The SNY/WPIX graphics bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The SNY/WPIX graphics bar

I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind the graphics bar during Mets games on SNY and PIX. Perhaps someone can explain it.

First, and most ostentatiously, I'm bewildered by having home plate as one of the bases included in the graphics. ...as if someone will be standing on home plate awaiting another batter to score them from home. Really, is anyone waiting on home plate to score on another batter's performance? Having four bases sticks out like a sore thumb, since home plate juts down below the bar.

But then, to put salt on the thoughtlessness, the team logos on the left are cropped within the their respective boxes. I don't get it.

I suggest eliminating home plate from the graphics, thus enabling the three bases to fit nicely within the bar. And, as any computer programmer knows, it takes a mere tweak to allow the team logos to be separated from their restrictive boxes and allowed to be shown in full outside the boxes. And, hah, lo'n'behold, without cropping the logos, they'd still not interfere with the dimensions of the bar itself.

Anyone from SNY/PIX reading this? I first noticed it last season, but I gave you the benefit of the doubt that you'd tweak it by this season. Hasn't happened. Yet. What say you put your designers back to work for 45 seconds to fix these two on-my-nerves eyesores?
    Put it in the books.

I personally would love to see them show the pitch count, alot like YES and NESN.
    Just call me a sports fan.

Comment

it's funny, I remember growing up and the score was never on the screen.....so when you turned on the game already playing...you had no idea what the score was until either Kiner/McCarver said it or the inning was over haha.

I think they starting doing it right around 1997 maybe?? 98? something like that.
      "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Comment

Is this on the level? A thread complaining about the graphics bar?

Comment

I don't like the use of the team logos to indicate the teams in the "Fox Box" (it was Fox who pioneered the on-screen score graphics). Straight text is fine.

I liked it when SNY's "Fox Box" was a "homer" by showing the Mets as METS instead of NY or NYM.
          X

Comment

For me, less is more. I still miss the good old days when the major networks displayed graphics only when necessary during a game. Sure wish it were like that now.

I also miss Cossell, Garagiola, Kubek, Drysdale, et. al.
            Last edited by Let's Go Mets!; 06-26-2010, 12:03 AM.
            Let's Go Mets!
            New York Mets fan since 1962

Comment

Originally posted by AJbaseball00024 View Post
              I personally would love to see them show the pitch count, alot like YES and NESN.
              Not being a big fan of pitch counts, I can't say I'm in favor of this idea.

Originally posted by EasilyFound View Post
              Is this on the level? A thread complaining about the graphics bar?
              As on the level as the sea. Hey, I offered some constructive solutions. And it's been perplexin' me for a year and a half. I'd be more surprised it took me this long to post about it.
              Put it in the books.

Comment

Hey, I offered some constructive solutions. And it's been perplexin' me for a year and a half. I'd be more surprised it took me this long to post about it.
                When I saw your post, I immediately thought it was an interesting topic.

The entire, extra long, graphics bar running on the top of the screen, cutting off heads, pitches, etc. always bothered me. It's good to see that the Yankees "compacted" it this year.
                Let's Go Mets!

Comment

Originally posted by Let's Go Mets! View Post
                  When I saw your post, I immediately thought it was an interesting topic.

The entire, extra long, graphics bar running on the top of the screen, cutting off heads, pitches, etc. always bothered me. It's good to see that the Yankees "compacted" it this year.
                  Thank you, LGM!.

And I agree about the Yanks graphics. Even if I'm not a fan of the pitch-count stat, I think they did a decent job at, as you say, compacting it this season. As AJ alluded, other networks -- even the national networks -- have made it less intrusive than in previous seasons.

Personally, I'm okay with the Mets graphics, per se. It's just that I don't get why they'd include home plate, yet crop the logos of the teams. It's just odd is all, especially since it's such an easy tweak.
                  Put it in the books.

Comment

Why home plate? Probably for the aesthetics.

My frustration with the "Fox Box" is the constant toggling between ball-strike count and pitch speed. Ball-strike count is important and should be on screen constantly. Pitch speed is not as important, at least not to me.

I agree that the "Fox Box" should be restricted to one corner of the screen, not spread across the top.
                    X

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                      Why home plate? Probably for the aesthetics.
                      Well, I find it aesthetically displeasing, especially since it extends below the bar.

My frustration with the "Fox Box" is the constant toggling between ball-strike count and pitch speed. Ball-strike count is important and should be on screen constantly. Pitch speed is not as important, at least not to me.
                      This I wholeheartedly agree with. I see the pitch speed, then it can be nearly two seconds before the ball-strike count returns. This too makes one wonder why they've decided to use the same space for both, what with all that extra space home plate takes up. heh
                      Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                        I agree that the "Fox Box" should be restricted to one corner of the screen, not spread across the top.
                        The "Fox Box" ("Less is More") is my current preference. I was sorry when Fox dropped it and switched to the annoying long graphics bar.

As I said, it's good to see the Yanks--and hopefully others--drop it.

Also, if the long bar must be used, my opinion is the bottom of the screen would be a better choice.
                        Last edited by Let's Go Mets!; 06-26-2010, 11:53 AM.
                        Let's Go Mets!

Comment

Some programmer probably figured that the fancier it is, the more he get paid.

Comment

How much crap do we really need on the screen...really? If your watching the game did you forget the score....did you forget the inning? Do you really need to know that someone has 36 pitches thrown in the 3rd inning. I hate the pitch count on YES. Although on YES you have the pitch count and Bullwinkle Kaye telling you every 30 seconds anyway. What a moron. The only thing that has any value is the count on the batter. If you watch the game...really watch it - its interesting the way pitchers pitch to batters based upon the count. So that can be somewhere.

As far as the rest of the info maybe they can put it up in between batters and in between innings.
                            Last edited by Paulypal; 06-26-2010, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                              As far as the rest of the info maybe they can put it up in between batters and in between innings.
                              I agree. I recently watched the 1986 World Series DVD set and it was a pleasure to view without the constant overload of graphics obliterating the screen.
                              Let's Go Mets!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X