Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you guys be in favor of a Mets rebuild?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you guys be in favor of a Mets rebuild?

After seeing the Mets struggle, choke and a variety of things in the last few years, are you guys in favor of a complete rebuild for home grown talent? I personally feel that we need to build a strong farm system of home grown talent that can produce for us in the future. I know everyone hates that R-Word, but I feel that if this team can rebuild for the next few years, it can contend later on in the decade and win more championships. Do you agree? Thanks!
    Just call me a sports fan.

No. There are enough good players on the team that rebuilding isn't necessary. Teams don't always have to rebuild to become competetive again.
    "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Yes/No. They need to rebuild on some level but not a full salary dump like the 1997 and 2003 Marlins.

I would start by trading K-Rod asap. This team at this point does not in any way need a 12 million dollar a year closer. I would see exactly where we are in July to determine what other parts I would trade. I would keep Wright - Reyes, and Ike. Everyone else and I mean everyone else is tradeable depending on where they are.

Comment

No, not at ALL!

I hate when we despair like this... we have a GREAT core of young players in Reyes/Wright/Beltran/Ike Davis (look at him GO!)/Bay/Francoer/Santana/Pelfrey/Bullpen/K-Rod/At least one of Ollie/Niese/Maine (one's likely to pan out at least...)

We also have long-term depth at catcher in Santos and Thole once Barajas is gone, and Daniel Murphy and Agel Pagan as good bench players long-term.

We need mostly a bit more depth, as we keep having men go down, and another good pitcher; if Pelfrey becomes the man this year as his early start suggests, AND the bottom of the rotation holds up, then we can contend this year, I think, even with the slow start, we can at least make a run...

If not, add a SP for next year, call of Fernando Martinez and get a couple others for bench depth, and 2011 we'll be there...
        "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

The Mets are NOT a bad team.

(Now STar Trek V, THAT'S BAD... watching it right now, I hate watching it, I just do for some reason when I decide to watch the films in order once in a very long while... the series is so good, I is slow but not hprrible, II-IV are gold... and then V is... GAH!!!!!!!!!!)
          "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
            No, not at ALL!

I hate when we despair like this... we have a GREAT core of young players in Reyes/Wright/Beltran/Ike Davis (look at him GO!)/Bay/Francoer/Santana/Pelfrey/Bullpen/K-Rod/At least one of Ollie/Niese/Maine (one's likely to pan out at least...)

We also have long-term depth at catcher in Santos and Thole once Barajas is gone, and Daniel Murphy and Agel Pagan as good bench players long-term.

We need mostly a bit more depth, as we keep having men go down, and another good pitcher; if Pelfrey becomes the man this year as his early start suggests, AND the bottom of the rotation holds up, then we can contend this year, I think, even with the slow start, we can at least make a run...

If not, add a SP for next year, call of Fernando Martinez and get a couple others for bench depth, and 2011 we'll be there...
            I am not advocating for complete destruction, but I feel we need to get more starting pitching to back up Santana, Pelf and Niese. I feel that Matthews Jr, Calanatto, Castillo, Tatis, Green, Maine, and Perez should be gone. I want more starting pitching. I feel we should develop prospects instead of trading them away for free agents. I feel that Mejia should be a starter. He cant not be a reliever when we have Maine pitching this badly.
            Just call me a sports fan.

Comment

Originally posted by AJbaseball00024 View Post
              I am not advocating for complete destruction, but I feel we need to get more starting pitching to back up Santana, Pelf and Niese. I feel that Matthews Jr, Calanatto, Castillo, Tatis, Green, Maine, and Perez should be gone. I want more starting pitching. I feel we should develop prospects instead of trading them away for free agents. I feel that Mejia should be a starter. He cant not be a reliever when we have Maine pitching this badly.
              Well, that's not really rebuilding, then... none of the folks you want gone are essential, they're not Wright or Reyes or Beltran or Santana or Pelfrey...

Of those you mentioned:

-Totally agree on Matthews Jr., I didn't even know why they signed him, Pagan is a great OF backup/starter, and they have Fernando Martinez coming up
              -Catalanotto I don't have a problem with, he's just a bench player, and he doesn't seem to be taking anyone's spot, it's not like I'm saying "Damn Catalanotto, Player X should be there, not him!" Bench spot...
              -Castillo's near retirement, he'll be gone soon anyway
              -Ditto Tatis, he's no youngster or middle-of-career guy, he's an oldie, he'll not be here long
              -Agree on Green, have never liked him out of the bullpen
              -Maine I think would be a great middle reliever, notice he pitches a great inning/two innings and its the rest that's bad... plus with just a couple innings he can throw harder and get his fastall back
              -Ollie's a bottom of the rotation guy, and when he has a bad day its none too good, but when he's on, like @ the Cardinals, he's ON... and that hit-and-miss with a big upside is fine for a #4 or #5 starter

Comment

This team isn't that bad. It isn't that good. Before we blow it up I'd like to take one more shot with a new regime (manager and gm). Even if we went on a sick run like the Indians from "Major League" we'd still have no shot against the Phils or Yanks. We need another starter and Beltran at 100%. With that, we have a chance. Otherwise, we're a 500 team and a first round playoff knockout at best.
                Sign Cespedes & Murphy

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X