No announcement yet.

Mets On The March Again... Ike's Army! :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Vail was just an example. I'm pretty sure I had Benny Ayala heading to the Hall after a few early at-bats. lol. I think the the primary point was that we fickle armchair Met GM's are constantly thinking either Cooperstown or Buffalo.

In all fairness, none of our examples was ever touted as "the next so-and-so," and the entire sports community anticipates Ike Davis to play professional baseball until he's in the vacinity of age 40. If he twists his ankle playing b-ball in the offseason, he/we may not get he/we anticipate. Perhaps we'll trade him to the Rangers for Jim Fregosi. Anything can happen. But just as sure as we're booing David Wright at present, I think we should allow the Ikester to hone his skills on the Mets, even if he offensively slumps a little.

I don't like ot back away from that with which I initially agreed, but to be honest, I was focusing more on the comment about Murphy not having the stuff to make a GG secondbaseman. But the more I hear about both these fellas working on their outfield skills, the more apprehensive I'm getting. Neither one of them, imho, should have anything to do with the outfield right now. Let Davis be a firstbaseman. That what he is, at least until his quads won't allow him to make the stretches anymore. Figure about ten-or-so years into the future. We also currently have enough outfield talent to make Murphy's place out there moot. Jason and Jeff are the corners. Are we moving them? No. But Murphy can't outdo even Mathews defensively in CF.

Now, if we're considering honing Murphy in a corner OF spot so his trade value rises, then that's one thing. But at this point on the 2010 Mets, 2B belongs to Castillo. My thoughts were to either teach Murph to play 2B -- face it, he's not getting 1B back -- in order to save some money on Castillo's contract if another team wants him. But then you raised the valid point of Murphy not being defensively versatile enough to hone 2B. With that I agreed. And I probably still do. So, unless the motivation is to make Murph look liker he can play OF for another team, I'd give up on the thought of either Davis or Murphy working out there.

So, what I'm saying is that either we keep Castillo, who can hit .300 and play an above-average 2B, while using Murphy to get a starter. OR, we take the drop defensively, put Murph at 2B, and let Castillo's contract help us buy a starter. After all, Murph still has more pop in his bat than Luis. But either way, I think the focus should be on picking up another solid starter. Been shouting this from the rooftops since December.

So far, we've been getting more than we ever expected from our rotation (and, if I may add, our bullpen). But how long can that hold up on a consistent basis? As I say, Maine can go to the pen if Gee shows some promise in a few Bison starts, but sadly, the most ridiculous contract in our rotation is our #5. We're stuck with our fingers crossed every fifth day. I think it'd be prudent of Omar to use the player who will not be playing 2B to help in a deal for another starter.

My lengthy :twocents:.
    Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
      I think Vail was just an example. I'm pretty sure I had Benny Ayala heading to the Hall after a few early at-bats. lol. I think the the primary point was that we fickle armchair Met GM's are constantly thinking either Cooperstown or Buffalo.

In all fairness, none of our examples was ever touted as "the next so-and-so," and the entire sports community anticipates Ike Davis to play professional baseball until he's in the vacinity of age 40. If he twists his ankle playing b-ball in the offseason, he/we may not get he/we anticipate. Perhaps we'll trade him to the Rangers for Jim Fregosi. Anything can happen. But just as sure as we're booing David Wright at present, I think we should allow the Ikester to hone his skills on the Mets, even if he offensively slumps a little.

I don't like ot back away from that with which I initially agreed, but to be honest, I was focusing more on the comment about Murphy not having the stuff to make a GG secondbaseman. But the more I hear about both these fellas working on their outfield skills, the more apprehensive I'm getting. Neither one of them, imho, should have anything to do with the outfield right now. Let Davis be a firstbaseman. That what he is, at least until his quads won't allow him to make the stretches anymore. Figure about ten-or-so years into the future. We also currently have enough outfield talent to make Murphy's place out there moot. Jason and Jeff are the corners. Are we moving them? No. But Murphy can't outdo even Mathews defensively in CF.

Now, if we're considering honing Murphy in a corner OF spot so his trade value rises, then that's one thing. But at this point on the 2010 Mets, 2B belongs to Castillo. My thoughts were to either teach Murph to play 2B -- face it, he's not getting 1B back -- in order to save some money on Castillo's contract if another team wants him. But then you raised the valid point of Murphy not being defensively versatile enough to hone 2B. With that I agreed. And I probably still do. So, unless the motivation is to make Murph look liker he can play OF for another team, I'd give up on the thought of either Davis or Murphy working out there.

So, what I'm saying is that either we keep Castillo, who can hit .300 and play an above-average 2B, while using Murphy to get a starter. OR, we take the drop defensively, put Murph at 2B, and let Castillo's contract help us buy a starter. After all, Murph still has more pop in his bat than Luis. But either way, I think the focus should be on picking up another solid starter. Been shouting this from the rooftops since December.

So far, we've been getting more than we ever expected from our rotation (and, if I may add, our bullpen). But how long can that hold up on a consistent basis? As I say, Maine can go to the pen if Gee shows some promise in a few Bison starts, but sadly, the most ridiculous contract in our rotation is our #5. We're stuck with our fingers crossed every fifth day. I think it'd be prudent of Omar to use the player who will not be playing 2B to help in a deal for another starter.

My lengthy :twocents:.
      Milla,

19 games in and I am shocked at the SP results. With that said in the 19 game starts the starters have 94 innings (I am not counting Pelf's save appearance.) thats 5 innings a start on average. That is laying an ass whoopin on the bullpen. Eventually it will all catch up. We are going to have to start eating innings or the bullpen will be burned out by July.

Murphy can possibly supply part of the answer in a package deal. Problem is Murphy himself wont reel in a quality starter so I think he will have to be packaged.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
        Milla,

19 games in and I am shocked at the SP results. With that said in the 19 game starts the starters have 94 innings (I am not counting Pelf's save appearance.) thats 5 innings a start on average. That is laying an ass whoopin on the bullpen. Eventually it will all catch up. We are going to have to start eating innings or the bullpen will be burned out by July.

Murphy can possibly supply part of the answer in a package deal. Problem is Murphy himself wont reel in a quality starter so I think he will have to be packaged.
        Pauly, I've long had no doubt that as one mind, you and I would make the best GM the Mets have ever had. No doubt whatsoever. I just know we'd hit that high note.

Oh man, I so don't wanna go through today's itinerary. heh.
        Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
          Pauly, I've long had no doubt that as one mind, you and I would make the best GM the Mets have ever had. No doubt whatsoever. I just know we'd hit that high note.

Oh man, I so don't wanna go through today's itinerary. heh.
          I am not sure how good we would do but we would have great seats while it lasted. Brother Raccoon.

Comment

Gary, Ron, and Keith touched on what the Mets will do with Murphy now that Ike owns 1B. They even briefly thought about training him for 2B. The end result? They think he'll make great trade bait. I propose they be part of our best-ever GM team.

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
            I am not sure how good we would do but we would have great seats while it lasted. Brother Raccoon.
            Norton.................. ...Woowoo.
            Put it in the books.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X