Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's a "mean-spirited attack?" This thread is a Daniel Murphy safe space, folks, only good things can be said about Daniel Murphy from now on.

Daniel Murphy has a nice smile.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
      Beyond just the one guy focused on making trouble, there's a tone of nastiness here that's really disturbing.

The failure to retain Murphy resulted from an issue I've complained about for nearly 8 years: an ownership that prioritizes pillage over winning.

I realized advanced numbers showed Murphy's post-season performance was no fluke. Instead of resigning him they acquired Neil Walker for Jon Neise and his below market 3 year contract with team options. So instead of signing Murphy to a modest multi-year deal, they clear out even more potential salary for a rental. They also open up the position for a minimum wage replacement starting next season. Skinflint brilliance but a baseball disaster.

Murphy should have been retained, Neise and Herrera should have traded for upgrades. Instead Murphy was replaced with a downgrade and there were no upgrades.

This was a "win now" team. This bleeding of talent damaged the team's ability to compete this season. Losing the best bat in the league through the second half of June for nothing was a catastrophe.

Nobody's admitted it yet. Fred Wilpon and Sandy Alderson should be getting raked over the coals.

Instead they attack Murphy for being a Christian and me for calling the whole scenario correctly.
      Mongoose - you know I think you are a good fan. You know your stuff and I really have enjoyed either agreeing as well as disagreeing with you. The banter is good.

With that said - In my opinion -- you have brought a lot of this on yourself. Murphy is your favorite player..no doubt and there is nothing wrong with that. The problem is that no matter what happens its a "Murphy can walk on water" view.

For example -- saying "walks are overrated" which indirectly or directly means OBP is overrated. Now we all know that is as far away from true as possible. When you take a negative part of something someone does and bend it make it a positive - it creates an automatic environment of animosity.

You also are constantly in "I told you so" mode. You have said 1000 times about how you called it an how right you are. Yes thus far you called it.....ok so now what? I have been posting on here a long time also, and I have been correct about many many assessments of players - the team - trades they made, and trades they didn't make. I was right....ok so now what? I didn't keep screaming how correct I am or was. Besides sounding like a blow-hard again it creates animosity.

I have said 100 times since April - I rather Murphy still be a Met, but he isn't. They could have sure used his bat the first two months and now that Wright is gone he becomes more valuable, but again he isn't.

If they signed Murphy to a 3 year deal then they don't get Cespedes or Walker which puts them in another bad offensive situation. I much rather that Murphy took the one year deal from the Mets and I GUARANTEE THAT MURPHY IS WISHING THE SAME THING RIGHT NOW.

Either way he isn't here - whether you feel he should be or not...he isn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
        I don't hate Murphy. He is one of my all time favorite Mets.

How do you expect not to get ridiculed when making statements like "the cheap, thieving owners, or egomaniacal fraud of a GM who handed the division to the Nationals"? That is an INSANE statement to make. That is what I mean by you deifying Murphy. You have raised him to a godlike status and all but admitted that you worship the ground he walks on. The Nationals are doing well because they have 3 guys on their team right now who are hitting and 2 pitchers who are having good years and are not as banged up as the Mets. On other words, they are on a hot streak.
        I've been making statements like "the cheap, thieving owners/egomaniacal fraud of a GM" for as long as I've been here. In my opinion to say they're not cheap/thieving is INSANE. That sentiment has nothing to do with Murphy. It involves their stewardship of the team, dealings with Doubleday, the community, their neighbors, the fan base, etc.

All I did was point out that one of the organization's most visible recent disasters - a result of their penny pinching malfeasance and stupidity - greatly benefited the competition.

Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
        It's a "mean-spirited attack?" This thread is a Daniel Murphy safe space, folks, only good things can be said about Daniel Murphy from now on.

Daniel Murphy has a nice smile.
        Pointing out stats is one thing. Using the term "national embarrassment" is a mean-spirited attack.

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
        Mongoose - you know I think you are a good fan. You know your stuff and I really have enjoyed either agreeing as well as disagreeing with you. The banter is good.

With that said - In my opinion -- you have brought a lot of this on yourself. Murphy is your favorite player..no doubt and there is nothing wrong with that. The problem is that no matter what happens its a "Murphy can walk on water" view.

For example -- saying "walks are overrated" which indirectly or directly means OBP is overrated. Now we all know that is as far away from true as possible. When you take a negative part of something someone does and bend it make it a positive - it creates an automatic environment of animosity.

You also are constantly in "I told you so" mode. You have said 1000 times about how you called it an how right you are. Yes thus far you called it.....ok so now what? I have been posting on here a long time also, and I have been correct about many many assessments of players - the team - trades they made, and trades they didn't make. I was right....ok so now what? I didn't keep screaming how correct I am or was. Besides sounding like a blow-hard again it creates animosity.

I have said 100 times since April - I rather Murphy still be a Met, but he isn't. They could have sure used his bat the first two months and now that Wright is gone he becomes more valuable, but again he isn't.

If they signed Murphy to a 3 year deal then they don't get Cespedes or Walker which puts them in another bad offensive situation. I much rather that Murphy took the one year deal from the Mets and I GUARANTEE THAT MURPHY IS WISHING THE SAME THING RIGHT NOW.

Either way he isn't here - whether you feel he should be or not...he isn't.
        Thanks for the kind words.

As for the unkind ones: apparently you didn't notice my post from six years ago where I said the same thing about the value of walks as I said about Murphy a page ago. It involved Jeff Francoeur:

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...85#post1769385

I don't recall it creating any great "environment of animosity" back then.

As for being a "blow-hard" about being right... The cheapskate 2nd base moves embodied everything I despise about ownership and the GM. My reaction is about 30 years of frustration which letting Murphy go symbolizes.

What's more, nobody else has admitted they were wrong yet.

I think the problem is it's easier for some to vent generalized anger about the disaster on Murphy or myself than admit the terminal organizational sickness.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

I think the problem is it's easier for some to vent generalized anger about the disaster on Murphy or myself than admit the terminal organizational sickness.
          LOL, no. Your obsession just borders on pathetic and the resulting posts are reactions to it. There's a world with things that actually matter, step away from baseball, the Mets and Daniel Murphy for a while bro.

Comment

Instead of venting hatred on Murphy why not vent it on the cheap, thieving owners, or egomaniacal fraud of a GM who handed the division to the Nationals?
            What will that solve?

And, congrats to the Nats! I didn't even know that they clinched already.
            Last edited by ipitch; 06-19-2016, 03:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
              LOL, no. Your obsession just borders on pathetic and the resulting posts are reactions to it. There's a world with things that actually matter, step away from baseball, the Mets and Daniel Murphy for a while bro.
              There you are using inflammatory terms again: "obsession", "pathetic". It doesn't help the discussion.

Otherwise... Considering your post count is more than 4X mine, think it's possible there's a bit of projection in your accusations/suggestion?

Comment

I've been making statements like "the cheap, thieving owners/egomaniacal fraud of a GM" for as long as I've been here. In my opinion to say they're not cheap/thieving is INSANE. That sentiment has nothing to do with Murphy. It involves their stewardship of the team, dealings with Doubleday, the community, their neighbors, the fan base, etc.

All I did was point out that one of the organization's most visible recent disasters - a result of their penny pinching malfeasance and stupidity - greatly benefited the competition.

Pointing out stats is one thing. Using the term "national embarrassment" is a mean-spirited attack.

Thanks for the kind words.

As for the unkind ones: apparently you didn't notice my post from six years ago where I said the same thing about the value of walks as I said about Murphy a page ago. It involved Jeff Francoeur:

I don't recall it creating any great "environment of animosity" back then.

As for being a "blow-hard" about being right... The cheapskate 2nd base moves embodied everything I despise about ownership and the GM. My reaction is about 30 years of frustration which letting Murphy go symbolizes.

What's more, nobody else has admitted they were wrong yet.

I didn't realize I was suppose to remember your post from 6 years ago. Seriously?

Who exactly are you waiting to admit they were wrong? Fan, BBF posters, the Mets? Nobody is right about Murphy or wrong about Murphy just yet. There are 90+ games left to play. Yes it looks as though Murphy will have himself his best season without a doubt. Good for him.

I am not sure what you expect to happen if he does indeed continue in a similar fashion. Do you think you will be crowned BBF Champion? You have put to much emphasis on being correct and everyone else being wrong.

Anyway there are 90+ games left. Long way to go.

Comment

You have some serious issues. First off, I do not even know cowtipper or paulypal and can see that neither one was attacking you. Second of all, you expecting anyone here to know or care about what you stated about another player SIX YEARS AGO is pure lunacy. You're one post away from me reporting you to the site admin; forget about a moderator. Walk away from this one. Seriously. Let it rest. You are doing no one any favors with this crazy line of arguing. There is nothing normal or okay about what you have been posting here and you are the only one on the attack.

Comment

apparently you didn't notice my post from six years ago where I said the same thing about the value of walks
                    I think I remember that post. It was your 837th BBF post, and definitely one of your best. It was a Tuesday around 7:30pm or so. Am I thinking of the right one?

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                      I didn't realize I was suppose to remember your post from 6 years ago. Seriously?

Who exactly are you waiting to admit they were wrong? Fan, BBF posters, the Mets? Nobody is right about Murphy or wrong about Murphy just yet. There are 90+ games left to play. Yes it looks as though Murphy will have himself his best season without a doubt. Good for him.

I am not sure what you expect to happen if he does indeed continue in a similar fashion. Do you think you will be crowned BBF Champion? You have put to much emphasis on being correct and everyone else being wrong.

Anyway there are 90+ games left. Long way to go.
                      I agree. There is a long way to go. We'll see how the season unfolds. Murphy had an off day today; just a single. Unfortunately it was as much offense as the whole Mets team could muster this afternoon.

I'd kind of like some of the shrill posters who kept ranting about what garbage Murphy was to admit losing him was a mistake. I guess you could call it closure. I guess it doesn't matter but I'd like Alderson and the Wilpons to get hammered for pinching the wrong pennies. That hasn't happened yet.

As far as the remark about what I said six years ago, I wish you'd read my posts a bit more carefully before responding. You said this:

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                      Isnt that convenient? Murphy doesn't walk or strikeout much. Funny you should have that view.

I actually half agree with you. I don't care what the Saber community says about K's. They are evil.

On the other hand the notion that walks are overrated --- well let me just say that I really hope you were joking. If not - this has deepened the Murphy nonsense. I guess everything Murphy does is undervalued - if he doesn't do something it is on the overrated side of the ledger.
                      Which implied my opinion on walks/OBP was somehow Murphy related. I pointed out I'd been saying the same thing for years:

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
                      The value of walks is very context dependent. I said the same general things regarding Jeff Francoeur nearly six years ago:

The object of baseball is to score runs, not to "not make outs".

This seems to have been forgotten in certain circles.
                      I don't expect you to remember stuff I post six years ago but I'd hope you'd recall I reminded you a day ago. I've had the same opinion for a long time. Because they're context neutral Walks are overvalued in WAR formulations. Has nothing to do with Murphy one way or another. I made the same argument about DiMaggio's 1941 season and Kingman's 1979 season too long before this current "debate".

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
                      You have some serious issues. First off, I do not even know cowtipper or paulypal and can see that neither one was attacking you. Second of all, you expecting anyone here to know or care about what you stated about another player SIX YEARS AGO is pure lunacy. You're one post away from me reporting you to the site admin; forget about a moderator. Walk away from this one. Seriously. Let it rest. You are doing no one any favors with this crazy line of arguing. There is nothing normal or okay about what you have been posting here and you are the only one on the attack.
                      Another one who doesn't bother to read.

Nobody said Paulypal was attacking anyone. He never said I had "some serious issues" or described any posts as "pure lunacy".

If you don't like a thread just don't click on it. No need to get hysterical. No need to post Photoshopped images of Jesus. Why not take your own advice and "walk away from this one. Seriously. Let it rest."

Comment

If you don't like a thread just don't click on it. No need to get hysterical.
                        You are the one who is hysterical and you have this truly bizarre belief that people actually give a crap about whether you are right or wrong in your own mind. Get over yourself. Don't like being ridiculed? Stop posting the same garbage over and over or even better, find another site to troll.

Comment

• Another bad night for Murphy last night, as his OBP continues to plummet, this time to below .400. That's a 28 point drop in just 16 games.

Daniel Murphy: Washington washout.

Comment

• This thread has been getting out of hand. Too many insults, snide remarks and disrespect. That's not what Baseball Fever is about.

This thread is hereby locked.
                            X
                            What's THAT guy doing?
                            - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X