Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mets On The March Again... Ike's Army! :D

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mets On The March Again... Ike's Army! :D

    That kid is FANTASTIC!!!

    He's been great, so young, bringing him up... instant offensive infusion!

    Offense... at first base... young... with the Mets?

    What a concept!

    So sound off if you're joining Ike's Army here, and hope that this kid can help the Mets march into the playoffs, they just beat Atlanta and beat them pretty well, Maine was chased but Takahashi filled in so well I think he'll soon replace Maine in the rotation (Maine can be a bullpen pitcher, and a good one, I think) and so that's 5 wins in their last 7 after starting 3-6, now at 8-9 after that terrible start, inching foward... if they can win this series against the Braves and get on the plus side of .500, we might have something cooking, playing struggling LA next and then the Phillies...

    A lot will be learned about the Mets in the next three series.

    And you can bet Ike will be right there in the thick of it!
    "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

  • #2
    I wonder what'll happen when Murphy's healthy. It had better be a trading block.
    Put it in the books.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
      That kid is FANTASTIC!!!

      He's been great, so young, bringing him up... instant offensive infusion!

      Offense... at first base... young... with the Mets?

      What a concept!

      So sound off if you're joining Ike's Army here, and hope that this kid can help the Mets march into the playoffs, they just beat Atlanta and beat them pretty well, Maine was chased but Takahashi filled in so well I think he'll soon replace Maine in the rotation (Maine can be a bullpen pitcher, and a good one, I think) and so that's 5 wins in their last 7 after starting 3-6, now at 8-9 after that terrible start, inching foward... if they can win this series against the Braves and get on the plus side of .500, we might have something cooking, playing struggling LA next and then the Phillies...

      A lot will be learned about the Mets in the next three series.

      And you can bet Ike will be right there in the thick of it!
      I am not sure where the contigency on here that wanted thought Ike in the minors was a good went????? I havent read that in a while.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by milladrive View Post
        I wonder what'll happen when Murphy's healthy. It had better be a trading block.
        Your going to disagree with me as will everyone else, but I would tell Murphy if you want to be a Met your a second baseman. Let him work in AAA taking 1000 groundballs a day. Dig up Doug Flynn and have him work with him. If they can get Murphy to "adequate" at second I would dump Castillo asap. Castillo isnt a the problem here but the added pop at second can only help. Hey look at it this way...Jeff Kent played his whole career as a subpar second sacker and probably is a HOF'er.....yuck. That makes me ill. I am not saying Murphy will be a Kent but pop at that position is a big plus. Murphy as a corner player in the IF or OF is not a good thing.
        Last edited by Paulypal; 04-24-2010, 12:12 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
          Your going to disagree with me as will everyone else, but I would tell Murphy if you want to be a Met your a second baseman. Let him work in AAA taking 1000 groundballs a day. Dig up Doug Flynn and have him work with him. If they can get Murphy to "adequate" at second I would dump Castillo asap. Castillo isnt a the problem here but the added pop at second can only help. Hey look at it this way...Jeff Kent played his whole career as a subpar second sacker and probably is a HOF'er.....yuck. That makes me ill. I am not saying Murphy will be a Kent but pop at that position is a big plus. Murphy as a corner player in the IF or OF is not a good thing.
          Ya know, after reading your words, I'm not sure I'm disagreeing. I guess I'd have a little difficulty wrenching my loyalties from Castillo, if only because I still think his OPS+ and adequate defense is enough to make him a positive contributor. However, if Murphy can learn to play 2B and I don't see the offensive (and perhaps defensive)improvement this season I'd lke to see from Luis, I think I'd be okay with the transition. Murph's got the age advantage, and could probably make a much better secondbaseman than he is a firstbaseman (the latter of whch is, imo, atrocious). My primary concern with Daniel is his OBP. Ten to fifteen dingers a years while carrying a .270 BA, no clutch, and 1 K/per 4 PA's just won't satisfy me. But, like I say, I'm certainly open to the idea. ...especially if some team is willing to pick up the bulk of Luis' contract remainder. Either scenario allows us the window to grab a solid starter.
          Put it in the books.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
            Your going to disagree with me as will everyone else, but I would tell Murphy if you want to be a Met your a second baseman. Let him work in AAA taking 1000 groundballs a day. Dig up Doug Flynn and have him work with him. If they can get Murphy to "adequate" at second I would dump Castillo asap. Castillo isnt a the problem here but the added pop at second can only help. Hey look at it this way...Jeff Kent played his whole career as a subpar second sacker and probably is a HOF'er.....yuck. That makes me ill. I am not saying Murphy will be a Kent but pop at that position is a big plus. Murphy as a corner player in the IF or OF is not a good thing.
            That doesn't sound too bad at all...

            I doubt the Mets will do it, but it sounds like a good idea, Murphy's young and gritty and a good line-drive hitter, no reason to waste that, he'll definitely be either a bench/substitute player like Pagan or platoon for a while at 1st with Ike to settle the kid in more (though he seemes settled already) before becoming a bench player.

            In any case, I DON'T want to see him traded or lost, he's a good hitter and no reason to waste him.
            "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

            Comment


            • #7
              Dan Murphy reminds me of Greg Jefferies in alot of ways. Solid stick, plays hard, doesn't have a position on the field that he can play well. Thank god his personality is the opposite of Jefferies, but thats another subject. I don't see Murphy being capable of being a second sacker.....Maybe I'm wrong, cause he did play infield in the minors but I think that transition to second would have happened awhile ago if Mets brass were comfortable with the idea. Dan's a goner IMHO.
              New York (N.L.)
              1888, 1889, 1904, 1905, 1911, 1912, 1913, 1917, 1921, 1922, 1923, 1924, 1933, 1936, 1937, 1951, 1954, 1969, 1973, 1986, 2000

              Brooklyn (N.L.)
              1890, 1899, 1900, 1916, 1920, 1941, 1947, 1949, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956

              New York (A.A.) 1884 Brooklyn (A.A.) 1889

              Comment


              • #8
                Well, if you guys are so much in love with this Ike Davis fella, I've got something for you...



                ...the first pitch of Ike Davis' very first Major League at bat (a called strike from Chicago's Randy Wells).
                X
                What's THAT guy doing?
                - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by StrawberryField View Post
                  Dan Murphy reminds me of Greg Jefferies in alot of ways. Solid stick, plays hard, doesn't have a position on the field that he can play well. Thank god his personality is the opposite of Jefferies, but thats another subject. I don't see Murphy being capable of being a second sacker.....Maybe I'm wrong, cause he did play infield in the minors but I think that transition to second would have happened awhile ago if Mets brass were comfortable with the idea. Dan's a goner IMHO.
                  Why not keep him as a bench bat/late game sub?

                  Don't start him and have issues like with Jeffries, sort of the Angel Pagan to Ike's Carlos Beltran- a good bat and fill in, but probably don't want him starting fullt-me (though to his credit I'll take Pagan as a starter 10x over before Murphy now we have Ike...)
                  "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by milladrive View Post
                    I wonder what'll happen when Murphy's healthy. It had better be a trading block.
                    Plays anywhere but 1B.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I was one of those people who was worried that they were jumping the gun on Ike. After week one I look pretty foolish and at any rate he has already contributed more than Tatis and Jacobs did combined prior to that.
                      As for Murphy, I know after 2008 I think the plan before he got hurt was to have him play 2B in the winter somewhere so it seems like time to resurrect that plan.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
                        I was one of those people who was worried that they were jumping the gun on Ike. After week one I look pretty foolish and at any rate he has already contributed more than Tatis and Jacobs did combined prior to that.
                        As for Murphy, I know after 2008 I think the plan before he got hurt was to have him play 2B in the winter somewhere so it seems like time to resurrect that plan.
                        Not all is well with Ike Davis however. At the moment he has 7 Ks in 22 ABs. I know that's a really small sample, but a 1: 3 K to AB ratio is abysmal. He had a 1: 4 ratio in the minors for his career, and historically, very few power hitters improve their K/AB ratios from the minors to the majors. Also, at some point the pitchers will figure him out and begin to exploit holes in his swing. At that point, Davis is going to have to adjust...it might get ugly at some point.

                        BTW, a bad K/AB ratio doesn't mean he can't hit .270 to .300 because if his BaBiP is high enough, he can. See David Wright's 2009 season as a perfect example. Wright K'd 140 times, but his BaBiP was over .390.

                        Last year the Mets had the fewest strikeouts in the Majors. This season, with Wright, Bay, Franceur, and Davis, the Mets will probably finish near the top.

                        I don't think Murphy can ever play 2B, he lacks the athleticism and range. It was a failed experiment in the AFL a couple of years ago. Murphy looked pretty good at 1B this spring. I'd like to see him go down to AAA and work on his OF defense. Ultimately I think he can raise his stock as a 1B/OF/DH and be used in part in a trade for a decent pitcher or whatever the Mets need.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
                          I was one of those people who was worried that they were jumping the gun on Ike. After week one I look pretty foolish and at any rate he has already contributed more than Tatis and Jacobs did combined prior to that.
                          As for Murphy, I know after 2008 I think the plan before he got hurt was to have him play 2B in the winter somewhere so it seems like time to resurrect that plan.
                          Well, we all want Davis to be the real deal. Remember, people had Mike Vail going to the HOF after 23 games ! So let's give Ike some time, good bad or indifferent. If he hits arough stretch of 0 for 18, let's not start with the 'send him down' stuff.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ReyesOfHope View Post
                            I don't think Murphy can ever play 2B, he lacks the athleticism and range. It was a failed experiment in the AFL a couple of years ago. Murphy looked pretty good at 1B this spring. I'd like to see him go down to AAA and work on his OF defense. Ultimately I think he can raise his stock as a 1B/OF/DH and be used in part in a trade for a decent pitcher or whatever the Mets need.
                            Originally posted by mandrake View Post
                            Well, we all want Davis to be the real deal. Remember, people had Mike Vail going to the HOF after 23 games ! So let's give Ike some time, good bad or indifferent. If he hits arough stretch of 0 for 18, let's not start with the 'send him down' stuff.
                            I tend to agree with both of these remarks.

                            Since Reyes joined the lineup -- btw, until further notice, I'm just fine with Hozee hitting #3 -- the team's spirit seems to be a bit higher.

                            As for Davis, I'm going with face value at the moment. Putting aside his K/PA ratio, his presence, too, has picked things up bit. As was said on the FAN last night, "Just open the window and let in a refreshing breeze of Davis." Besides, for real, do we really think Ike playing at the top level this year will stunt his talents forecast for the next two decades? At the moment, I would think we'd be doing 2010 a real disservice sending him away, and Murphy should prepare for a stint in another role.
                            Put it in the books.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by mandrake View Post
                              Well, we all want Davis to be the real deal. Remember, people had Mike Vail going to the HOF after 23 games ! So let's give Ike some time, good bad or indifferent. If he hits arough stretch of 0 for 18, let's not start with the 'send him down' stuff.
                              But did you know that Mike Vail batted .318 and .335 in consecutive years after being dealt from the Mets -- though in just +/- 200 ABs each season.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X