knock a pitcher that was signed to the team at the age of 37. Glavine was always a Brave, but the Met fan blames Glavine for taking the money at the age of 37. Not the owner or the GM - its Glavine's fault for taking a big paycheck....of course it is. If Glavine won that last game....you are 100% right it would be a different story. Big IF, but it stands to reason.

Well, no one player takes their whole team. Even though he was the best pitcher for two WS teams before Maddux ever showed up.
    Last edited by Bothrops Atrox; 01-10-2014, 05:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Originally posted by Bothrops Atrox View Post
    Glavine took 5 teams to WS and won one. I'd hardly call that a failure, especially since the playoffs are such a crapshoot. If his goal was to chose a team that would surely protect himself from false-hope disappointment, he definitely did a good job picking the Mets.

Met fans would give anything to go to 11 straight postseasons and win one.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X