This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010/11 Mets Offseason Thread

Though Omar could stay in some capacity if the new GM wants him.

Now waiting to see who is hired.

Thank goodness Omar used his head and knew that to stay on with a new GM above him he would be looking over his shoulder.

The Wilpons say that they will be assist the new GM with the hiring of a new manager... Please guys, if you get a GM that knows baseball let him re-build this team on his own merit, or least without your meddling!
    Fan of The NY Mets!

Comment

2010/11 Mets Offseason Thread

Discuss all things relevant to the offseason here. I guess we can start with new manager and GM speculation.
      unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
      unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
      unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

It doesn't matter who they name if Fred and Jeff are gonna continue to wanna be involved. I mean either name yourself GM or shut up and make sure the check doesn't bounce. The meddling never works (or almost never).

Comment

Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
          It doesn't matter who they name if Fred and Jeff are gonna continue to wanna be involved. I mean either name yourself GM or shut up and make sure the check doesn't bounce. The meddling never works (or almost never).
          I agree, and have said so often. It is because of this I think an Alderson, Hunsicker, or John Hart would be better as our new GM. If the new GM is close to Jeff in age then he may become a puppet. Someone older, and industry respected could hopefully keep Jeffrey in check, and become his own man, so to speak.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck The Mets Fan! View Post
            Thank goodness Omar used his head and knew that to stay on with a new GM above him he would be looking over his shoulder.

The Wilpons say that they will be assist the new GM with the hiring of a new manager... Please guys, if you get a GM that knows baseball let him re-build this team on his own merit, or least without your meddling!
            01. Sandy Alderson
            02. Profit!

Comment

In an interview on WFAN, one of the Wilpons was asked if they would give the GM independence to hire a manager. One of the answers was that the owners reserved the right to ask the GM to "rethink" the hiring of anyone whom the owners believed was contrary to the culture of the organization. I thought that was pretty funny.

Comment

Originally posted by EasilyFound View Post
                In an interview on WFAN, one of the Wilpons was asked if they would give the GM independence to hire a manager. One of the answers was that the owners reserved the right to ask the GM to "rethink" the hiring of anyone whom the owners believed was contrary to the culture of the organization. I thought that was pretty funny.
                It is quite amusing. Exactly what "culture" do the Mets have? That of yes men, and convienient puppets? Again the Wilpons can't help themselves. Hire a baseball man to do his job, and don't micromanage. Apparently that is too much to ask? What serious GM candidate wants to work for an ownership that will void their decisions and do what they want anyway?

Comment

LET THE CELEBRATION BEGIN!

Yes, no guarantees on who'll replace them, but at least THEY'RE gone...now just dump Maine, Perez, and Castillo and we'll be rid of the worst bits of our baggage...
                  "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
                    LET THE CELEBRATION BEGIN!

Yes, no guarantees on who'll replace them, but at least THEY'RE gone...now just dump Maine, Perez, and Castillo and we'll be rid of the worst bits of our baggage...
                    I agree with you. There is no way these guys can be back next year. Especially Perez. Besides being a horrible pitcher he was actually an embarassment to the organization by not going down to the minors. He should have been released.

Comment

Everyone: I remember reading someplace a suggestion of Kevin Towers as the new Mets GM and Lee Mazzilli as the new manager...quite an interesting thought!

Can this be the change that Met fans can believe in for starters? I thought right that Omar's job was in jeopardy and that Jerry Manuel would not be offered another contract...

Everyone knows that changes must be made...can this be a major start?

LI MIKE

Comment

Originally posted by Long Island Mike View Post
                        Everyone: I remember reading someplace a suggestion of Kevin Towers as the new Mets GM and Lee Mazzilli as the new manager...quite an interesting thought!

Can this be the change that Met fans can believe in for starters? I thought right that Omar's job was in jeopardy and that Jerry Manuel would not be offered another contract...

Everyone knows that changes must be made...can this be a major start?

LI MIKE
                        Unfortunately for Met fans Omar/Jerry getting fired it will mean nothing if Jeff doesnt keep his hands off.

If read between the lines in recent interviews and post interview/interviews the company line is not going change much. Jeff can say what he wants but the GM is not picking the manager with any kind of autonomy.

Comment

I don't care how poorly they do in 2011... just as long as there is a plan. The last time I've been optimistic about this franchise was the last time they were looking for a GM... And then they hired Omar. Omar's body of work in Montreal was as bad as any GM has ever been. I'm now very optimistic because unlike last time, I know the worst possible choice (Omar) won't be the choice this time.
                          "We have a plan; and I like our plan." ...Omar
                          "I belive in our minor leagers; and I like our minor leagers." ...Omar

Comment

NOTHING is going to change, all the verbal clues from the Wilpons the last few days are already there :disbelief:

Comment

The last time I had this feeling after an owner called a press conference, Leon Hess was carrying on about the new Jets coach that was going to save the franchise.....Rich Kotite.:disbelief:

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X