Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With Torre Leaving The Dodgers, Should The Mets Try And Get Him?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With Torre Leaving The Dodgers, Should The Mets Try And Get Him?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/18/sp...l/18torre.html

So Torre's done in Los Angeles after 3 years (and according to SportsCenter right now it's really because of the ownership mess...well, at least we're not the ONLY team with that issue.)

IF Torre decides to manage again (he could very well choose to retire...all those pennants and rings with the Yankees and a playoff appearance with the Dodgers, a HOFer, probably a Top 10, maybe Top 5 manager...that's a pretty good reason to say "Yep, I was pretty good and I'm done--wannna question that?") should the Mets make an offer for him?

My take?

Y. E. S.

IF he wants to manage some more (see above) then I think the Mets should make an offer, and I mean make a full-court press, a hUGE PUSH for him, I'm of the position with a more competent manager we've 5-10 more wins and, while maybe not a playoff team this year, we ARE in contention and at least not an embarrassment...and with Torre, who knows?

It's going back to NYC, back where he played as a player...and the Mets NEED HIM.

That could be the biggest offseason addition they make--and it'd be a HUGE one, make no mistake, he and Bobby Cox are probably the best managers of their era (with a few others in there, huge love for Ozzie and Sweet Lou.)

They should.
    Yes.
    Oh yes.

If he wants to manage, they should offer him anything he possibly wants...get Torre!
    YES! He's the kind of manager we NEED, and with a better manager we're at least in the mix!
    33.33%
    NO! A Yankee AND Dodger...we don't need a new manager, or at least not Torre!
    66.67%
    "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Also, a quick note:

MATTINGLY is replacing him in Los Angeles?

Someone not taken from NYC or another city can't work?

See why I hate Los Angeles?

Torre/Mattingly stolen from NYC (and even Vin Scully and Lasorda from Brooklyn, but they've been in LA forever, so they can get a pass...still...)
    Phil Jackson taken from Chicago.
    TWO football teams gone due to a blase attitude...
    Even in hockey...remember the uproar in Canada when the Kings stole Gretzky?
    "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

I don't think Joe Torre is the right manager for the Mets. Remember how they did in 1977-1981?

Comment

Absolutely not.

Comment

Originally posted by NJMetfan4life View Post
          I don't think Joe Torre is the right manager for the Mets. Remember how they did in 1977-1981?
          No--My parents would barely have been out of High School...so I don't have a lot of Met Memories from those days

Comment

The fact that he was with the Yankees and Dodgers is irrelevant. He's a lousy manager and needs to hang it up. Though I wouldn't be outright opposed to him for 1 year. He would bring some stability.
            "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

No. Torre is not the right fit. Whether or not Torre was a Dodger or Yankee is irrelevant. Who cares? But wait! Before Torre was a Yankee, Dodger, or Braves manager, he was with the Mets as a player and manager, so....uh....

Originally posted by NYMets523 View Post
              The fact that he was with the Yankees and Dodgers is irrelevant. He's a lousy manager and needs to hang it up. Though I wouldn't be outright opposed to him for 1 year. He would bring some stability.
              If Torre was in for just a year, how would that bring stability, and in what manner does Manuel "destabilize" the team, that Torre would stabilize?
              Last edited by Dugmet; 09-17-2010, 06:21 PM.

Comment

I thought Torre was retiring after this season?

And LOL at Mattingly replacing him. I feel bad for the Dodgers.

Comment

I've never felt Torre was a difference-maker, the kind of manager who brought "5-10 extra wins a year." He's never really been known for his strategic sense or his field generalship.

Over time he acquired gravitas and respect, but still, he was largely in the right place at the right time with that Yankee dynasty.

I'm a Bobby V fan. He can get more out of less, as seen in 1999.

Comment

no

im sure he is a very nice man and he was a hell of a player.....but in my opinion he was a "right place at the right time" kind of manager. When he had little talent....his teams were awful......when he had top of the line talent, his teams were great
                    "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Comment

Originally posted by VIBaseball View Post
                      I've never felt Torre was a difference-maker, the kind of manager who brought "5-10 extra wins a year." He's never really been known for his strategic sense or his field generalship.

Over time he acquired gravitas and respect, but still, he was largely in the right place at the right time with that Yankee dynasty.

I'm a Bobby V fan. He can get more out of less, as seen in 1999.

I like Bobby V as much as the next guy, but with all due respect.....that 99 team was ALOTTT more talented than alot of people give it credit for.
                      "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Comment

Originally posted by m8644 View Post
                        I like Bobby V as much as the next guy, but with all due respect.....that 99 team was ALOTTT more talented than alot of people give it credit for.
                        Or in 2000. Do people forget the Mets had 94 wins going in to the playoffs and that the NYY slumped in September and went in at 87-74. The Mets had plenty of chances in the 2000 WS too....

And guess who had the best AL record that year? With 95 wins....the Chicago White Sox under our friend Jerry at the helm.....promptly swept by Seattle.

Give Joe Torre credit. He won 4 times in 5 seasons. I don't care what lineup he had. How about his 95 win 2001 NYY team smashing Seattle and their 116 win team ? Or was Seattle the heavy underdog.

What about the 1996 Yankees coming back from 2-0 to crush the Braves?

Joe Torre (a NY Giants baseball fan from Brooklyn) was out of baseball, seemingly exiled and out of chances in 1985, was given a TV job by Angels owner Gene Autry. It kept him in baseball and to this day, Torre always thanks him and gives him credit for saving his baseball career.

But Joe is not the right guy for the Mets. He is headed to Cooperstown and should sit back and enjoy life.

Comment

Originally posted by NYMets523 View Post
                          Having a "lousy manager" here on a one year basis would bring some stability? How's that?
                          Last edited by Mongoose; 09-18-2010, 07:01 AM.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

I'd rather the Mets not go down the Joe Torre road, BUT he is not a lousy manager. 4 championships in 5 years, and one inning away from 4 titles in a row!!! Being a great manager involves more than tactical decisions. Things like running a good clubhouse, keeping players focused, motivated and relaxed, dealing with the press and probably a multitude of other things that we aren't even aware of. I guess Casey Stengal was a lousy manager as well, cause he was in the right place at the right time, and his less talented teams stunk. Dodgers go 20 years without playing in the NLCS....Joe Torre shows up and they make the LCS two years in a row....that doesn't happen by accident.
                            New York (N.L.)
                            1888, 1889, 1904, 1905, 1911, 1912, 1913, 1917, 1921, 1922, 1923, 1924, 1933, 1936, 1937, 1951, 1954, 1969, 1973, 1986, 2000

Brooklyn (N.L.)
                            1890, 1899, 1900, 1916, 1920, 1941, 1947, 1949, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956

New York (A.A.) 1884 Brooklyn (A.A.) 1889

Comment

Originally posted by m8644 View Post
                              The infield was terrific. The outfield was a patchwork, but just productive enough. The starting pitching: take another look, I was surprised by how mediocre the performance was in retrospect. The bullpen did a good job.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X