The Worth of Murph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Worth of Murph

Figured I'd hustle this topic over from Ike's thread. Ike deserves his own.

The question being, what do the Mets do with Daniel Murphy when he's healthy and ready to play?

Knowing we need another starter, and surmising his value may never be higher, I personally think he should be a cog in a key trade. A trade which may very well be just what we need to sustain contention.

We could save some payroll and use Luis in that trade, but frankly, Murph's fielding abilities are already in question. Raising that question at a brand new position may not be worth the energy nor the money saved.

So, I stick with the former option. Murph will be able to play regular 1B with another team, and the Mets can get the starter they so sorely need.

Just thinkin'.
    Put it in the books.

I'd be open to trading him, the only problem is his value is not the greatest right now. I could see them sending him down. I think putting him on the bench will be detrimental to him, and I don't think Ike is going anywhere. I would say to release/outright Matthews, and keep Murphy as a reserve OF, but Murphy's defense is brutal in the OF making him a liability as an extra OF, as he cant be called on for late-inning defense. I say send him down where he can play everyday, and hope he mashes in Buffalo, thereby increasing his trade value. His trade value will suffer on our bench, and he is still young enough to be considered a prospect.
    unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
    unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
    unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

Daniel who?

Comment

Originally posted by EasilyFound View Post
        Daniel who?
        Lemme tell y'all something about this Daniel Murphy boy... he's a pip. A real Pipp.
        X
        What's THAT guy doing?
        - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

Originally posted by theAmazingMet View Post
          I'd be open to trading him, the only problem is his value is not the greatest right now. I could see them sending him down. I think putting him on the bench will be detrimental to him, and I don't think Ike is going anywhere. I would say to release/outright Matthews, and keep Murphy as a reserve OF, but Murphy's defense is brutal in the OF making him a liability as an extra OF, as he cant be called on for late-inning defense. I say send him down where he can play everyday, and hope he mashes in Buffalo, thereby increasing his trade value. His trade value will suffer on our bench, and he is still young enough to be considered a prospect.
          Send him down to AAA, let him play the OF and some 1B. Increase his value as a 1B/OF/DH and deal him in part for a pitcher at the July 31 trade deadline. This would give Ike Davis time enough to get in 400 ABs and demonstrate whether he can make the adjustments necessary when the pitchers adjust to him. I'd hate to deal Murphy prematurely, only to have Davis slump badly when/if the league has him scouted.

Comment

I like Murphy, and I really think they should keep him on as a bench/role/spare player.

These are the METS, guys... our beloved Mets, but we know, from recent experience- HAVE SPARE PARTS HANDY! :/

Good bat, good enough PH... and Ike as a rookie might struggle at some time during the season, maybe at a crucial point- you don't think we maybe shouldn't have a backup on standby?
            "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

I feel we could send him down to learn second base. We can lose hit bat in the lineup. Castillo is getting old. We need a new, ball driving second baseman.
              Just call me a sports fan.

Comment

Originally posted by AJbaseball00024 View Post
                I feel we could send him down to learn second base. We can lose hit bat in the lineup. Castillo is getting old. We need a new, ball driving second baseman.
                It likely isn't happening. Murphy was reportedly a butcher when they tried him at 2B in the Arizona Fall League. I'd bet for sure he at least lacks the range necessary to play the position.

If you are hoping for a 2Bman that can possibly pound the ball, then cross your fingers for Reese Havens. Havens is still in Extended Spring Training because of an oblique injury, but he will likely be assigned to Binghamton eventually this season.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X