Mets contracts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mets contracts

I don't know anything about MLB contracts but is there a way to void the current contract and write a new one? I had the idea of having K-Rod sign a new contract to return to the team but at a much-reduced salary? What is this thing called league minimum salary? What does it mean to "eat" a contract? Pay it forward? Does it release a player into free agency or waivers?

And if K-Rod is signed to a smaller contract, could that free up some cash for the front office to acquire a new player?
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Is there a way to void a player's current contract and write a new one? If there was, I'm sure the Mets would have already done so in the case of Mr. Oliver Perez.

(Photo taken August 25, 2010. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)

(Photo taken October 3, 2010. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)
    X
    What's THAT guy doing?
    - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

MLB Contracts are guaranteed. In other words, once the contract is signed by both parties, the players makes all of the money in that contract. The MLB Union won't allow players to renegotiate contracts. Look at Alex Rodriguez when he was with Texas and was willing to rework his contract in order to be traded to the Red Sox but the Union stepped in and said no. The reason for this is to protect other players. Once that has been done, it sets the precendence for it to occur again.

As for eating a contract, that would mean that the Mets can release a player (ie: Perez, K-Rod, Castillo) but still be responsible for the remainder of the money left on that contract. If the player is released and the Mets are paying the remaining money on the contract, then another team can sign the player for the league minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post

(Photo taken October 3, 2010. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)
        If I were there, I would have thrown a shoe at Perez.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoeing
        The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X